Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What song would you like to hear the Eagles sing - either as a group or solo?

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: What song would you like to hear the Eagles sing - either as a group or solo?

I must say that when I posted the Free Bird suggestion I didn't think you'd particularly like it, F50. You're not the world's biggest Skynyrd fan IIRC - I like them but I can see why you don't like that style of music especially as a big Joe fan.

FP, I love both of those Rust Never Sleeps tracks but my preference for an Eagles cover would be Pocahontas. It would seem a bit odd for the Eagles to cover a song which is about Neil breaking away from Crosby, Stills and Nash. Don would probably be my choice to sing lead on Pocahontas, there is some common

Incidentally I have heard Joe do a version of Cinnamon Girl which I thought was pretty decent, wouldn't mind hearing the whole band do it. If it was an Eagles song I would see it as more of a Glenn song than a Don song, in a way it's a bit like, say, Heartache Tonight in that there's less emphasis on the actual lyrics.

In any case here's Joe playing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEJBxCOcoUk

I've also discovered that there was a Neil Young concert where he performed four of his own songs - including three brand new ones which turned up on the On The Beach album - and then played three songs with the Eagles, including Carol and Chug All Night, but also Neil's Down By The River. I thought 'Yeah, I could imagine them doing that one', although probably with some of the jamming cut (not all of it though, it would give Joe an excellent chance to show off his guitar), the chorus would sound great with Eagles harmonies I think. If they ever decide to do a covers album as a band (very unlikely but you never know) then Down By The River would not only be a good choice of song and artist to cover (I might be a bit biased in the latter instance) but one they have some historical claim to, as they did when they revisited How Long for LROOE.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: What song would you like to hear the Eagles sing - either as a group or solo?

It's true that Thrasher is a very personal song from Neil's viewpoint but I lvoe the epic sweep of it. So what about Cortez The Killer then? It would satisfy Don's interest in historical events & give Joe a showcase.

I would like Glenn to sing a song either on his own or with the Eagles that is NOT about 'love'. I worship the After Hours album but come on Glenn. You have a voice that could sing about anything. Any suggestions? Thinking about this what was the first song I thought of for him? She Belongs To Me by Dylan. A love song but the lyrics are at least slightly more interesting. I will say it; we need another Same Girl, Glenn!

Border Troubadour

I'd love to hear Don sing Declan O'Rourke's Galileo - I think it has a Talking to the Moon kind of a feel to it
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I would like Glenn to sing a song either on his own or with the Eagles that is NOT about 'love'. I worship the After Hours album but come on Glenn. You have a voice that could sing about anything. Any suggestions? Thinking about this what was the first song I thought of for him? She Belongs To Me by Dylan. A love song but the lyrics are at least slightly more interesting. I will say it; we need another Same Girl, Glenn!
    I played Glenn's, Same Girl last night and I thought about how he believed the line "a few more holes in your arm" was " a few more holes in your heart".

Credit to him, Glenn sings Randy Newman's, junkie lyrics but would he have considered covering it if he knew it was about a prostitute / pimp relationship.

I'm trying to think of some edgy songs for Glenn to sing and then I think, if Smuggler's Blues was an Eagles song, would Henley be the lead vocalist?

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'm trying to think of some edgy songs for Glenn to sing and then I think, if Smuggler's Blues was an Eagles song, would Henley be the lead vocalist?
    That's an interesting thought - while I love Glenn singing Smugglers blues, I would love to hear Don singing it as it has that rough edge feel to it....

I am trying to think of a song that I would like to hear Glenn sing that is not a love song or along the lines of Already Gone - he sings those songs so well... I need to make this a challenge for him
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

I think it's a bit sad to assume that SB would automatically have been sung by Don if the Eagles had recorded it. More than sad, actually. It reinforces even more the Glenn Only Sings Love Songs stuff.

He found out what Same Girl was about pretty quickly. He could have scrapped it. He didn't.

I think it's a bit sad to assume that SB would automatically have been sung by Don if the Eagles had recorded it. More than sad, actually. It reinforces even more the Glenn Only Sings Love Songs stuff.

He found out what Same Girl was about pretty quickly. He could have scrapped it. He didn't.
    Its not an automatic assumption on my part that Don would sing SB had it been an Eagles song......I would just love to hear Don sing it.
    As to who would actually sing it....that would be a hard choice....and it would probably be Glenn in the end as he likes to rock out when its not a love song

I've already said that I would like to hear Glenn sing something different. .....but not like After Hours. I listened to that recently and had to turn it off - but only because I hate jazz/piano type music like that. I'll stick to his other albums instead.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Border Rebel

Since he didn't write this with Don, I'm fairly sure Glenn would've sung it if the Eagles had recorded it. I think he does a fantastic job with it, and I recall hearing it for the first time thinking before the vocal came in that it sounded kind of like Henley musically.

Banned

I would like Glenn to sing a song either on his own or with the Eagles that is NOT about 'love'. I worship the After Hours album but come on Glenn. You have a voice that could sing about anything. Any suggestions?
    Well I thought I'd glance through my mp3 list, but starting with Z.

I haven't really got any ZZ Top but Warren Zevon, I've got tonnes.

Glenn was the only Eagle not involved in Zevon's last album but I actually got 20 tracks Glenn could do IMHO.
    Some Eagles played on a few of these:

Backs Turned Looking Down The Path
    Basket Case
    Battleship Chains
    Boom Boom Mancini
    Carmelita
    Detox Mansion
    Disorder In The House
    Excitable Boy
    Finishing Touches
    Gorilla You're A Desperado
    Hasten Down The Wind
    Join Me In LA
    Lawyers Guns And Money
    Mama Couldn't Be Pursauded
    Mr Bad Example
    Poor Poor Pitiful me
    Reconsider Me
    She's Too Good For Me
    Similar To Rain
    Suzie Lightning
    The Rest Of The Night

Not so easy with Van Morrison

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

It's true that Thrasher is a very personal song from Neil's viewpoint but I lvoe the epic sweep of it. So what about Cortez The Killer then? It would satisfy Don's interest in historical events & give Joe a showcase.
    I'd love them to cover Cortez The Killer - one of my absolute favourites by Neil Young, and I agree it would be a fine showcase for Joe.

Thrasher is another favourite of my mine although if it's epic sweep we want - how about Crime In The City? Absolutely terrific lyrics and Neil showed that it could be still be great if it was rearranged with the superb hard rocking version on the Weld and therefore I'm sure the Eagles could do a great job with it too. I can't immediately think of a possible arrangement but maybe a King Of Hollywood-style Don and Glenn duet would work for that song.