Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: learning more about the eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: learning more about the eagles

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I love the term "deep cut". It is often the more obscure songs that I love most. Queen is such a band. I love some of their hits, like We Are The Champions and Who Wants To Live Forever. But mostly I love their "deep cuts" like Tenement Funster, Nevermore, Lily Of The Valley, Drowse, White Queen, My Fairy King, Night Comes Down, Teo Torriatte, Long Away, Spread Your Wings, Princes Of The Universe.................

Eagles is interesting, because I love stuff like Take The Devil, Earlybird, Bitter Creek, JOFT, My Man etc. etc., but when I think about their hits, I love most of them too!
    Those are favourites of mine too. Perhaps we need a deep cuts of other artists thread. Then I can fill it up with Dire Straits songs.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I'd love a 'deep cuts' thread, I'd happily contribute to one by all means. When it comes to the Eagles I love both the hits and big songs and the deep cuts (by big songs I mean the likes of Desperado and In The City, which weren't singles so not really hits, but are recognised more widely than the outright deep cuts like Take The Devil and My Man to pick two of my firm personal favourites).

Interesting spot with that Long Run Leftover, F50 - I'd always noticed that that riff was used in Random Victims but not being too familiar with Glenn's solo career I didn't know that it had been 'recycled', kind of like how Joe used riffs from the Leftovers in the early 1980s on Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk) and I Told You So.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    As for the LE/TIE medley I saw him do it in 1988 when he was a guest with the Little River Band. Heartache Tonight was combined with LRB's The Night Owls but that worked much better than LE where he cut out half the story. It was wrong.
    I've also heard the Lying Eyes/Take It Easy medley with solo track, Part Of You Part Of Me separating them.
    I love Genesis instrumental medleys but when you have lyrics involved I think the Eagles, no medleys policy wins every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately
    Interesting spot with that Long Run Leftover, F50 - I'd always noticed that that riff was used in Random Victims but not being too familiar with Glenn's solo career I didn't know that it had been 'recycled', kind of like how Joe used riffs from the Leftovers in the early 1980s on Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk) and I Told You So.
    After listening to Long Run Leftovers again yesterday, I felt the urge to investigate further. There's a Felder guitar solo but it doesn't sound like Heavy Metal (You're Really High, Aren't You?), Bad Girls or Haywire.

Eagles - Long Run Leftovers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edXZ6Pb79II (at about 1min)

Stuck on the Border

[quote=Funk 50;298282]I've also heard the Lying Eyes/Take It Easy medley with solo track, Part Of You Part Of Me separating them.
    I love Genesis instrumental medleys but when you have lyrics involved I think the Eagles, no medleys policy wins every time.

I had forgotten that. What an utter travesty. The only tour ihe performed POMPOY & he ruined it by making it part of a medley. The solo song his fans love more than any other.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

POMPOY is a rather long song clocking in at over 6 minutes so maybe thats why he leaves it out. He could fit in two other songs for only a small amount more. But I'd love to hear him sing even SOME of it live. Come to think of it, I'd just love a live show anyway!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    POMPOY is a rather long song clocking in at over 6 minutes so maybe thats why he leaves it out. He could fit in two other songs for only a small amount more. But I'd love to hear him sing even SOME of it live. Come to think of it, I'd just love a live show anyway!!
    It's shorter than Lyin' Eyes.

I must agree on loving most of the "deep cuts'' on the all the Eagle albums. I've listened to some bands and they were indeed one hit wonders.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

With regard to medleys, I'm one that doesn't mind them. Now, obviously, I'd prefer to hear a song in its entirety, but, my attitude is usually that I'd rather hear something rather than nothing.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Troubadour

I don't recall ever seeing footage of it but when the guys do SBR / How Long (like they did at a couple of the Californian shows) don't they cut the last verse of the former and just go straight into the countdown at the start of How Long?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

tlr - They do usually cut the last verse of 7BR. However, there is a pause before they go into they go into the full version of How Long, so I don't consider it to be a medley. But FWIW, I do wish they would sing the last verse of 7BR, of course.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016