Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    The fans who are buying the tickets don’t agree. The fans and the critics who have actually seen them perform don’t agree. If it’s no longer the Eagles, why do you care how fans spend their money?

I would never pay money to see Journey with the fake Steve Perry (and I love Journey). Maybe b/c I was fortunate to see them in their 80s heyday. But I don’t harbor any ill will against the current Journey and I don’t really care if people want to pay good money to see them now.
    Once again, I do not accept that because 'fans' and 'critics' call them the 'Eagles' that means I have to do the same.

You ask why I care?

I care, because all these people of whom you speak, the survivors included, are giving the impression that Glenn Frey meant nothing to any of them. The survivors are happy to give the fans second or third best. The fans apparently aren't bothered that he's gone. That is why I care. What has happened has been a downgrading, a cheapening of what the Eagles used to be. It's easy for me to just shrug my shoulders, I suppose, and I guess I will do that as time goes by. I would however have preferred to remember them as they were than by seeing this cheap imitation being paraded around.

The fans who are buying the tickets don’t agree. The fans and the critics who have actually seen them perform don’t agree. If it’s no longer the Eagles, why do you care how fans spend their money?

I would never pay money to see Journey with the fake Steve Perry (and I love Journey). Maybe b/c I was fortunate to see them in their 80s heyday. But I don’t harbor any ill will against the current Journey and I don’t really care if people want to pay good money to see them now.
    Because it feels wrong. It is wrong, to those that care to sit down and have a think on it. That's all the further I'm going to go with this. It's clear how we feel.

Let them pay to see a watered-down Eagles. I don't really care what they like or what they do. If they like it, may they have a good time. It's the people in the "band" now, that I'm not happy with. The people responsible for this, IMO, fraud.

No Glenn = No Eagles. You can't take the most important member or at the very least one of the two most important members of a band away and it be the same.

For me, I love Journey. But there was a Journey before Steve. As much as it wasn't anywhere near as good. The founder of the band is king, in my book. Not the person who made them famous. For me, Neal Schon is that guy, along with a few others. It's who broke the ground and sought all the other members. Which is why I will always stick by Neal even in recent news of him and Jonathan Cain being on the outs, I side by Neal. Jonathan was NOT an original member. Period.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Once again, I do not accept that because 'fans' and 'critics' call them the 'Eagles' that means I have to do the same.

You ask why I care?

I care, because all these people of whom you speak, the survivors included, are giving the impression that Glenn Frey meant nothing to any of them. The survivors are happy to give the fans second or third best. The fans apparently aren't bothered that he's gone. That is why I care. What has happened has been a downgrading, a cheapening of what the Eagles used to be. It's easy for me to just shrug my shoulders, I suppose, and I guess I will do that as time goes by. I would however have preferred to remember them as they were than by seeing this cheap imitation being paraded around.
    I am sorry you believe the fans, critics, and survivors are giving the impression that Glenn means nothing. I do not believe that to be the case at all. I cannot recall a recent review or interview or band activity e.g. the Opry concert where Glenn’s name was not invoked. I disagree that fans aren’t bothered that he’s gone. I listen to the concert clips from the past year and he is very much missed. Especially when I compare them to the ‘76 live concert cd. However the others have something to offer too, and fans willing to pay high ticket prices to see them to me doesn’t translate to them not being bothered by Glenn’s absence.

When I think of Journey, I remember them as they were back then. I give little thought to what they are doing now (I’m not saying the situations are exactly the same, just that on some level they are similar).

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

If you think this version of the 'Eagles' is adequate, then I suppose you are 'getting what you paid for'. If you don't think it's the real band any more, then the high prices can no longer be justified.

I have already said that I no longer thought the prices were 'worth it' even in 2015. I had already decided I would not be seeing them again.

Saying that it's OK to say you can't afford it or you won't pay it but it's not OK to criticise the people who are setting those prices makes no sense at all. There is more to it than saying 'well, I won't go'. It comes down to whether the product being sold is worth the money. In my view it is not.
    I applaud this because if you don’t believe the prices are worth it, fans like you who decide not to go are important. If there were more fans like you prices would finally come down

Stuck on the Border

Sorry, I didn’t mean to cause a brouhaha when I re-stated the OP’s question. It just seemed no one was answering it. However it was stated, I do not agree its a foregone conclusion that supporters of the current line-up would respond, “no way, they’re not greedy!” I actually believe they are being a little greedy. I qualify that b/c I don’t know how much the band members control ticket prices (and “members” does not include Azoff). And I don’t use the term with disgust or contempt but more with tired resignation. Also, they are being no more greedy than they were in 1994 or 2001 or 2013. Why is it such a point of contention now? I confess I have not read every thread on this board but I do not recall such vexing over ticket prices in past concert discussions.

It bothers me that they don’t make some attempts to economize for the sake of their fans. Why not shed some of the excess backing musicians? Like Steuart Smith; Vince Gill could learn his parts. I guess ticket buyers are paying for their retirement too.

