Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Names

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    A horror story: When I had a job teaching a preschool class for underprivileged kids via the Head Start program in Conroe, Texas, there were twin girls named Lashawnta and Lashawna. The twins were fraternal - one was a lot heavier than the other - but those names still got mixed up constantly. At least we tried to call them by their names, though. When the mom came to get them, she simply called them "Fatty" and "Skinny."

Talk about scarred for life!

I like the in-between names - not crazy odd, but not terribly common either. Weird spellings - eh. Bad idea, IMHO. I can imagine what a pain it must be to have to correct the spelling of your name TIME after TIME after TIME due to how weird it is! Look at poor Steuart Smith!
    My goodness thats awful Soda! Can you imagine how those poor girls must feel now. I've noticed particular trends too. When I started teaching in the early-mid nineties (and I teach secondary level - 12 -18 yrs) a very common girls name was Sabrina! Taken of course from 'Charlies s' which was a popular show then.
    'Kelly' was also common for the same reason I think!

A lot of boys over here have been named for men who are /were soccer heroes.

My mother christened me 'Elizabeth' as some of you may know. While it has to be on official documents there are very few left who use it . It makes officialdom very messy to say the least!

I chose what I thought would be classic, middle of the road names for my kids as I didn't want them to stand out, particularly if they decided to move overseas, their names would be fairly 'international'

However if I EVER have another boy........

Lets just say his name will have 4 parts to it
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Default unusual names

OK, I admit it....I'm guilty of using unusual names...guess it runs in the family though. My mom started it...my middle name (that she called me by until I was about 15) is Leandra. Now how many of you know someone named Leandra? When I had my first child, she was given 3 middle names, but her first name is Siobhon, which is probably familiar to our Irish members, but unusual for America. She followed suit by giving her daughter the name Rhiannon, another good Irish name, with not only 3 middle names but an initial. So her name is Rhiannon Lea Valena Grace J Roberts. Several years ago the same daughter married a guy from Pakistan and they named their daughter Laiyba Imran. It means something like God's angel. I'm also guilty of using a bit different spelling for my other daughter's name, Jayme, although I don't think that's too weird. But I think we're a bit tame in comparison to a lot of other names and spellings LOL.
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yes, rckn, your names are different. I've never heard of Leandra. It's pretty though.

That's horrible for your poor twins, Soda!

I'm open to different names. First let me fess up to my own, though, Gaye Lyn. Back when my mother named me, Gaye meant gay! Happy, joyful, fun! Well, with the gay movement in the 70's (when I was a teenager) all I had to tell someone was "Hi, I'm Gaye!" and of course everyone laughed and said, "oh really?" So I tried using my middle name, too. But people could never understand it. They would call me Gail, Gay Lee, Gayla, but couldn't quite grasp Gaye Lyn, which most of my family does call me. I finally put it together as GayeLyn with emphasis on the Lyn (as family does), but I still get Galen from time to time. People that do know me do know how to say it or Gaye. It's a mess. I'd love to change my name!

I love Rhiannon, too, rckn. My daughter is named Lindsey Rhiannon which I found on the Fleetwood Mac album back in the day. I was reading the liner notes on that album and looking for baby names. Usually a girl Lindsey is spelled with an a, but I liked Lindsey Buckingham's spelling with the e to be different. Lindsay Wagner was also popular as the Bionic Woman back then. I also picked out Rhiannon because I liked the song and the name.

Now in our family we have an onslaught of M names. Molly, Mira, Maura, and Madelyn are all great nieces. And I have 3 Jason nephews!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Terrific choices for the kids, Brooke!

It's funny - in Texas, all the female Lindseys I knew spelled their names with "e" and it was the one male I knew who spelled it "Lindsay" with an "a." In the Mac world, poor Lindsey Buckingham gets his named spelled Lindsay in the magazines even more often than Glenn gets his named spelled Glen. lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter

My mother christened me 'Elizabeth' as some of you may know. While it has to be on official documents there are very few left who use it . It makes officialdom very messy to say the least!

I chose what I thought would be classic, middle of the road names for my kids as I didn't want them to stand out, particularly if they decided to move overseas, their names would be fairly 'international'

GA, I love the name Elizabeth because I'm a Tudor history fan. But when I had my own daughter it had to be a Shakesperean name (although that is still the Tudor/Jacobean period, I guess).

Regarding giving names for soccer heroes, there is one that would work for me at the moment - 'Gerrard'. Imagine being called after some of the other current Liverpool players - 'Crouch' or 'Kuyt' for instance. I vaguely remember the late John Peel gave Anfield and Shankly as middle names for his kids.

Most of the kids I have looked after seem to have long names which are always shortened, so Sabina was bibi, Sebastien was Seb. The worst one has to be one child, Orlando who was called "Noo-noo". He wouldn't respond to his own name. That was rather annoying from my perspective.

As for me and my siblings we all have German names and I can't count the amount of people who spell and/or pronounce it wrong. The most funny must be when in one report home from high school, my teacher spelt my name three different ways!!!

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Oh my gosh My parents decided not to give any of their children a middle name. My Mom didn't like her middle name and my Father was always called by his middle name (as were his sisters and brother) Who knows why???? Of course, because I didn't have one I always wanted one - lol. Both my boys and my neices and nephews do have middle names.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter

GA, I love the name Elizabeth because I'm a Tudor history fan. But when I had my own daughter it had to be a Shakesperean name (although that is still the Tudor/Jacobean period, I guess).

Regarding giving names for soccer heroes, there is one that would work for me at the moment - 'Gerrard'. Imagine being called after some of the other current Liverpool players - 'Crouch' or 'Kuyt' for instance. I vaguely remember the late John Peel gave Anfield and Shankly as middle names for his kids.
    Well you chose a gorgeous name for your daughter FP. Thanks for the comps on mine. Over here quite a lot of stadiums are nakmed after people (Croke Park, Nowlan Park, etc) so naming after your favourite stadium wouldn't work out so bad!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Out on the Border freyfantastic61's Avatar

My middle name which I'm known as is Lorinda-I actually like it but other people insist on variations such as Linda,Lorraine,Lorna etc! Very annoying!

German names, eh, Toonlass? I've always wondered. I think they're great, BTW.

"Noo-noo" at least probably heard him name a lot. "NOOOOOOO!" lol

I like your name too, FF. And as for middle names TBSF - who needs 'em!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten