Page 50 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    On that line, maybe Don needs encouragement to be more than an Eagles tribute act. That's the safe option but even if his show was only 50% Eagles, that might satisfy the audience.
    I have two differing opinions on this.

1 - I more than anything would love him to real put his nose to the grindstone and write some more music AND play it live.

But 2 - And I don't want to sound cold here, but now that the Eagles are no more I want to still be able to hear a lot of those songs any chance I get with any of the guys solo, including Felder. Maybe he should do less of the pre-On The Border ones, but I still like to hear those songs being played by a guy who was in the Eagles, regardless if he was on the record or not as he played them perfectly live so many times. I also realize that it is weird for him to do songs he didn't record on, but it's an Eagles song and I'll take it lol.

-----

It's a hard choice but I'd be content with him playing all of the songs he played a part in with the band, and save some space for more solo material past, present, and future. Whether it's 50/50 or 75 (Eagles) and 25 (solo). I wouldn't be happy with 75 (solo) and 25 (Eagles) though, I have to be honest.

But I'd hate to see any of the guys solo and only hear one or two Eagles songs. I would be disappointed, I know I would. Heck I saw the LROOE tour and they played all my favorites but one and I was STILL slightly disappointed. Only on the HOTE tour were all of my favorites played.

But when it comes down to it, I'm more a fan of 70s rock music (I have to say I prefer it to any of their solo work), but I'd give any and all new music a chance with me as I have for every solo record.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    This the only thing I agree with Felder on. He has every right to be for the lack of a better term ticked off on being fired. I mean who wouldn't be mad about being fired from a job they supposedly loved and been apart off for so long. Everything else I disagree with.
    Yes, but to still carry such a huge grudge over it, 15 years later, seems a pointless waste of time. He has never tried to examine WHY he was fired. He just thinks everyone else was to blame.

I have to say I found the story of him 'running into' Irving hard to believe. Where? How? And then the seemingly callous, unconcerned way he quoted himself basically saying 'hey Irving. Shame about Glenn. What about ME'?

You can hear Eagles songs any time you like, sung by most of the people who actually sang them, as opposed to sung by a tribute act who, according to another thread, doesn't even sing live. For me it doesn't matter, as I will never hear any of these songs live ever again.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I don't claim to have any particular power to read the minds of people I've never met.

But, professionally, being a member of Eagles has been Don F's career highlight. I wonder if he'd prefer to have been a more central part of it. Being paid less would have emphasised that he wasn't. Being fired even more so.

Not many ex-band members get to come back with something bigger and better. (Maybe Richard Barbieri of Japan, and later Porcupine Tree, might have done that.) It's not just a matter of whether he worked hard. No matter how hard someone works and how talented people are, only a few tens of people or hundreds at most out of the billions of people in the world get to be part of a band as big as Eagles.

It's a bit late now, but I wonder if there couldn't have been a Felder-Meisner-Leadon-Souther-Tempchin band. Maybe too many cooks, but there wouldn't have been a shortage of talent. And wasn't a band with multiple singer/songwriters been what Eagles was supposed to have been in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You can hear Eagles songs any time you like, sung by most of the people who actually sang them, as opposed to sung by a tribute act who, according to another thread, doesn't even sing live. For me it doesn't matter, as I will never hear any of these songs live ever again.
    I don't believe for a second Don uses tracks or autotune. The only time I've heard him use tracks is when he plays by himself on TV shows.

I mean, look, the guy isn't so smart when it comes to how he comes across and he can be an egocentric ass sometimes but I have to give credit where it's due. The man can sing. As good as Glenn or Don, no. But he can sing on pitch. Now if you listen to the music coming out of LA now - that is autotuned. Which is why my favorite music today is coming out of Nashville.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    I don't claim to have any particular power to read the minds of people I've never met.

But, professionally, being a member of Eagles has been Don F's career highlight. I wonder if he'd prefer to have been a more central part of it. Being paid less would have emphasised that he wasn't. Being fired even more so.