Thank you for your post, My My; I get it now. The part I bolded nails it—back then it seems most people weren’t that extravagant, for lack of a better word.
    Delilah - I agree with the statement I bolded. We know the Eagles were always about money from day one. Back in the 70's I think they did not charged any more than any other band. They could not have gotten away with it then. I have read most of these threads but not all of them. I have seen people complain about the price of tickets. Just not as much as now that Glenn is gone.
    The Eagles took all kinds of crap when the re-united in 94 and started the beginning of high ticket prices. They were heavily criticized by the media and fans for those high prices, and rightfully so. They were charging a top price of $100 when the average ticket price was appx. $35.00. Not only myself, but numerous friends had want to see them in the HOTE tour. They could not afford the tickets. These are people who had kids in college - in some cases two kids at the same time. They could not afford to spend $500(or more) on two tickets. It also bothers me that they don’t make some attempts to economize for the sake of their fans. At this point in time I don't think they can get rid of the backing musicians as they all take a heavy load off Don, Joe and Tim. As long as people keep paying those high prices they will keep charging them. The Classic concerts showed what happens when people refuse to pay those crazy prices. The ticket prices were dropped and single day tickets were sold.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Delilah - I agree with the statement I bolded. We know the Eagles were always about money from day one. Back in the 70's I think they did not charged any more than any other band. They could not have gotten away with it then. I have read most of these threads but not all of them. I have seen people complain about the price of tickets. Just not as much as now that Glenn is gone.
    The Eagles took all kinds of crap when the re-united in 94 and started the beginning of high ticket prices. They were heavily criticized by the media and fans for those high prices, and rightfully so. They were charging a top price of $100 when the average ticket price was appx. $35.00. Not only myself, but numerous friends had want to see them in the HOTE tour. They could not afford the tickets. These are people who had kids in college - in some cases two kids at the same time. They could not afford to spend $500(or more) on two tickets. It also bothers me that they don’t make some attempts to economize for the sake of their fans. At this point in time I don't think they can get rid of the backing musicians as they all take a heavy load off Don, Joe and Tim. As long as people keep paying those high prices they will keep charging them. The Classic concerts showed what happens when people refuse to pay those crazy prices. The ticket prices were dropped and single day tickets were sold.
    I would imagine the price tag attached to Vince Gill and Deacon Frey as 2017-2018 touring members of the band could be one of the reasons why tickets are as high as they are. Cost of doing business and all that passed along to the consumer aka Fans. I really don't know. Vince Gill is an established big name artist whereas Deacon, though a talented singer and guitarist was added primarily because of his last name and the fact he is Glenn's son.
    Last edited by Dawn; 12-21-2017 at 09:06 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Border Rebel

A local radio station stated that the Eagles were adding a second show in Boston because the first one was sold out. Looking for seats, it's not sold out but it is selling pretty well, so I guess many fans think the tickets are worth the high prices.

There could be a curiosity factor involved. People have probably heard of these "new Eagles" and possibly read some of the good reviews and wonder if they're really any good. Also, I know some people here won't like this, but it's probably the only chance fans have of attending a tribute to Glenn. The people around my seat at Classic East seemed very moved by Deacon and the words of tribute to Glenn.

Certain venues will sell better than others. The Jimmy Buffet Co-Headliner show should do very well though Jimmy does @ 30 shows a year, nearly every year, the parrotheads are nothing if not extremely loyal. I am wondering when they are going to announce their European tour.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    A local radio station stated that the Eagles were adding a second show in Boston because the first one was sold out. Looking for seats, it's not sold out but it is selling pretty well, so I guess many fans think the tickets are worth the high prices.

There could be a curiosity factor involved. People have probably heard of these "new Eagles" and possibly read some of the good reviews and wonder if they're really any good. Also, I know some people here won't like this, but it's probably the only chance fans have of attending a tribute to Glenn. The people around my seat at Classic East seemed very moved by Deacon and the words of tribute to Glenn.
    I don't see these shows as tributes to Glenn at all. A couple of words is not a tribute, no matter who is uttering them. A tribute would consist of people doing his songs, Eagles & solo, not other Eagles songs sung by the other Eagles. A proper tribute might even actually involve Henley, Schmit & Walsh talking about Glenn instead of leaving it entirely to his poor son.

I say again that if they had made an effort to do a proper tribute show, I would feel far less bitter towards them than I do.

I don't see these shows as tributes to Glenn at all. A couple of words is not a tribute, no matter who is uttering them. A tribute would consist of people doing his songs, Eagles & solo, not other Eagles songs sung by the other Eagles. A proper tribute might even actually involve Henley, Schmit & Walsh talking about Glenn instead of leaving it entirely to his poor son.

I say again that if they had made an effort to do a proper tribute show, I would feel far less bitter towards them than I do.
    I think don speaks some about Glenn but I don’t think joe and Tim talk about him at all. It’s a shame