Thread: Randy's discography

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Default Re: Randy's discography

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Charlie Rich Jr worked with Randy for a few years with Black Tie and Meisner, Swan, Rich. He also attended a very Early Eagles show supporting Yes. Walsh was a mutual friend. Who would a thought it

http://www.charlierichjr.com/friends/randy/

Hi, guys. I've been reading this thread and following all the links to Randy. Enjoyed it tremendously! Thanks!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Charlie Rich Jr worked with Randy for a few years with Black Tie and Meisner, Swan, Rich. He also attended a very Early Eagles show supporting Yes. Walsh was a mutual friend. Who would a thought it

http://www.charlierichjr.com/friends/randy/
    Thanks, that's interesting.

You can see how the Eagles way of doing things continued in solo careers. Not just Glenn and Henley but also Randy, Felder and even Joe. It seems they all learned a degree of discipline by working together.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

"He told me that in the early days of The Eagles, the record label didn't know what to do with them. They had them opening for Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin." That was one of Randy's pre-Eagles bands, The Poor, who opened for the Jimi Hendrix Experience at the Salvation Club in New York City in 1967.

Stuck on the Border

Impressive to open for those two, but back in 1967 I guess Hendrix and Joplin wouldn't have been big names, either.

It seem like the management didn't know what to do with the Eagles, either, if you go by the bands they opened for. Maybe Randy told both stories and they got merged along the way.

Hendrix was just starting to create a sensation when the Poor opened for his band. In fact, the crowd response to Jimi was so intense that the club's management decided they didn't need the opening act after all and dismissed The Poor. They were contracted for five performances but only did one or two - the band had to physically threaten the club's manager to get their money.

The Poor had the same management as the Buffalo Springfield, but just never managed to break through for some reason. Several band members (including Randy of course) went on to play in Rick Nelson's Stone Canyon Band, so they were certainly very talented musicians.

LuvTim, thank you for your kind words. I'm so glad you're enjoying this thread.

Banned

Quote from Charlie Rich Jr
    one thing Randy was a stickler for was having the band well rehearsed. Hey, when an ex-Eagle says rehearal is important, you best listen.
    Randy comes across as mild mannered and meek yet, this and walking out on Poco in his formative years, shows Randy has got some steel.

He also reportedly had a falling out with Jimmy Griffin (ex-Bread) when they were in a band called Black Tie, which led to Jimmy allegedly removing Randy's vocals from the album "When the Night Falls." I don't know what the disagreement was about. The Black Tie CD I have sounds like a Jimmy Griffin solo record for the most part, except for a Billy Swan lead vocal on one track IIRC.