I agree with you on a lot of your points, Nancy. I have to say it's almost impossible to not find a problem with "hidden meanings" or at least perceived hidden meanings in so much popular music. I guess I've taken the attitude not to get to bent out of shape about stuff. Our radio was always on -so my kids probably heard things they shouldn't at times. I always thought it was better to just handle "situations" as they came up and try not to make a major case out of it. I answered their questions or corrected them situation by situation.

Peter used to hear lyrics in his own special Peter way. We used to crack up when we'd hear him singing "Do it like a lady" (Dude looks like a lady), "I got mud on my face-I dig this place" or my favorite "Felice la di da!"

But in my case, if I never wanted them to hear a cuss word ever ever -I would have had to ban them from their father who could and still does occasionally let one fly. I, of course, never do.

I just bought by godson (who is 6) an MP3 player this past Christmas. I managed to put about 100 songs on it. 1 year old is a lot different than 6-but here are some that might work:

Henry the VIII -Herman's Hermits
International Harvester -Craig Morgan (my godson's fav it turns out-I think he likes the tractor sounds)
The Unicorn (the Irish Rovers) -now, this one has religion written all over it -so take that into consideration
Who Let the Dogs Out -Baha Men
Splish Splash -Bobby Darin
Centerfield-John Fogerty
Sing-The Carpenters
Lookin' Out My Back Door-Creedence (yeah, I know-but a 1 year old won't have a clue)
ABC -Jackson 5
R.O.C.K. in the USA -John Mellencamp
I'm A Believer-Monkees
Crazy Little Thing Called Love-Queen
Blitzkrieg Pop-Ramones
Wooly Bully and Little Red Riding Hood-Sam the Sham