Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deep Tracks

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Deep Tracks

I hate to think of POMPOY, Glenn's greatest solo song, as a deep track. But it isn't even on Live In Dublin, so....

I don't know about WMT, because it IS on Dublin. I tend to think that if songs are on videos or DVDs, they're not deep cuts. Smuggler's Blues is perhaps his best known song after THIO & YBTTC, so not deep. Same for TOYL which is in his solo setlist. Remember I saw these songs played as recently as 2013.

These, however, I would call deep tracks:

All Those Lies
    That Girl
    The Allnighter (even though it's the title track of an album)
    Flip City (you really have to be a fan to know it)
    Working Man (both fast & slow versions)
    It's Your Life
    It's Cold In Here
    Ain't In Love (both the last mentioned are truly deep as they only had limited release)
    I hesitate to name the entire Strange Weather album but not one track has been played from it live since 2000.

For whatever reason Henley's albums don't seem to have 'deep' tracks to me. I guess the most obvious is the wonderful A Month Of Sundays which is my favourite song by him. I would have to agree with You Don't Know Me At All. I would think others might mention his movie soundtrack songs.

Banned

I dunno what the other Brits here think but the Eagles are pretty much an irrelevance in the UK media nowadays. They hardly ever make the top 100 artists played on the BBC each week.

It's not rare to hear the Eagles on the radio but compared to previous decades, it's a tiny amount despite there still being a lot of 70s radio presenters presenting regular radio shows.

Individually, Glenn Frey has one track, The Heat Is On. Henley has The Boys Of Summer and maybe The End Of The Innocence. I heard Funk #49 and Ashes, The Rain And I (The James Gang) for the first time on radio this year but a Walsh track would inevitably be Rocky Mountain Way or Life's Been Good.

The HFO resumption has been a resounding triumph for the band but the music they've produced together and separately since, has failed to make the same impact as the music they produced before it, at least here in the UK.

So despite Hell Freezes Over and Long Road Out Of Eden being big hit albums, I'd consider all the solo material, barring the tracks I've named, and all the new material, since HFO to be Eagles deep tracks.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    For whatever reason Henley's albums don't seem to have 'deep' tracks to me. I guess the most obvious is the wonderful A Month Of Sundays which is my favourite song by him. I would have to agree with You Don't Know Me At All. I would think others might mention his movie soundtrack songs.
    Well - that's an interesting observation, FP as I feel like there are numerous deep tracks on Henley's solo albums ... too numerous to list, but if I just look at I Can't Stand Still alone, the only track on it that I don't consider a deep cut is Dirty Laundry. I guess we have different perspectives about what constitutes a 'deep track'.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I dunno what the other Brits here think but the Eagles are pretty much an irrelevance in the UK media nowadays. They hardly ever make the top 100 artists played on the BBC each week.

It's not rare to hear the Eagles on the radio but compared to previous decades, it's a tiny amount despite there still being a lot of 70s radio presenters presenting regular radio shows.

Individually, Glenn Frey has one track, The Heat Is On. Henley has The Boys Of Summer and maybe The End Of The Innocence. I heard Funk #49 and Ashes, The Rain And I (The James Gang) for the first time on radio this year but a Walsh track would inevitably be Rocky Mountain Way or Life's Been Good.

The HFO resumption has been a resounding triumph for the band but the music they've produced together and separately since, has failed to make the same impact as the music they produced before it, at least here in the UK.

So despite Hell Freezes Over and Long Road Out Of Eden being big hit albums, I'd consider all the solo material, barring the tracks I've named, and all the new material, since HFO to be Eagles deep tracks.
    I'm sorry but I don't consider solo material counts as 'Eagles' deep tracks.

Are you now saying the tracks you listed are NOT deep tracks? Certainly a couple of the Frey tracks you listed aren't, as I already said.

I just am not sure that it's right to label an entire album as consisting of 'deep tracks' because it may not have been commercially successful. I don't think How Long is deep, or Busy Being Fabulous, because there were videos for those songs. The title track of LROOE & Waiting In The Weeds became two of the band's best known songs.

I guess After Hours 'failed to make an impact' but if 'deep' means only Glenn Frey fanatics are aware of the songs, I think that's too harsh.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well - that's an interesting observation, FP as I feel like there are numerous deep tracks on Henley's solo albums ... too numerous to list, but if I just look at I Can't Stand Still alone, the only track on it that I don't consider a deep cut is Dirty Laundry. I guess we have different perspectives about what constitutes a 'deep track'.
    I guess I would list the following Henley songs as deep. As I said in my previous post I don't agree with labelling most of an album 'deep' just because it isn't that well known. I will list two from each album.

Long Way Home
    Lilah
    A Month Of Sundays
    You're Not Drinking Enough
    How Bad Do You Want It?
    If Dirt Were Dollars
    Damn It, Rose
    Nobody Else In The World But You

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't consider solo material counts as 'Eagles' deep tracks.

Are you now saying the tracks you listed are NOT deep tracks? Certainly a couple of the Frey tracks you listed aren't, as I already said.

I just am not sure that it's right to label an entire album as consisting of 'deep tracks' because it may not have been commercially successful. I don't think How Long is deep, or Busy Being Fabulous, because there were videos for those songs. The title track of LROOE & Waiting In The Weeds became two of the band's best known songs.

I guess After Hours 'failed to make an impact' but if 'deep' means only Glenn Frey fanatics are aware of the songs, I think that's too harsh.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with being labelled a deep track. I'm a huge Walsh fan. Here in the UK, most of his albums didn't even make the charts. I spent many years just trying to locate them. The first time I saw a Joe Walsh set list, Funk #49 was, I thought, the most obscure song listed.

It's difficult to know how well known the Eagles are in the UK. They're almost anonymous in the modern media but they still fill all the big arenas when they perform here.

The solitary Henley show I attended, at the peak of his success, was a nowhere near full arena. Schmit filled a small venue of a couple of hundred people.

As someone who doesn't really watch music videos, they don't really have an impact on my opinion of a song.

Wild Mountain Thyme is a track Glenn Frey has never done a studio recording of and has performed very rarely, maybe even, only once in his career. I'd guess that more people are aware of Flip City than Glenn's version of Wild Mountain Thyme.

To reiterate, in the UK, I'd consider all the solo material, barring Glenn's, The Heat Is On, Henley's, The Boys Of Summer and The End Of The Innocence plus Joe's, Rocky Mountain Way or Life's Been Good to be deep cuts as well as all the new Eagles material, since HFO.

I don't know if you're aware of the popular TV quiz show Pointless but I'd consider any answer to the question "Name any Eagles track or solo Eagles track" that would get an answer in single figures, to be a deep track. So it's not an exact science and there is probably more grey than black and white.

I only have FM radio, so everything played is a hit. I heard "Hotel California" within 15 minutes of each other.

Because I'm in Michigan, they tend to play a lot of Eagles since Glenn is from Detroit