Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: LROOE press

Default Re: LROOE press

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Glenn's been promoted: 'twin-guitar tag team'. I wish. It wouldn't hurt him to play more lead guitar. However, a lot of the lead guitar on this album is by Steuart.

I also loved the description of ILTWAWD. Hear hear! I will shamelessly plug this song whenever I get a chance.

I disagree about Henley's singing not being so good. I think he does some of the best singing of his entire career on this album.

As for 'cautiously optimistic, apathy-berating' It's Your World Now? I have never seen a Glenn Frey song described in this manner. To me he's encouraging the next generation rather than 'berating' the current generation, although I guess it could be interpreted that way.
    Glenn had said in an interview that IYWN is being sung by a man who's dying. I assume it's to his wife/girlfriend, but I can't remember if he actually said that part in the interview or not.

Stuck on the Border

I think if you focus on the 'dying man' idea it's too narrow. After all, in the course of the song the narrator dances with the woman, kisses her and has 'one' glass of wine. Hardly the actions of a man who is about to shuffle off this mortal coil. I prefer to think of the 'I must be leaving soon' and 'my race is run' stuff in a broader sense of him passing the torch. When I first heard it and focused on the 'dying' stuff it upset me too much.

I think Don said something about how the song was a message to their children, as the key lines 'be part of something good/leave something good behind' state. I vaguely remember that Glenn said both this song and Centre Of The Universe were messages to the next generation.

Out on the Border

"Busy Being Fabulous This is the New Single In The Netherlands, Great Song.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesvet View Post
    Glenn had said in an interview that IYWN is being sung by a man who's dying. I assume it's to his wife/girlfriend, but I can't remember if he actually said that part in the interview or not.
    Yes, that was the Capital Gold interview, I believe, where Glenn said the song is told from the perspective of a dying man.

I figure it's a "message to the kids" type song.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

And to their fans, Glenn and Don also said in an interview
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Stuck on the Border

When did they say the song was a message to their fans? Can you provide a specific quote? I don't see how it is specifically addressed to fans.

To me, if it is sung by a dying man, then the 'first a kiss/one glass of wine/just one more dance/while there's still time' lines are somewhat at variance with the story, shall we say. If that is Glenn's view of it, fine, but I maintain it is too narrow a perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    When did they say the song was a message to their fans? Can you provide a specific quote? I don't see how it is specifically addressed to fans.
    Don: "But I think the point of the whole album is summed up on the last song that Glenn wrote with Jack Tempchin, '[It's] Your World Now.' The crux of the whole thing for me is those two lines: 'Be part of something good, leave something good behind.' For me that sums up everything -- to my children, to my fans, to everybody. If there was one message to this album that I want to impart, that would be it."

Billboard 2007

To me, if it is sung by a dying man, then the 'first a kiss/one glass of wine/just one more dance/while there's still time' lines are somewhat at variance with the story, shall we say. If that is Glenn's view of it, fine, but I maintain it is too narrow a perspective.
    Freypower, how is "first a kiss/one glass of wine/just one more dance/while there's still time" at variance with a guy who's dying and knows he doesn't have much time left, so he's trying to cram in a few last experiences? That he may only have time for just one more dance (as opposed to many dances)? It makes perfect sense from the perspective of a dying man.

You can interpret it however you like, but since Glenn co-wrote the song, I would hesitate to say his explanation of his own work is "too narrow"!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I only thought that if you're about to die, you would not be able to dance, still less drink, unless he's only just found out that he's dying and...

Sorry, this has become morbid. But perhaps that is the best way to look at it. He isn't literally on his deathbed but that may not be too far away for him.

So let me put it another way. I think the lyrics improve once we're away from the 'dying' part into the 'now I'm passing on my message' part.
    Last edited by Freypower; 10-26-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Once I heard that Capitol Gold interview, and listened to IYWN again with the new insight, it actually seemed to make a whole lot more sense to me. Previously, I couldn't understand why it was he was saying a "final" goodbye to someone he obviously cared so much about.
    The line, "My race is run," reminds me of a Biblical reading that says something like, "I have run the good race to the finish," which St. Paul apparently wrote in his twilight years...so I think that also fits in with Glenn's original message. But, like all songs, messages develop in the minds of the listeners, based on their own life observations and experiences!
    On another note, why is is that all of our HSG guys get jilted in the songs on LROOE? Are these women crazy? That was something I also couldn't understand...but I guess it makes for good songwriting!

Stuck on the Border

Does Joe get jilted? GOTC is a 'new love story' and in LGTIT he 'knows you'll come on down' which could refer to a woman, even though he spends most of the time alone in the song.