Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Frey-less Eagles??? Was it ever considered?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Frey-less Eagles??? Was it ever considered?

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm disappointed with the turn this thread has taken. I was enjoying the discussion and speculation on different line-ups and even set lists, along with background information on the situation and motivation of band members at different times. Over the last few pages, it's been diverted into yet another go round on whose voice people prefer and whether Glenn should sing TITTL.

As for the looks and sex appeal aspect, it wasn't part of the discussion until ER brought it in and I don't see how it's relevent.
    I believe I mentioned that Glenn was 'eye-candy', and apparently that was the wrong thing to say.

There just seemed to be a lot of disbelief, and from more than one person, that a true Eagles fan might not appreciate a line up with Glenn not in it. Glenn's voice is a major reason I like the Eagles, so I thought the voice aspect of it was relevant to the discussion.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Is there anyone they could have brought in to sing Glenn's songs that you would have considered acceptable?

I wonder how important having both Henley and Frey was to MTV, the tour promoters and record company executives.

In my opinion, it would have been very important. I can't see the MTV thing happening without 'the real deal', but I hadn't paid much attention to the MTV shows by the 90's (I'd moved on to CMT), so I'm not sure what other kinds of shows they had. Did they have other bands where major pieces of the band weren't there?

For me, personally, bringing in someone else would have definitely meant I'd not attend a show. I can't think of anyone who would have been acceptable, but you know, I never would have considered Joe Walsh in for Bernie, and I liked Joe a lot.
    VK

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    d I would never want to see a band touring under their name unless it included both Don H. and Glenn. As I said in my opening post in this thread:

"...I believe for most fans no Henley or no Frey means no Eagles."
    Repeating an argument doesn't make it any nore valid. I can't believe if 6 of the 7 Eagles went on tour you wouldn't refer to the as the Eagles.

Sometime this summer, cricket pundit Graeme Swan joined commentator, Jonathan Agnew for a stint of live commentary. He was raving about the Eagles concert he had attended the previous night. It was a short conversation before they started talking cricket. The conversation was something like:

GS - The Eagles concert last night was one of the best concerts I've ever been too

JA - Did they do Pretty Maids All In A Row that's one I particularly like?

GS - No

JA - Was it the original line-up?
    (the commentators as a group attended a Drifters concert in the West Indies sometime ago, where they could tell by the ages of the people on stage, that it wasn't the original band)

GS - No' they fractured in the 70s. The last 3 songs they played we're Hotel California, Take It Easy and Desperado

The Eagles were, and probably still are, pretty anonymous individually, to the vast majority of people here in the UK.

How about JD Souther or Jackson Browne being a Frey sub?

Stuck on the Border

The BBC's New Year show featured a concert from Queen + Adam Lambert which was a good reminder that even someone like Freddy Mercury could be replaced to some extent. Of course I was thinking Lambert isn't a patch on Mercury but it was still enjoyable. A few years ago, I was mildly interested in the combination of Queen and Paul Rogers and I'm not even a Queen fan.

So all that got me wondering who might make me interested in a Frey-less Eagles. James Taylor? Robert Plant? (ok, I'm joking with that one) Someone with their own identity - upthread someone suggested McCartney but that might be too much identity.

Sorry, I'm rambling without a lot of purpose.

BTW, I'm under the impression that at least four of the posters on this thread are male.

ETA: How about Jackson Browne and JD Souther?

Stuck on the Border

What a long thread. Can't read it all. The answer to one of the questions seems to be that they never discussed doing it without Glenn.
    As for success. IMO they could have had some level of success only because it's the EAGLES, because a lot of people wouldn't have known that there's "a Glenn Frey" missing. There seems to be an awful lot of people who can't tell Phil Bates from Jeff Lynne or The Orchestra from ELO. So it probably wouldn't have been a total disaster without Glenn.
    And, remember folks, Glenn is and has always been my favorite member and my favorite voice in the band. So for me it would have been a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    What a long thread. Can't read it all. The answer to one of the questions seems to be that they never discussed doing it without Glenn.
    As for success. IMO they could have had some level of success only because it's the EAGLES, because a lot of people wouldn't have known that there's "a Glenn Frey" missing. There seems to be an awful lot of people who can't tell Phil Bates from Jeff Lynne or The Orchestra from ELO. So it probably wouldn't have been a total disaster without Glenn.
    And, remember folks, Glenn is and has always been my favorite member and my favorite voice in the band. So for me it would have been a disaster.
    I agree that a lot of people wouldn't have noticed except that here in the States, it would have been hit pretty hard in the media. People would have known someone was missing, and in concert, well, not having Glenn's voice do the songs they like, it would have been noticed. However, after the ticket is sold is a little too late.

I think as to who they might have chosen would depend on a few things. Guys like Jackson Browne or JD Souther would be good as Special Guests, a temporary solution, if they were thinking it would be a one tour and end it again, or if they thought Glenn would join up later.
    VK

Maybe this will help convince those who don't believe I'd not attend a Frey-less Eagles concert, then or now... I'm a huge, huge fan of Boston. Even though I think it's incredibly sad that he's gone, and I know it was his problems that kept the band from performing, I still have no interest in seeing them without Brad Delp. I would never consider going to see Queen without Freddie Mercury. In my opinion, these are both little more than cover bands now. If I'm shelling out money, I want the real deal. The only exception is Led Zeppelin. If they ever toured again, I'd go see them without John Bonham, and I'd prefer to see his son in the drumming chair.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Yeah, I was thinking about it perhaps from the Finnish perspective. I don't know it for sure, of course, but I would imagine that here people would have just said "Eagles is coming. Cool!" even if Glenn wasn't there.
    Of course there must be people like me here too, or like my father, for whom Glenn's voice is what makes it EAGLES for him. (I've said that last thing before, but as a Glenn fan I like to repeat it.)

Banned

They did in 1980 but they opted to separate. They never considered resuming without Glenn. I've found it a very interesting and informative thread, chaim. I've learned a lot, even about my own opinions.

...it probably wouldn't have been a total disaster without Glenn.
    I can totally understand that, chaim but wouldn't you rather have more solo Glenn projects than more Eagles album with just the odd, one or two lead vocals from Glenn. Which is what was happening until LROOE.

As a Walsh fan, I'd be delighted if the Eagles ditched Joe or Joe left the Eagles. There's never been enough Walsh on the Eagles albums for me and his Eagles touring time, recycling the same half dozen songs since the mid 70s, doesn't half get in the way of producing great new material for me to enjoy.

I can't speak for Henley fans but his solo concert set lists are always full of intrigue and diversity. The total opposite of the Eagles model. Are they happy for Don to ride along on the Eagles gravy train while Cass County remains unreleased?