Page 39 of 145 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    Nope, I was willing to be educated. But I took the evasion to the question as an indication to the answer. There's an actual conversation we could have about Vince Gill, what his participation symbolizes, how it has been generally received and if there are people who attend based on his appearances. I've actually asked that question to fellow concertgoers, but I guess it's more fun to speculate and assume whatever fits one's personal narrative.

I know no one is actually interested in that conversation, though, so I'll continue to have it in my own head. It's more reasonable up there.
    I answered your question. See my previous post. No, they have not marketed it as 'see them while you have a chance'. I haven't seen any marketing. I'm not in America. Have there been TV ads? I don't know. All I know is that on this board, 'see them while you can' has been one of the arguments used.

Gill's participation is another thing altogether. If you wish to discuss it, start a separate thread. However, as you say, if you feel that only your opinions are 'reasonable' then leave it. But both Walshfan & myself did address what you asked, briefly.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    From Felder’s book he complained about how outrageous the prices were for HFO. I’m not sure how expensive they were for the times but it’s not like the band hasn’t had really high prices before. I agree that they are probably excessive now and it’s weird that they charge more since Glenn passed but it’s not like they were above this thing in the past

YEF - I saw the HFO concert at the Spectrum in Philly in March 1995. I paid $75.00 for my ticket, which was unbelievably high at that time but a good seat. I think I sat in first mez. if I remember right. The top ticket price was around $100.00. I remember Don F. bitching about it in his book. However, he had no problem taking the money from each concert at every venue he played at. The ticket prices now are insane. To pay over $1,600.00 for the front row seats is insane. That is without Glenn and more than they charged for the HOTE Tour.

Banned

I meant "reasoned" instead of reasonable.

Why would I need to start a new thread? It fits perfectly into this topic. I saw the band 30 times with Glenn and have seen approximately 20 percent of the shows with Vince. There is no comparison. I think everyone wants to make a comparison, however, which is why there are so many disagreements. But if we talked about Vince's contributions, qualifications and achievements in any context that didn't include Glenn, we might find some common ground. But many would prefer to dismiss him, so we can't do that.

The Glenn-led Eagles were my favorite thing in the world by 100 miles. This Eagles is still my favorite thing even though they're not the same and it's not 100 miles anymore.

Banned

For example, I think there is a reason that Vince doesn't speak to the crowd during the shows. The band is cognizant that would come across as him being an "Eagle," which could upset even those who don't consider themselves die-hard fans. Especially when it's at the expense of Glenn, or Glenn's presence, or Glenn's memory. He is there as a vessel delivering Glenn's music, in celebration, and trying to deliever as authentic a performance as possible. One that is true to himself and to Glenn. Vince doesn't get in the way. I get that whether or not he should be there, or whether the band should be performing, is a totally separate argument. But they do pull it off. It's still great. Vince singing Lyin' Eyes is not the Eagles (I don't take the name thing too seriously; it's just a name), but it is, to borrow a phrase from Don, up to band standards.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    YEF - I saw the HFO concert at the Spectrum in Philly in March 1995. I paid $75.00 for my ticket, which was unbelievably high at that time but a good seat. I think I sat in first mez. if I remember right. The top ticket price was around $100.00. I remember Don F. bitching about it in his book. However, he had no problem taking the money from each concert at every venue he played at. The ticket prices now are insane. To pay over $1,600.00 for the front row seats is insane. That is without Glenn and more than they charged for the HOTE Tour.
    Don’t get me wrong NKIT, I don’t like the prices I just wanted to say this isn’t unprecented for the band to do so is all

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    I meant "reasoned" instead of reasonable.

Why would I need to start a new thread? It fits perfectly into this topic. I saw the band 30 times with Glenn and have seen approximately 20 percent of the shows with Vince. There is no comparison. I think everyone wants to make a comparison, however, which is why there are so many disagreements. But if we talked about Vince's contributions, qualifications and achievements in any context that didn't include Glenn, we might find some common ground. But many would prefer to dismiss him, so we can't do that.

The Glenn-led Eagles were my favorite thing in the world by 100 miles. This Eagles is still my favorite thing even though they're not the same and it's not 100 miles anymore.

All the more reason why it should be a separate topic. Discussing Gill here in my view amounts to an agreement that this situation exists. This thread is specifically for people who don't agree with it. If you wish to discuss Gill's contributions or performances or whatever, surely you can start a thread in the Eagles Guests forum. There you can pretend that you can discuss him without comparing him to Glenn to your heart's content. There is no point in my addressing your next post. I don't wish to involve myself. I would just be repeating myself. I will say though that it does not matter how accomplished hie is or how hard he tries. He is NOT 'up to band standards' and he never will be. Neither is he 'authentic'.

However at the end of the day this is a matter for Soda. I guess if she thinks it's OK to discuss Gill here then it is.

Border Desperado

Concerning the topic of people using the "last chance" approach to sell tickets------to be fair, there is a video on Youtube of an interview that Glenn, Joe and Timothy gave to an Australian tv station when they were there for the HOTE tour. I don't remember Glenn's exact words but they were something similar to "People should come and see us now. We don't know if this will be it, but we do know the numbers". I remembered thinking after he passed that his statement seemed almost prophetic.
    So the sentiments about being "the last chance or the last time" were being expressed prior to 2017. I don't know and don't care if his words influenced ticket sales. It didn't bother me in 2015 and it doesn't bother me in 2017 either. Right or wrong, maximizing ticket sales for any event is all part of the business and most people know and understand that.

Feb-March 2015 Australia tour they'd been on break since October. Tim, Joe and Glenn all looked great but sounded tired and most likely were fatigued it's a long trip. Glenn urging people to come see them sounded to me like he wasn't all that optimistic about another world wide tour any time soon if ever. My experience of Glenn is that he was a realist and not afraid to speak his mind. He may have already decided he was personally done with all the stress and hard work. Touring is financially rewarding but at what point is enough - enough? Glenn had other interests as well. We will most likely never know exactly what was on his mind when he made that comment but my sense is that he did know the numbers and would have been satisfied to call it a day after the HOTE finally ended in July.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Border Desperado

We also will never know what he meant when he hugged Bernie Leadon and said "This isn't the end" after the last HOTE show in Bossier, LA.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Two Taylor Swift shows in Croke Park here (80,000 capacity) are sell outs. I got face value tickets for my daughter and her friend, lower stand one night for about €120 each and upper stand the following night for €80 each. They are trying to get us Irish into the whole VIP thing and different packages but we aren't really into it. Ed Sheeran is doing a few dates in Dublin in the summer but he refused to do presale. All tickets have gone for face value. You have your name on the ticket and have to provide ID if you bought it cash at a TM outlet. If you bought it online you will need your credit card that you booked it on. Seatwave, Platinum and Stubhub etc are not allowed carry tickets for his shows. Irish pewrople are sick of the whole reslae thing and don't buy into it as a rule. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by TimBFan View Post
    The Taylor Swift presale for her Arrowhead concert was unbelievable. Most of the floor seats are gone, and the ones that are available are $1495! I tried for handicap accessible seating, and evidently those are gone as well. High, high, high, high seating still available for under $50 for those who don’t have mobility issues and don’t mind looking at a stage the size of a thumbnail.

No wonder she’s doing a stadium tour ... 30,000 fans per venue is going to rake in big bucks.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP