Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in a bubble ... an Eagles fan w/out knowing

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Living in a bubble ... an Eagles fan w/out knowing

As I'm surfing youtube, I come across... The One You Love, by Glenn Frey. HELLO!!!! Have I been living in a bubble all these years??? Not only had I forgotten about this song (Which I LOVED back in the day)... but I had no clue it was Glenn!!! I would listen to it over and over and over... I remember taping it off the radio.

Also, my favorite song for as long as I can remember has been Lyin' Eyes. I didn't even know it was the Eagles until 10 or so years ago. Again, bubble!

I remember being a young girl and hearing I Can't Tell You Why. I had zero clue who the Eagles were, but every time I hear that song, it takes me back to my youth...in my parent's living room. Timothy's voice is just amazing, and I've always loved it.

I was again, a young girl... and I stayed home sick from school. Dirty Laundry had just come out. The radio station must have played it at least ten times that day. Even in my sick state, I recall jumping on the coffee table and singing along w/it.

It seems to me, I loved all their songs as a young kid growing up... I just didn't "know" it was them.

I guess it's safe to say I was a fan before I knew I was fan.

However, is it strange to say, while I love all the works by the Eagles... it wasn't until this year I could listen to Desporado and Witchy Woman. I just never cared for them. They've grown on me, but still, they are the ones I tend to skip over when listening to my CD. Also, Hotel California... yeah, I could take it or leave it. Strange, eh? I mean, those are so popular, yet the mean nothing to me.

Here's a funny... whenever I hear Peaceful Easy Feeling... I always say outloud, "I just know Glenn would sing this song to me". I guess I just WISH he's sing it to me. I always wear long dangling earrings, and of course, I always sing, "the way your sparkling earring sway" ... ah... I guess I've always been a dreamer! :P

I really enjoyed this post, LTLH! I was probably an Eagles fan without knowing it myself, although to a lesser extent than you. I remember always liking "Take It Easy", "Lyin' Eyes", "Hotel California", "New Kid In Town" and "Heartache Tonight", but not really having much of an idea who the Eagles were or what they looked like. I remember, as a 13-year-old, taping NKIT off the radio, just because I really liked the sound of it. I had no idea it was the Eagles, or who Glenn Frey was. That's my earliest Eagles memory. I don't recall hearing their solo music on the radio, except for maybe "The Heat Is On", "You Belong To The City", "True Love" and "This Way To Happiness", but sadly I didn't pay a lot of attention. It's probably because I never saw Glenn on television, or didn't hear his songs enough. It's probably also because as a child in the '80s, I was heavily into '50s rock 'n roll, and Elvis Presley was the centre of my universe, so I pretty much passed over everything else! When I heard the Glenn songs again after making a point of getting hold of his solo music, I remember saying to myself, "I know that! And that too!" all the time. I really regret the time that I wasted!

When I first got involved in bands in 2002, one of the guitarists, who is now one of my closest friends and plays lead guitar in our current (and hopefully long term) band, asked me if I knew "Hotel California". I told him I knew it, but couldn't sing it as I didn't know all the words. As we were packing up that late afternoon, I remember trying to sing it, and I surprised myself by being able to sing quite a bit of it! I remarked to another band member, "I suppose I know that song better than I thought!"

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Great post LTLH!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

I also had heard a lot of Eagles songs without realizing it was them. I recognized the names Glenn Frey and Don Henley from their big hits 1984+, but I wasn't allowed to listen to rock music before then and so I didn't know any of the prior solo songs. I only knew some of the Eagles music because it would occasionally get played on the "Best of the 70s, 80s, and 90s" station I started to listen to when I was in high school. I didn't know the tunes were by the Eagles anyway. It was only watching Hell Freezes Over, and then subsequently buying the Greatest Hits (both volumes) that I found out they did several songs I knew.

My how things have changed!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Unfortunately, none of these posts describe me because I am OLD! As most of you know, I was there to see "how it all started".

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

That doesn't say you're old

But that's amazing Just from the begin days till the days they will end (I hope that they won't stop!)

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    Unfortunately, none of these posts describe me because I am OLD! As most of you know, I was there to see "how it all started".
    And I'm right there with ya, dreamer!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Dreamer and Brooke... all I can say is that you two are LUCKY! You have all the first hand knowledge of the reality of how things really were... I just have articles to read.

Yeh me too

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well, ladies, I've read most of what I know, too. Yes, I was there when all the music was released to radio or albums, but not THERE, if you know what I mean.

Now, if I'd had the luck to have gotten one of those 3E pins at the concert I went to in 1977ish.......well, then I might know LOTS more! But I reconcile myself in knowing that the bands buddies never made it to the nosebleed sections with those coveted trinkets!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten