Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
The primary songwriter is usually the one who has contributed the most or, all other things being equal, the initiator.

Many people equate the word "melody" with the whole tune. However, when Henley is speaking of the melody, he's speaking of what the lead singer is doing. So, my understanding of this is that Felder provided the backing instrumentation which gave the guys something to play around with to come up with the rest to layer on top of it.

It was certainly not unreasonable for Felder to expect to have one lead per album. That was always what had happened prior to HC, including on OOTN. Everyone else got a lead on HC. I know Bernie, Glenn, Don H and Randy at the beginning established each would get at least one lead per album and since Felder was brought in as an equal, I imagine he had the idea he would be treated as such in every way.

Plus, while I think Felder's voice is rather generic, he is probably a better singer than Henley is a guitar player. Therefore, I think Henley's analogy was flawed, although it made me laugh. Truth be told, fairness aside, I'd still rather hear Henley sing it.

We've heard Don H snark on Felder before, but Glenn has kept quiet except for an even toned statement in an interview with his old friend Wuhl. Therefore, hearing the contempt for Felder reflected in a voice that is usually so pleasant was jarring if not unexpected. I daresay we will get more of that tonight!

I'm sorry; I am also doing multiple posts.

I would rather hear Glenn after all these years be honest about Felder rather than attempt to sugar coat his feelings.