Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The 10 Weakest (not bad-- just weak) songs by the Eagles

Out on the Border

Default Re: The 10 Weakest (not bad-- just weak) songs by the Eagles

I also wanted to note that I didn’t include new material. I wanted to keep it “core Eagles”-meaning from Eagles to the Long Run. I wanted to make it as tough as possible for me. If I added new stuff half the list wouldn’t be there (i.e. Best Of My Love & Wasted Time).

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Before I give my list, a couple things....

amusefilms---Love this topic, do not be sorry you started it! But have to say this is one of the hardest list I've ever had to make. And I also feel there really isn't any really BAD songs by the Eagles. And wish you would have added new stuff since you say that would of saved Best Of My Love.

Soda--funny, your worst list could almost be my best list.

In no particular order...
    1. Visions
    2. Early Bird
    3 Most Of Us Are Sad
    4. Journey Of The Sorcerer
    5. Tryin'
    6. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
    7. I Wish You Peace
    8. My Man
    9. Ol' 55
    10. You Never Cry Like A Lover
    He sings it high, he plays it low

And three of yours are on my "Most Underrated" list! (Most of Us Are Sad, Ol' 55, and My Man)

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Okay, including the newer stuff (sorry to say, I enjoy the older stuff much more).
    Also, I feel you need to add time to songs. Some songs I didn’t like at first...but I ended up loving later (Journey Of The ]Sorcerer comes to mind). And others I loved at first but now I don’t like (i.e. You Never Cry Like A Lover). So I felt I needed to wait on the newer stuff before I judged them. But with that being said….including newer material here is my Weakest list:

1) Get Over It (I know this one is popular, but to me the lyrics might as well be “You Kids Get Off My Lawn!”-they were definitely watching too much Jerry Springer when they wrote this one).
    2) Teenage Jail
    3) Disco Strangler
    4) Frail Grasp on the Big Picture
    5) The Girl From Yesterday
    6) Love Will Keep Us Alive
    7) I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
    8. Business As Usual
    9) Most Of Us Are Sad
    10) You Never Cry Like A Lover

I don't know whether I have the ability to make either the "weakest" or "most underrated" song lists in a reasonable period of time without driving myself to drink...but I do notice that some of my faves are on some of your weakest lists (and vice versa on the underrated lists as well.) I think there are a couple of demographic factors that might come into play...gender of the Borderer, as well as age. Some of the songs that really grab at the heartstrings of us freckle-counters might absolutely turn the stomachs of the men here. In addition, an old song that meant a lot to one of us "oldies but goodies" simply because of what we were going through at the time the album came out, might be completely insignificant to some of the spring chickens. I realize that these are by far not the only factors that come into play, as I know that EL, Peek, and Troub love many of the older songs, too! (I actually think gender might play a little more of a role than age, IMHO.)
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

EV- I really hadn't given that a thought but you might be right. Wouldn't be interesting if someone here had the ability to "analyze" the list and actually come up with a conclusion of some sort! To me it is funny how someone's weakest song can show up on someone elses underrated songs list and vice versa.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

I guess I should have known that I Love To Watch A Woman Dance would show up on a couple of 'weakest' lists sooner or later.

AF, you say they were watching too much Jerry Springer when they wrote Get Over It. They are satirising that type of mentality. They aren't being critical of the younger generation which is what you seem to be implying. The key line might be 'you're making the most of your losing streak'.

Ok I'm a 25 year old female EV

This is tough! I have typed out and erased over and over again but here is what I'm going with for their 10 weakest songs, in no particular order!

1. Journey Of The Sorcerer
    2. Earlybird
    3. Visions
    4. Take The Devil
    5. Disco Strangler
    6. Most Of Us Are Sad
    7. Is It True
    8. Tryin'
    9. My Man
    10. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance

But again, honestly it almost comes down to an opinion of least favorite because I consider these songs the "weakest" because they either don't do anything for me lyrically or they don't do anything for me musically. But on the other hand, I LOVE "Fast Company" which a lot of people here dislike and consider weak.

I think the wide disparity of choices simply underscores how subjective assessments like "This song is horrible" or "this song is terrific" are. We each have different criteria, and even the most lauded songs have detractors - likewise, even the most unpopular songs have people out there that find them to be brilliant. I guess the moral of the story is: it's all good!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Wink Re: The 10 Weakest (not bad-- just weak) songs by the Eagles

Oh boy, this one is going to take some thought! Somebody really opened a can of worms with this one . I have to agree tho we all seem to pick our songs with different criteria and that's what makes it interesting. Some use association to emotions , some to life events,others the music itself or the lyrics. I agree I think age,gender and geography do play into our choices a lot. Ok lesson over that being said now I've got to go figure out my list!!

TELL ME WHAT YOU DREAM AT NIGHT WHEN YOU'RE SLEEPING