Thread: Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

Okay, here we go: I was asked to show (audibly) exactly what it meant when I mention recording something "dry" or adding an effect in with a DAW.

To that goal, I recorded a few measures of Glenn Frey's "I Dreamed There Was No War".

Above each snippit of the recording, I state what the effects used in that snippit. Realize, I played this ONLY ONE TIME with no effects at all...in other words, "Dry". I made copies of the "dry" recording and then selected a few of the available effects that came from only one of the libraries.

When I select one of the effects, there is a graphic representation with knobs and switches and sliders that allow you to dial in the parameters of the effect.

For instance, if I choose a reverb effect, I would get the option to select either a "Gate Reverb" or an "RMS Reverb" or maybe a "Spring Reverb".

Within each of those selections, you get maybe three controls to dink around with including "Duration", Depth", "Tone" and probably "Level". The point is that there are an almost infinite number of settings that can make two "takes" of the same recording sound completely different.

I have selected only a few. Some of the effects are pretty exotic. One adds "scratches and clicks" to a track that sound for all the world like a worn LP Vinyl plate. Others use synth translations that can turn about any recording into really weird sounding NOISE.

The possibilities are virtually endless, and I've only demo'd around 10 in the samples below.

Here's DRY...vanilla...nuthin done to it at all.

Next is Distortion

Next is Distortion with Flanger

Then Distortion with Reverb

Next, an exaggerated ECHO

Next, Flanger with Overdrive

Then one with a Gate Reverb

Here's one with a Large Hall Reverb

A Phaser with Delay

Finally one with Auto Wah-Wah and some Distortion

Last edited by MikeA; 12-09-2010 at 08:27 PM.

MikeA