Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Names

Oh, I'm catching up a bit here. Brooke, that must have been so frustrating having to change your name, and how interesting that your son was Tyler before it became so popular.

Fp, your observation on Presidents' names is fascinating. It makes you wonder if a slightly unusual middle name encourages kids to achieve!

Although you don't really need a middle name, I remember a playground game where we called out letters and jumped forwards a step for every time that letter appeared in our name. I was always hoping for A, as there were four in my full name then. And on the subject of spelling, even a traditional name like Katharine has its pitfalls. I have been Katherine (understandable), Kathryn, Kathleen and Karen, the latter on a birthday card my hubby had signed for me by a rugby player I admired!!

Toonlass, whoever would call their kid "Noo-noo"? Isn't that the vacuum cleaner thingy on Tellytubbies?!!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

My husband Michael doesn't have a middle name, but his brother does (Steven Paul). I am Julie Jean, the same middle name as my mother.

My father and his brothers were all good strong Irish names - Terence John (Dad), Brian Patrick and Paul Francis. My aunts are Irma Valerie and Lynette ? I barely know her, so I can't remember her middle name.

Rosalind's middle name is Sonia after the character in War & Peace (the Russian spelling is Sonya, we used the French spelling). If she'd been a boy she would have been Robert Francis, a nod to Messrs Plant & Zappa.

Oh, and even if I had considered using 'Anfield' as a middle name my husband would have countered with 'St James'. Not quite appropriate.

We nicknamed our older son "Flipper" before he was born, due to his pre birth activity. We half considered it as a name... Luckily we saw sense, so his second name is Francis, which I have previously said is also my maiden name, but doubles as a good second name, and I'm pleased to see it in your family, FP. Second son was nicknamed "Fingers" before he was born, based on his first ultrasound.

Your father and his family have good strong names. I need to look into my family names. My grandfather on the paternal side was Albert Edward. On the maternal side, grandfather would have been Charles, father of four daughters, but no son, so my mother, third in line, was Ellizabeth Stephanie , being the Stephen her father was hoping for. She did him proud, being one of the pioneers at dental school when girls weren't supposed to pursue that sort of career, but she didn't have a son. I have ten cousins though - Charles, Alison, Chris, Mary and Michael, who all live in various parts of the US; Kate, Adam, Carole, Krystina who live in Portugal but were brought up in Brazil, and Anne, who is the offspring of Mum's youngest sister.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

I really don't know why they called him that. But then I've worked for a lot of parents who seem to actively encourage their children to call things by the wrong name, so I think that may cover their own strange nicknames for the kids.

Yeah, our mum is German, so we have German first names and both WM and I have German middle names too.

Where I now live there are lots of kids who live in the building, and I hear their parents calling for them... "Britney", "Jasmine" but the one I heard today sounded like "Lorry" which I'm assuming isn't spelt like that, at least I'm hoping not

Stuck on the Border

Presumably it's 'Laurie'? In Australia the name is normally male (it is the equivalent of 'Larry').

It was for a girl, so maybe they shortened Lauren, who knows. I just know that in the really loud "Essex" accent it sounded awful.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Lori, Lauren, and Laura are popular for girls here.

Larry isn't used much anymore for guys and is usually short for Lawrence.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I'm reviving this old topic because I wanted to share this story. Read it and weep. My question is though - the poor girl had to live for 8 YEARS with this name?!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

Good grief, that takes the biscuit. What kind of parents would do that?
    (Surely those other names must be made-up? )

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Good grief! People can be so stupid!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten