Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

I''m finally getting a chance to weigh in here. My apologies, in advance, for such a lengthy post, but I am lagging behind here and had a lot of territory to cover. I found an old thread on this same topic that ran from 2008 – 2010 here:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=2229

If you read through the thread, you can see that there was a lot of criticism of the band about ticket prices. This is the one thread that I could locate quickly, but I know for sure there are numerous others where the topic has been discussed/debated over the years. While I never liked the amount the band’s exorbitant ticket prices, I still willingly supported them and attended several dozen shows between 2003 – 2015. So, as a hardcore fan who loved these guys and their music, and was willing to pay handsomely to see them, I was, obviously part of the demand. However, I totally respect and understand people who didn't feel the same way as I did. Below is one of my posts that I located in the thread that pretty much sums up how I feel about the topic …

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I have read several articles in the past few years that indicate that, unlike the ‘old’ days, touring is where the money is rather than record (or download) sales these days. But, either way, we fans have to pay for our commodity. I guess the music industry could lower ticket prices, but then, we’d probably see a significant increase in the cost of a CD or download.

Like everyone here, I don’t like the cost of Eagles tickets either, but I do think that they are proportionate to the band’s ‘status’ as one of the top bands in the world. The bottom line is that the price that we have to pay for any type of entertainment today is way out of control. I guess the argument here is that it is not a necessity so, by and large, the public chooses to pay these prices. Again – back to the supply/demand thing. I know many of you don’t agree with me, and I appreciate that, but I don’t blame anyone in the entertainment industry for charging the maximum price that the market will bear, especially since the commodity is a ‘want’ rather than a ‘need’. Most all of us do the exact same thing in our personal lives, albeit on a much smaller scale. If I want to purchase a home or a vehicle, I want to pay the lowest possible price. On the other hand, when I look for a job, I try to demand the highest possible salary.

Now, as soda mentioned earlier in this thread, what I do think is scandalous is the practice of selling tickets in the so-called ‘secondary’ markets. As far as I am concerned, this is scalping your own tickets and is beyond being unfair. I’ll just repeat what I said in another thread - Irving can claim as much as he wants that Ticketmaster does not "give brokers any preferential access to tickets", but how is it that the best tickets ALWAYS end up in their hands. When was the last time any fan brought up a 1st row ticket the moment the tickets went on sale? And don't hand us this crap about how 1st row seats are held and not put up for sale to the general pubic - if that's the case, how do they get in the hands of brokers who turn around and resell them (in some cases through TicketsNow) for thousands of dollars a piece???

And while I'm on my rant, I may as well bring up ILAA - Irving's other pet project. It turned my stomach to see those 5-star packages with the signed guitar and M&G with Joe being sold for + or - $5.000 last year. The only good news is that it apparently totally flopped. I’m betting that these 'Joe Walsh experiences' won't be offered in the future. The public put their foot down and said ‘no way’ – a small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Free enterprise – you gotta love it!
    So, the question has been raised in this thread is what has changed? Speaking for myself, I still stand by exactly what I wrote in that post. However, I am simply no longer willing to pay to go to a show, even though I understand and fully respect that others may. I am one that just does not believe the current line-up legitimately represents the Eagles when ½ of the original duo that wrote and sang the band’s most memorable and successful music is missing from the lineup.

Another thing I believe has changed over the last 20 years is the increasingly disproportionate distribution of wealth in the U.S. – reportedly, as of 2014, the richest 1 percent of our population has more income than the bottom 90 percent. So while demand for the shows may remain high, there is no doubt that there is a shrinking middle class and certainly not the same demographics that attended shows in the 70’s, 80’s, or even the 90’s. When much of the today’s middle class can barely afford necessities, much less the luxury of attending a concert, it’s little wonder to me that this raises increased questions of ethics and unfairness around the pricing issue.

Finally, the other difference that I noticed while browsing through that old thread is that even though there were lots of disagreements expressed between members, in spite of that, the discussion remained very civil and respectful. What I find very discouraging about our current environment here is the diminished tolerance and respect for differing opinions and viewpoints. Without getting political, perhaps this divisiveness here is just a reflection of our society today. So, I submit that we need to all keep in mind that just because some folks criticize the band, that doesn’t make them fan-haters. One doesn’t have to display blind adulation to be considered a fan – just a love and appreciation for the music these amazingly talented men created should be the only requirement.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I''m finally getting a chance to weigh in here. My apologies, in advance, for such a lengthy post, but I am lagging behind here and had a lot of territory to cover. I found an old thread on this same topic that ran from 2008 – 2010 here:

If you read through the thread, you can see that there was a lot of criticism of the band about ticket prices. This is the one thread that I could locate quickly, but I know for sure there are numerous others where the topic has been discussed/debated over the years. While I never liked the amount the band’s exorbitant ticket prices, I still willingly supported them and attended several dozen shows between 2003 – 2015. So, as a hardcore fan who loved these guys and their music, and was willing to pay handsomely to see them, I was, obviously part of the demand. However, I totally respect and understand people who didn't feel the same way as I did. Below is one of my posts that I located in the thread that pretty much sums up how I feel about the topic …

So, the question has been raised in this thread is what has changed? Speaking for myself, I still stand by exactly what I wrote in that post. However, I am simply no longer willing to pay to go to a show, even though I understand and fully respect that others may. I am one that just does not believe the current line-up legitimately represents the Eagles when ½ of the original duo that wrote and sang the band’s most memorable and successful music is missing from the lineup.

