Page 61 of 92 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    But you said

He's slowly starting to make it his own. Make it your own, Vince.

You may claim you hate the song, but you're encouraging Gill to 'make it his own'. Whether you hate it or not is irrelevant to the comment you made.

Can't you understand how that jars with people like me?
    I don’t see the issue personally because I think it would be bad taste for Vince Gill to try to emulate Glenn. I think it’s better for him to be his own thing. Now I do understand your frustration with how some hated Glenn doing TITTL and love Vince’s version. Though it’s not exactly fair to put that on the pro 3.0 crowd.

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Yeah, I agree. It's a no-brainer that if they knew that Glenn had wanted them to continue as the Eagles, they would have said so by now.

For example, one time Don would have certainly brought it up: "I know I said I didn't want to continue the Eagles without Glenn, but then I remembered how Glenn had told me that he'd always wanted us to continue after he died. I couldn't go against his wishes. I had to continue the band."

Instead we got: "I was in shock... a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." blahblahblah

So, yeah. Safe bet Glenn never said anything.
    I agree, if Glenn had said he wanted them to continue, they would have said so. My feeling is that Glenn didn't contemplate this. They didn't continue without him during their 14 year vacation, they didn't have someone else fill in when he had his surgery in the 90s, my guess is this is a possibility that didn't occur to him. Of course, we'll never know.

For all the years I've been on this board and replied to all the post from the HOTE tour. Not counting what I just said. Can you give me one proof that I ever said Glenn was not right for TITTL. I don't think I ever said that and I don't think I ever even said it now or even thinking that.

IMO. I don't think I was praising him. I think it was more critiquing him and observations with Vince and Don even said in an interview at the beginning Vince was not making the songs he was singing his own and trying to sound like the original. Maybe it didn't come out that way and I'm sorry you think I was stabbing you and others in the back with my comment.

I've been a Vince fan for 20 something years. I will come out and say he's doing a terrible job with a song or he needs to work more on it. I did that with Lyin' Eyes and New Kid In Town especially at the beginning. IMO Don needs to sing his famous lines in Ol' 55 with Vince because one part it didn't sound right when he went into the next verse. I'm not going to sugarcoat it just because I love Vince.

I'm not trying to start anything and I think I've been out of these heated discussions majority of the time with maybe a few times I said something, but I'm not trying step on anybody's feet.

The only reason I even post in this thread was to answer Soda's question and I will step away from this thread again.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 03-31-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I don’t see the issue personally because I think it would be bad taste for Vince Gill to try to emulate Glenn. I think it’s better for him to be his own thing. Now I do understand your frustration with how some hated Glenn doing TITTL and love Vince’s version. Though it’s not exactly fair to put that on the pro 3.0 crowd.

Why on earth not? They are the ones who said it.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    For all the years I've been on this board and replied to all the post from the HOTE tour. Not counting what I just said. Can you give me one proof that I ever said Glenn was not right for TITTL. I don't think I ever said that and I don't think I ever even said it now or even thinking that. IMO. I don't think I was praising him. I think it was more criticizing Vince and Don even said in an interview at the beginning Vince was not making the songs he was singing his own and trying to sound like the original. Maybe it didn't out that way and I'm sorry you think I was stab you and other in the back with my comment.

I've been a Vince fan for 20 something years. I will come out and say he's doing a terrible job with a song or he needs to work more on it. I did that Lyin' Eyes and New Kid In Town especially at the beginning. I'm not going to sugarcoat it just because I love Vince.

I'm not trying to start anything and I think I've been out of these heated discussion majority of the time with maybe a few times I said something, but I'm not trying step on anybody's feet.

The only reason I even post on this thread was to answer Soda's question and I will step away from this thread again.

YOU didn't. I was talking about the past, where over & over again we were told how Glenn wasn't right for the song.

If you are saying you want Gill to make the songs 'his own' that is just continuing to normalise the whole business.

So once again, a comment made by me in the 'legit' thread where I hoped that I could say it without any repercussions, has now blown up in my face, and yet I am still told the 3.0 people are being silenced.

Also, it was an expression of quiet sadness, which I thought I was just as entitled to express as those who are so delighted by all of this.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

FP - I really think you are overreacting here. Whether someone like a song, likes who sings a song, etc., etc., etc. is very subjective and they certainly have a right to say so.

I am just waiting for you all now to start telling us how Gill's voice is also 'better suited' to Glenn's own songs. It can't be long before you do.
    Let's don't invite trouble here. If that happens, they are entitled to say so and you would be entitled to respectfully disagree.

But, if these kind of comments jar you to the point where you have to go into attack mode, then you should step back from the debate and vent in the 'safe' thread. I realize this started there, but you still need not attack people here for their views.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    FP - I really think you are overreacting here. Whether someone like a song, likes who sings a song, etc., etc., etc. is very subjective and they certainly have a right to say so.

Let's don't invite trouble here. If that happens, they are entitled to say so and you would be entitled to respectfully disagree.

But, if these kind of comments jar you to the point where you have to go into attack mode, then you should step back from the debate and vent in the 'safe' thread.

I understand that. My point is not that people shouldn't enjoy the current version of TITTL. I was commenting on the irony of how often we were told that Glenn's version wasn't good enough.

I take your point, however. But the thing is, as I say above, my original comment WAS made in the 'safe' thread!

I think I should do what Soda does, and not read any more concert threads.

Why on earth not? They are the ones who said it.
    I guess I misunderstood you, I thought you were talking about members of the media who were talking about Glenn. Not people on here. In that case you can, I don’t think it is fair for them to not like Glenn’s version but love Vince’s

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I guess I misunderstood you, I thought you were talking about members of the media who were talking about Glenn. Not people on here. In that case you can, I don’t think it is fair for them to not like Glenn’s version but love Vince’s
    I agree with everybody and what FP said on this subject. Its not right for the media to say that, but that's just them. Most of them probably don't even want to be there. Some of them (now I said some. I didn't say all)probably don't know Randy even sang this song.

I just thought I was being put in that category of not liking Glenn's version. That's why I was defending what I said.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I understand that. My point is not that people shouldn't enjoy the current version of TITTL. I was commenting on the irony of how often we were told that Glenn's version wasn't good enough.

I take your point, however. But the thing is, as I say above, my original comment WAS made in the 'safe' thread!

I think I should do what Soda does, and not read any more concert threads.
    Apparently, I was adding that acknowledgement to my post as you were responding to me. But, yeah, sometimes, it is better to step back.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016