Not many ex-band members get to come back with something bigger and better. (Maybe Richard Barbieri of Japan, and later Porcupine Tree, might have done that.) It's not just a matter of whether he worked hard. No matter how hard someone works and how talented people are, only a few tens of people or hundreds at most out of the billions of people in the world get to be part of a band as big as Eagles.

It's a bit late now, but I wonder if there couldn't have been a Felder-Meisner-Leadon-Souther-Tempchin band. Maybe too many cooks, but there wouldn't have been a shortage of talent. And wasn't a band with multiple singer/songwriters been what Eagles was supposed to have been in the first place?
    Of course it was his career highlight, but he never attempted to build on it, whereas, for example, Paul McCartney, who was in the biggest band of all time, did. Peter Gabriel & Phil Collins did. Mark Knopfler did. Whether or not their solo music is better is another question. At least they tried. At least they made an effort.

The lineup you suggest might have worked on record but not live because - none of those people, Meisner included, are frontmen in the sense Frey & Henley (and Walsh) were. In that lineup, Felder would still only have been a guitar player, not a singer or songwriter.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-30-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I don't believe for a second Don uses tracks or autotune. The only time I've heard him use tracks is when he plays by himself on TV shows.

I mean, look, the guy isn't so smart when it comes to how he comes across and he can be an egocentric ass sometimes but I have to give credit where it's due. The man can sing. As good as Glenn or Don, no. But he can sing on pitch. Now if you listen to the music coming out of LA now - that is autotuned. Which is why my favorite music today is coming out of Nashville.
    I'm not saying he has used a pre-recorded vocal track throughout his solo career, but IMO you only have to compare performances from different nights to see that he has for the past year or two. His vocal performances are INDENTICAL every night. And if Felder doesn't use a pre-recorded vocal track, he's the only singer I know of who can produce words/melodies without actually singing them. He misses the word "'cos" on Peaceful Easy Feeling often, but still we hear it. Unless there's someone else in the band with a similar voice singing throughout the song.

There are a lot of people on YouTube who have pointed this out too. Of course I can't say with 100% certainty to other people that he's lip syncing because I don't know (no one who works for him has confirmed it). And I don't actually want anyone to just believe me without checking it out him/herself. But personally I believe so until something tells me otherwise.
    Last edited by chaim; 05-30-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I don't believe for a second Don uses tracks or autotune. The only time I've heard him use tracks is when he plays by himself on TV shows. .
    Despite you not believing it for a second, the second half of the sentence confirms that Felder is comfortable using prerecorded tracks when he performs live. Why wouldn't he use them for his vocals?

He's pitch perfect but you wouldn't have him leading a choir.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Take Souther and Tempchin out of the list as they were always much closer to Frey and Henley and that association has been financially rewarding for both of them.

Didn't Leadon and Meisner work together briefly during the 80s? I don't believe Felder had any contact with Leadon and Meisner from the time they left until after the reunion, based on his book and interviews with Leadon and Meisner. However, Felder did try to put together a group with Walsh and Schmit during the break.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Take Souther and Tempchin out of the list as they were always much closer to Frey and Henley and that association has been financially rewarding for both of them.

Didn't Leadon and Meisner work together briefly during the 80s? I don't believe Felder had any contact with Leadon and Meisner from the time they left until after the reunion, based on his book and interviews with Leadon and Meisner. However, Felder did try to put together a group with Walsh and Schmit during the break.
    Yeah, I can see the closeness to Frey & Henley, and (@Freypower) I can see the problem of a lack of a natural frontman. However, I like discussing possibilities.

I had a look and couldn't see Leadon/Meisner work, but Randy has done and awful lot and there could easily be something not covered on Wiki etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Despite you not believing it for a second, the second half of the sentence confirms that Felder is comfortable using prerecorded tracks when he performs live. Why wouldn't he use them for his vocals?

He's pitch perfect but you wouldn't have him leading a choir.
    I disagree on both points.

I think he's a far better singer than people around here give him credit for.

The only time he's used tracks that I've heard is on TV appearances because he didn't have a band behind him. It was him and an acoustic guitar. He used a drum track and harmony vocals to fill it out. That makes perfect since and even the best of singer/guitarist would need something to keep rhythm and fill in harmony vocals in a solo performance of something that was done in a band context.