Another thing I believe has changed over the last 20 years is the increasingly disproportionate distribution of wealth in the U.S. – reportedly, as of 2014, the richest 1 percent of our population has more income than the bottom 90 percent. So while demand for the shows may remain high, there is no doubt that there is a shrinking middle class and certainly not the same demographics that attended shows in the 70’s, 80’s, or even the 90’s. When much of the today’s middle class can barely afford necessities, much less the luxury of attending a concert, it’s little wonder to me that this raises increased questions of ethics and unfairness around the pricing issue.

Finally, the other difference that I noticed while browsing through that old thread is that even though there were lots of disagreements expressed between members, in spite of that, the discussion remained very civil and respectful. What I find very discouraging about our current environment here is the diminished tolerance and respect for differing opinions and viewpoints. Without getting political, perhaps this divisiveness here is just a reflection of our society today. So, I submit that we need to all keep in mind that just because some folks criticize the band, that doesn’t make them fan-haters. One doesn’t have to display blind adulation to be considered a fan – just a love and appreciation for the music these amazingly talented men created should be the only requirement.

Beautifully said Dreamer. We are all fans of the music first and foremost.
    "You only live forever in the lights you make....you only hear the music when your heart begins to break."

Stuck on the Border

Amen !

Absolutely, Dreamer. We can and should always keep things civil and respectful. Even when we have strong opinions, we can be kind to each other. It doesn't cost a dime, but it reaps great rewards.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't see these shows as tributes to Glenn at all. A couple of words is not a tribute, no matter who is uttering them. A tribute would consist of people doing his songs, Eagles & solo, not other Eagles songs sung by the other Eagles. A proper tribute might even actually involve Henley, Schmit & Walsh talking about Glenn instead of leaving it entirely to his poor son.

I say again that if they had made an effort to do a proper tribute show, I would feel far less bitter towards them than I do.
    I understand what you're saying, and I agree that they could do more, but being at the concert made me feel that they were honoring Glenn's memory, albeit in a limited way. My point was that it may be the only tribute there is. (I hope that's not true, but it definitely seems possible at this point.) The fans at the concert seemed touched by it, and if fans want to participate in or be at any kind of a tribute, these concerts may be the only chance they have. I'm just putting it forward as another possible reasons some fans may buy tickets.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Hi Dreamer! It's so good to hear from you! I hope you're well, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Dreamer -

Of course people can criticize the band members, that has been happening since I joined this board and probably since the very beginning. It is the very lifeblood of this board, I say!

I do believe its fair to debate the merits of the particular criticism, though, and whether it is warranted. Sometimes the criticism stems from perceptions of the situation that aren't based on facts or reality, but are based in emotion and anger. It's hard to let those criticisms pass without questioning them. Everyone on here should be able to express their emotions and receive unconditional commiseration and support. But when those emotions are turned around and projected as bad behavior by the guys, I question it.

To me, the sad thing is that all of these wonderful things are happening now for the guys (note I'm not saying the Eagles, I don't care what we call them) I mean Don, Tim and Joe - the epic radio channel the content of which is 99% pre-Glenn's death, the tour, who knows what else to come, and fans on here cannot celebrate these things and reject them outright as not being legitimate - I don't even know what that means. This is what I mean by reality vs. emotion. I never thought I'd see that here.

I think that is the very fundamental underlying issue that results in the tone you are noticing, and it is so unfortunate. But, there has always been pretty heated debate here (usually relating to Felder LOL)
    Last edited by MaryCalifornia; 12-22-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Great post Dreamer - thank you very much for sharing your insight both in the past and now. I found your thoughts to be extremely interesting and quite helpful.

FWIW I read the entire thread you linked and found myself wishing I had joined Borderers earlier because it's clear I missed out on some important convos and events.

Alas, better late than never!

Thanks again!

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

I think all the post Glenn Frey things happening is to be expected.

Just keeping it real ... the band has a major 2018 tour commitment with MORE dates to be announced. Clearly the machine is on full speed.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Dreamer -

Of course people can criticize the band members, that has been happening since I joined this board and probably since the very beginning. It is the very lifeblood of this board, I say!

I do believe its fair to debate the merits of the particular criticism, though, and whether it is warranted. Sometimes the criticism stems from perceptions of the situation that aren't based on facts or reality, but are based in emotion and anger. It's hard to let those criticisms pass without questioning them. Everyone on here should be able to express their emotions and receive unconditional commiseration and support. But when those emotions are turned around and projected as bad behavior by the guys, I question it.

To me, the sad thing is that all of these wonderful things are happening now for the guys (note I'm not saying the Eagles, I don't care what we call them) I mean Don, Tim and Joe - the epic radio channel the content of which is 99% pre-Glenn's death, the tour, who knows what else to come, and fans on here cannot celebrate these things and reject them outright as not being legitimate - I don't even know what that means. This is what I mean by reality vs. emotion. I never thought I'd see that here.

I think that is the very fundamental underlying issue that results in the tone you are noticing, and it is so unfortunate. But, there has always been pretty heated debate here (usually relating to Felder LOL)
    Once again, repeat ad nauseam.... these allegedly 'wonderful' things are not legitimate because this band is no longer the Eagles. So yes, I reject all of it. So you can say you don't care what we call them. THEY are calling themselves 'Eagles' which I reject.

I think it's interesting that you feel the side you support deals in 'facts' and 'reality' while the other side deals in 'emotion & anger'. You therefore feel that because we are 'emotional' our arguments have no validity. While I note Dreamer's comments above, I take strong exception to this.

To me, of course, it's the opposite. My side deals with the reality that these men are continuing an operation which I believed was finished. My side also deals with the reality that Glenn Frey is dead & apparently receding into the past every day with no effort being made to keep his memory alive.

So keep your 'reality' because I want no part of it. No, thank you, as somebody once said. Nobody is stopping you from continuing to follow them and enjoying whatever is to come, as you put it.