Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Desperado"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "Desperado"

Here's a setlist from Tampa, Florida on 6th June 1973 on the "Desperado" tour.
    That's eight songs from the Desperado album. All that's missing is Saturday Night and Doolin-Dalton (unless it's in with Doolin-Dalton.Desperado reprise). Interesting to see Bernie with more lead vocals than Don

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Here's a setlist from Tampa, Florida on 6th June 1973 on the "Desperado" tour.

That's eight songs from the Desperado album. All that's missing is Saturday Night and Doolin-Dalton (unless it's in with Doolin-Dalton.Desperado reprise). Interesting to see Bernie with more lead vocals than Don
    And Doolin-Dalton Instrumental

If you swapped Earlybird for something like Saturday Night or Chug All Night that would be pretty much my perfect early Eagles setlist. I suspect Doolin-Dalton would have been in before the Reprise (like it was on DKRC and the Seattle bootleg), it would be quite bizarre to perform it alone, bearing in mind pretty much all its context is in the original.

I think it says a lot about just how quickly Henley became the 'voice' (rightly or wrongly) of the band: on the first album he only has two leads, the same as Bernie, and one less than Glenn and Randy. Both singles from Desperado were Glenn leads, and the parity in vocals pretty much stayed until (after) On the Border (3 shared and 1 joint each for Don and Glenn, 2 for Randy, 1 Bernie).

We should keep in mind that those set lists aren't necessarily accurate.

As for swapping out Earlybird... That was a real showpiece for Bernie back in the day. He did an amazing banjo solo at the end that lifts it far above the album version. I was hoping he'd play that for this tour, but it might have been too high energy for the early half of the show.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

Did Bernie play banjo during the HOTE concerts?

When he was asked to join up with the band, I can imagine him asking "Shall I bring my banjo?"

Even with Bernie I couldn't see them performing, yee ha, country music like Midnight Flyer or Foggy Mountain Breakdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RvI6ZI2JWc

I'd love to see Bernie and Joe do the bluegrass Doolin/Dalton reprise. On the Desperado album, Bernie plays both instruments.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Did Bernie play banjo during the HOTE concerts?

When he was asked to join up with the band, I can imagine him asking "Shall I bring my banjo?"

Even with Bernie I couldn't see them performing, yee ha, country music like Midnight Flyer or Foggy Mountain Breakdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RvI6ZI2JWc

I'd love to see Bernie and Joe do the bluegrass Doolin/Dalton reprise. On the Desperado album, Bernie plays both instruments.
    He played banjo in DD Reprise.

Border Troubadour

Found this ages ago but rediscovered it the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-ma_nPOZn0

I wonder if that's just JD's own take on it or if that's what D-D was originally before they decided to forge the Reprise out of it?

I heard him do this version live several years ago. It's fantastic. From the way he talked about it, I think it's an earlier "draft" of what the Eagles recorded.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - I love that too. However, I have to say, I'm glad the Eagles versions with two songs turned out the way they did.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quick question: Does anyone know what was etched into the runout grooves of side 2? I just discovered "Craig says hi" on side 1 of my copy, but I can't find anything on side 2.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Mine has the super-exciting "EAGLES Side Two Stereo". The other side is equally exciting. However, it is a UK pressing. I don't have anything on "Eagles" or "On the Border".