Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

Default Re: Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

I also think Glenn felt his partnership with Henley was creatively drained at the time. There were a couple years when he and Henley were on a roll with their songwriting, but it was a real struggle to write for The Long Run. It wasn't fun anymore. That's not a personal thing, it's a professional one. If they had still been churning out hits easily, I think Glenn and Henley would have kept the Eagles going regardless of friction with Felder.

I wonder - could they have fired him back then?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I can't think of the best place to ask this and I don't think it warrants a new thread so I'll stick it here - excuse the naivety in this question but as far as anyone knows, is Felder's exclusion from the HOTE tour because he simply isn't welcome or because of legal matters? I have no idea what the current state of play between Felder's and the Eagles's representatives is so I don't know if Felder is bound by the law not to associate with them.

(I don't want to start WW3 with people's opinions here, I was just wondering if anyone knew.)
    I'm sure it's because they didn't want to include him. I'll keep from sharing my thoughts on that.

While I personally enjoyed and didn't see anything wrong with the book, I'm sure he probably burnt bridges in the process. Then again, I'm of the belief that it wouldn't have mattered. IMO the lawsuit was the big deal. When lots of money comes into play with people it goes to their heads and they don't like to give it back up very easily. Gee, I wonder why?

But IMO he has every right to tell his side of things. IMO HOTE (doc) just proved how accurate he was in his retelling of "Long Night At Wrong Beach", as Glenn's comments were pretty much spot on as to what Felder said as far as what went down. He even had the "cheapest guitar" bit correct.

Again, I personally am a "nostalgic skeptical-optimist" so while I cross my fingers with one hand, I shake with the other. I really don't think it is going to happen at this point (bringing him back). If they were to do it, it would have happened on their History tour methinks.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I'm sure he probably burnt bridges in the process. Then again, I'm of the belief that it wouldn't have mattered. IMO the lawsuit was the big deal.
    Agreed. I think that when Glenn opened that envelope and saw that letter from Felder's lawyer, Felder was "in the penalty box for life."

That said, who knows. Maybe one day he'll forgive him and want to play with him again. Stranger things have happened.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    In 1982, both Glenn and Henley were telling the same story - the cause of the split wasn't their relationship but because Glenn was tired of being the leader and being hated for it. Who knows if it's true but at least they're consistent.
    I personally agree with this. I really doubt that it was Felder and Felder alone that caused the breakup. IMO it was an amalgamation of things and he was the last straw. But to put all of the blame for the Eagles problems getting along in the 70s on Felder's back is a bit much I think.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Agreed. I think that when Glenn opened that envelope and saw that letter from Felder's lawyer, Felder was "in the penalty box for life."

That said, who knows. Maybe one day he'll forgive him and want to play with him again. Stranger things have happened.
    Agreed. When money gets involved, I don't care who you are, things can get quite hasty. The lawsuit was the last nail in the coffin, so to speak.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Back to tlr's original question - Is Felder's exclusion from the HOTE tour because he simply isn't welcome or because of legal matters?

I believe it is actually both. At the time of the HOTE doc and planning for the tour, there were supposedly still pending legal matters. I doubt if he could have been invited back because of that. But, even if there were none, I don't believe he was welcome at that point .

I would personally be very shocked if they ever reconciled and performed together again. I actually think the problems go much deeper than just the book. I don't recall anyone saying that everything was all Felder's fault, however, he certainly wasn't without blame either.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I don't recall anyone saying that everything was all Felder's fault, however, he certainly wasn't without blame either.
    I never said he was without blame.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Whereas Frey and Henley were absolutely perfect in the matter.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Whereas Frey and Henley were absolutely perfect in the matter.
    Hehehe.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

There was some interview with Don Henley where he said the Felder continued to sue them, possibly from autumn 2013. And then in one interview Don Felder indicated he'd be willing to work with the others but there would have to be changes. I can just see Henley and Frey agreeing to that!

Look at it from Azoff's side. With Bernie, they have three of the original four on stage (and they'd have had all four if they could have managed it), they can sell out arenas at high prices with the current formation of the band, so just how much monetary value would Felder add? Against that, the risk of friction on the tour would increase considerably and would likely shorten the duration. Far better to play safe and stick with the guitarist who can play the parts, knows his place and is "good on the bus".

Now if it was a one-off benefit concert, I could see that happening at some point.