Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
Voting for My Man. Very unpopular and probably everyone (being more aligned to Bernie rather than Felder and Walsh) will disagree. Very meaningful lyrics, but that is the only good thing. Very boring. I remember listening to it, and then briefly dozed off.
Why do think it’s “very unpopular”? I disagree that everyone is more aligned to Bernie; I believe most forum members are more drawn to Joe, at least that’s my impression.

I don’t know if you’re aware of the background of “My Man” but Bernie wrote it as a tribute to a friend and former colleague who died of a drug overdose, just one week after Bernie added some overdubs to his friend’s record. Bernie was in London recording this album when he learned the news.

Anyway, to each his own.

On the Border is probably my favorite Eagles album; I really like/love every track and there is such variety of styles and sounds. So this will be very hard for me.

My vote goes to the title track, On the Border. It’s got a great funky-ish vibe to it and I love the 4-part vocal bridge; not just anyone could pull off those lines. I like the part-protest, part- just leave me be message, too.

But there’s something about it that doesn’t quite gel, like it’s right on the edge of something. I think it’s the guitars. A tad too much twangy noise. I also think Don sang this a bit safe. He probably could have pushed himself a little more vocally but maybe he hadn’t yet obtained the confidence at that point to do so.

A word in support of Is It True, which I knew would be under attack early on. It’s one of the few romantically inclined Eagles songs where the guy takes some accountability for what’s going wrong, and doesn’t just blame the woman and paint her in a bad light. When he says he can “change some” it sounds like a sincere attempt to try to please her and win her back; if he were to change a lot or completely he’d be a different person from the one she fell for.

I love Randy’s voice here and instrumentally the song is lovely—the melodic slide guitar which starts off the first notes and can be heard throughout, the plucky rhythm guitar, the mellow bass. The harmonies are stellar, as usual. It seems so earnest and sweet and innocent; how many Eagles songs can be described like that? LOL