I'm quite happy to put Styx on the list instead of Kansas. I am personally more familiar with Kansas (I like Carry On Wayward Son quite a bit) but Styx are perhaps slightly more significant in that they were one of the first successful AOR bands.

I'd be fine with adding Def Leppard to the list. However, I do not intend for there to be any further expansion of the number of bands. If one band already on the list drops out, as things stand it will be America (I think they are the band who could be removed with least rancour, partially because they are fairly similar to CSNY).

Thanks for posting that list UtW. I must admit I can't see that many bands that haven't already mentioned (although it would be an excellent resource to consult before doing the solo artists version). I noticed Metallica on the list but I'm not sure if there are any fans on here. However, I think it confirms that Chicago would be a decent addition to the list, and perhaps helps the cases of Green Day and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. As for The Police not being on the original list, I think that was an oversight more than anything else.

One other name that I had forgotten about but has occurred to me today is Buffalo Springfield - I think I considered them originally but left them off because two of their most famous members were later in CSNY.

I actually did consider the Grateful Dead but I actually had an idea on another forum whereby I asked members to name their favourite songs by 18 different bands, with the Dead being one of them. I found that a surprising number of people struggled to name any songs by them so I think this put me off including them on the list. I'm happy to reconsider this although I tend to think of them as being comparable to the Velvet Underground in that they are beloved by critics and have a cult following, but are just not that popular overall.