Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ol' 55

Default Re: Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by rcknalwys
    I have been through a lot DonFan, and fire seems to have followed me around as I have had 3 other fires. But that particular fire took everything and was devastating emotionally. I was blessed to be part of a group that sent me cds to replace many of the ones I lost, for which I will be forever grateful. Just being able to listen to the guys...especially Timothy, really helped.

I have been able to relive the Millenium shows through other people's photo's and always love to see them. I had to send home for money for the rest of my stay LOL! I was lucky enough to get a package deal for a round trip flight and 3 night stay in Vegas very cheap and went by myself. So for everyone who has to go alone....do it!
    I'm so sorry for your losses, Becky - I can only imagine how devastated you must have been after losing everything. I know what it's like to lose things, but not to that extent. Thank God you had such good friends who were so generous towards you. I'm sure they will be richly rewarded.

It's wonderful that you were able to see the Eagles at the turn of the century. Fantastic! I'm ashamed to admit that I was barely aware of them at that time. As DF said about herself, I've certainly tried to make up for lost time. A year and a half after becoming an Eagles fanatic, I still can't get enough of them.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Default Re: Ol' 55 About Death?

I know that this is an old topic but I wanted to note that whether or not the song is really about death, at a funeral I attended recently, I couldn't get it out of my head (especially since he died very suddenly, in the morning). Such an interpretation makes it really fit that mood of both regret that the time on earth is over mixed with hope for the afterlife. If you look at it that way, it's not so much morbid as bittersweet.

I think I'll have it played at my funeral reception (not the funeral itself. Everyone just wants to get out of funerals, not sit there listening to a bunch of songs. One hymn - "Because He Lives" - that's it). At the reception afterwards, when folks are sitting around commiserating about the loss of the awesomeness that was Nancy (lol), then they can break out Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles. I'll have to leave a playlist.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Well, I had never seen this thread before...who would have thunk it? In reading the lyrics with death in mind, I guess it could fit that whole picture...but I always thought it was about a guy leaving a girl's bed and driving home early in the am. Actually, somewhere I read or heard a snippet of interview from Glenn saying that was the imagery he loved thinking of or identified with or something to that effect. I can listen to that song over and over--I love it! It does bring back some good memories from the soundtrack of my life back in college..

Well Glenn knew all about sweet loving back then didn't he?

Most certainly!

I would agree that Glenn wasn't thinking about death when he recorded it. And personally I find the image of a guy driving home after a special night with his lady a nice one was well. I'm just saying that the alternative interpretation works, too. Who knows what was in Waits's mind?

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I would agree that Glenn wasn't thinking about death when he recorded it. And personally I find the image of a guy driving home after a special night with his lady a nice one was well. I'm just saying that the alternative interpretation works, too. Who knows what was in Waits's mind?
    Exactly, plus, music, like art, only means whatever we think it means. To one person it could be a very sensitive metaphor for death, to another it's a wonderful imagery of a moment from a man's life. It's very subjective and individualized. To me, it's a great image of a guy leaving his girlfriend and regretting it after a wonderful night that he had been looking forward to. BUT I can see the other as well *G*

I wonder if anyone here goes to see Tom Waits in concert, if he will do any storytelling before his songs. Then maybe we can find out what he had in mind...

Border Desperado

I hope ol 55 is an old chevy and not an age...cause if it's death I'm gettin' close!

Default Re: Ol' 55

I still can't get the association with this song and death out of my mind, to this day! It's so gorgeous, though, that I love it.