Page 135 of 157 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1566

Thread: What are you listening to right now?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: What are you listening to right now?

The Blockheads have gone on without Ian Dury?

I'm on a Beach Boys binge this a.m., now afternoon.

Stuck on the Border

Mike + the Mechanics - the Singles double CD.

It's hard to relate to it as 'Mike Rutherford' because he doesn't sing lead & there is barely any guitar work. While the songs are catchy they're not in the same league as his other band or his other bandmates, and I prefer Tony Banks' work too, even with other singers.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    The Blockheads have gone on without Ian Dury?
    Yes. They released the album "Where's The Party" in 2004, which had a variety of band members singing and song styles. Then they released the album "Staring Down The Barrel" in 2009. I think this is their most 'Dury'-like of their albums. Ian's ex-minder/chauffer Derek the Draw wrote the lyrics and sing/speaks in Dury's style. He's a replacement Dury on that album, but IMHO he fulfills that role well and the album compares well to albums with Dury, though the lyrics aren't as good/witty as Ian's (who does write such lyrics) and the music doesn't quite match New Boots and Panties. Perhaps the album tries a bit hard to be Dury-like. There are worse styles to try and ape and IMHO not all of Dury's albums matched his best.

Here's one of their songs that had a video made for it, from the Staring Down the Barrel album. Spot the famous actors, including a well-known hobbit, in it. I don't think this is the best song on the album. But, this one gets a video as it was the single. Songs such as 'Roll Over', 'A Little Knowledge' (albeit very Dury-by-numbers lyrics), 'George The Human Pigeon', 'Dirty Money' etc. are more interesting, IMHO.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cTT4pD4fNA[/ame]

In 2013 they released "Same Horse Different Jockey" which is a bit different, with them adopting more of their own, more electronic, style. Derek the Draw is on all tracks. I like that album more because it sounds more like a band doing their own thing rather than trying to ape Dury.

I can imagine some people not liking the band going on without Dury, but I think they are too good a band to never record again.

I'm on a Beach Boys binge this a.m., now afternoon.
    Beach Boys? Good idea. I might have a BB binge tomorrow. I feel like listening to Brian's solo album 'That Lucky Old Sun' again. I really like that one.
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 08-22-2016 at 07:02 PM.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

"Doo Wah Diddy Diddy"--Manfred Mann
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Jimi Hendrix. Are You Experienced

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

"Unchained Melody"--The Righteous Brothers
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Here's one of their songs that had a video made for it, from the Staring Down the Barrel album. Spot the famous actors, including a well-known hobbit, in it.
    I recognize the actors (except for the tall bloke), though their names are not forthcoming. I want to say "Toby" for the blonde one.

W's post about "Doo Wah Diddy" put me in mind of the original by the aptly-named Exciters; the lead singer could have given Darlene Love a run for her money https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob7XDxPtS8Q

The Exciters are best known for their hit, "Tell Him": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah-tui1ubnU

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I recognize the actors (except for the tall bloke), though their names are not forthcoming. I want to say "Toby" for the blonde one.
    Toby Jones is one of them. He's been in loads of things recently, including the biopic of Ramanujan: The Man Who Knew Infinity. The tall guy is Rowland Rivron. I think everyone knows the hobbit

Toby was in a tv version of The Old Curiosity Shop, that's where I'd seen him + one of the Harry Potter films and The Painted Veil.

I'm familiar with the French and Saunders tv show, but didn't remember the tall bloke. Martin Freeman, the hobbit if you will, is most familiar from the Sherlock series with that Cumberbatch fellow, though I stopped watching after the first season.

Stuck on the Border

Toby was in a tv version of The Old Curiosity Shop, that's where I'd seen him + one of the Harry Potter films and The Painted Veil.

I'm familiar with the French and Saunders tv show, but didn't remember the tall bloke. Martin Freeman, the hobbit if you will, is most familiar from the Sherlock series with that Cumberbatch fellow, though I stopped watching after the first season.
    He's Tim from The Office (Briitish version) & always will be where I'm concerned.