Page 39 of 302 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

TK

That is awesome on the 10 lbs.

My student was back in school today. I asked him how things were and he said still bad, but he is staying at his aunties for a few days. He thanked me for caring.

Then he asked me why I teach at XXXXX cause all the kids there are bad and why would I want to teach bad kids.

I told him that just because they did something stupid or made a bad choice doesn't make them bad. Told him that at the end of the day, if a student felt at ease at least in my class, that they knew someone cared about them and if they learned a little in the process, then I felt complete.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

well here is my am.
    woke up feeling really outta wack and not that great.
    didn't wanna call out sick cause I already knew one of the kids went home early yesterday after toughing it out for two days so we would be short and I am off tomorrow and fri anyway ...
    stopped at wawa not starbucks this am thinking I would pick up a diet cherry coke for my friend the doc as a surprise( something I did the whole t)ime she was pregnant)
    Wawa was packed I was behind in time but stopped to hold the door for a scruffy looking guy...ordered my white hot chocolate pumpkin yummm then while I waited for them to make it went to get the soda and a juice for lunch and a few other things.
    Got in line (place was packed..guy in front of me motioned for me to put my stuff down on the counter and I thought he was letting me go ahead of him. He had coffee..The manager started to ring me up and I said to add the guys coffee to my order and the gentleman who I had held the door for said "No this is one me today my treat" I was stunned. I said "oh you are to kind but I have a lot of stuff here for some of the gals in our office" and he said "No I insist on me have a blessed day."
    I am 53 years old and no one has ever done that for me before.
    I gotta say it was a super start to my day and I didn't let anyone else ruion it for me.
    going out the door, One of our local reporters on tv held the door for me and I said to him " I love watching you and have for ever...not that your old lol but you are a quality professional. " He laughed and we chit chatted about quality and age vs younger reporters ...but he smiled and said thanks for making me feel good by telling me how you feel.

so border etts that was my am..and now I am off for four days in a row....
    whens the other shoe gonna drop????

SC, I just wish I could give you a big hug! You are truly making a difference in some of these kids' lives! to you!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

oh and sc great job...just cause we do bad things in our lives making bad choices does not make us bad people...
    great job teach

thanks.

I hope he felt my honesty. There are teachers who just work for a check, I truly feel it is my calling. Most in our building couldn't do what we do if we didn't honestly feel something for all kids and not just perfect ones.

Kids know when they are being lied to and these particular kids can smell a phony a mile away!

most of these kids have way more street smarts at their young age than I will ever have. If the world goes nuts, my bet is on them for survival

SC. I have to give you credit for what you're doing. I don't think I could handle kids like that. Some people are just meant to do that kind of thing!!
    Know that you are making a difference in these kids lives & that's really important! They know that you really care, so it helps them & they really do need it. Some of them probably don't get much love or attention at home.

I looked back to see when I last posted about my BIL, Chuck, and was surprised to see that it was the end of June. If you recall, Chuck has ALS and in that post in June I said that he was winding down. At the time I certainly didn't think that he would still be with us now, but he is.

Since June Chuck has declined even further. I don't think we thought that was possible. He's in constant pain. Yesterday when I came home for lunch Hubby was here and told me that he had received a call from his mom saying that hospice had advised Chuck's wife to give him a medication so strong that it would essentially render him unconscious, thus pain free. He's already on so many medications, only his wife and his mom can keep track of them all. He is given morphine every 2 hours and a morphine patch also, but lately even that doesn't take away his pain.

We will be going to see Chuck this evening. He's to the point now, though, that he's so drugged up he either doesn't know anyone or doesn't remember them being there. You can imagine the toll this is taking on my husband and the rest of the family. It's funny how you progress through stages; first of denial, to just being there for him and letting him know you love him, to simply wishing he would be put out of his misery. This disease does not effect the mind. Chuck has always been in there until recently. Now he's on so much medication he's like an empty shell. Nobody should have to suffer like this.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I looked back to see when I last posted about my BIL, Chuck, and was surprised to see that it was the end of June. If you recall, Chuck has ALS and in that post in June I said that he was winding down. At the time I certainly didn't think that he would still be with us now, but he is.

Since June Chuck has declined even further. I don't think we thought that was possible. He's in constant pain. Yesterday when I came home for lunch Hubby was here and told me that he had received a call from his mom saying that hospice had advised Chuck's wife to give him a medication so strong that it would essentially render him unconscious, thus pain free. He's already on so many medications, only his wife and his mom can keep track of them all. He is given morphine every 2 hours and a morphine patch also, but lately even that doesn't take away his pain.

We will be going to see Chuck this evening. He's to the point now, though, that he's so drugged up he either doesn't know anyone or doesn't remember them being there. You can imagine the toll this is taking on my husband and the rest of the family. It's funny how you progress through stages; first of denial, to just being there for him and letting him know you love him, to simply wishing he would be put out of his misery. This disease does not effect the mind. Chuck has always been in there until recently. Now he's on so much medication he's like an empty shell. Nobody should have to suffer like this.

I'm sorry for you all. It's awful to be helpless when a loved one is suffering and in so much pain. He may not acknowledge your presence tonight PM, but I think that on some level he'll know you're there. Talk to him about everyday things -- your job, the World Series, things like that. That's what we did for my father when he died at home. I believe they can hear us even through the morphine haze and I took great comfort from that. Give your hubby a hug too!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Pm, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. About all you can do now is be there and I'm sure he knows that you are.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten