Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
Glenn's surname comes via Scandinavian mythology. In its modern form I think of it as German. (Think of the word 'freiheit' meaning freedom).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyr

You will note that Freyr 'bestows peace and pleasure on mortals'.

His ancestry on his mother's side is Irish. He refers to the Nortons & the Deans in the Dublin DVD as being family names.

The problem we have is that we don't know whether Frey is his birth surname because his mother remarried when he was very young.

I believe that he has Scottish blood too, because there was an anecdote told some years ago about him doing some family history research in Scotland.

Once again, like him my own heritage is primarily Irish (father) & German (mother) with some English & Scottish (mother).
From everything that I have heard & read about Glenn I am lead to believe that ‘Frey’ is most likely not his birth surname. He talked about his father being from the Bethlehem, PA area when he did an interview just before he played there during the "After Hours" tour. He said his father's name was 'Eddie Frey'. 'Eddie' is his mother's second husband. Glenn dedicated a song to "Nell & Ed” on Strange Weather. He has always referred to Eddie as his dad.

Soda has said during his 2008 concert in Niagara Falls that Glenn mentioned that his mother remarried when he was three. Even during the ‘70’s, Rolling Stone called his mother “Nellie Frey” when they quoted her in an interview about Glenn.

There are a number of other articles & interviews that would support this, but this is what I remember off the top of my head.