Page 97 of 166 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    He can tour with them without being an Eagle. I'm not saying he's definitely not going to be one, I'm just saying we can't assume that he is one because it hasn't been confirmed yet.
    I completely agree.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Music fans like sports and other types of fans are going to have opinions good, bad and ugly. That's to be expected - even appreciated - it goes with the territory. I'm not here to change minds or hearts.

What I am trying to do is be as honest/forthright as I can be while sharing my own thoughts and feelings. I make no apologies for my disappointment in Don Henley who I believe is well intentioned but misguided. I will not speculate about what Glenn would have wanted or not wanted.

As a fan I get to decide when it's time to say goodbye to a band I have loved and supported since the early 70's and that time came in January 2016 with the death of Glenn Frey.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Personally I don't think there is any question that Vince Gill has offically joined the Eagles for the Classic summer tour and frankly I won't be surprised if he ends up recording a new album with them. Remember, first and foremost the real fun and money is in touring but touring to promote a new album is even better.
    An Eagles album without Glenn.... So. Freaking. Wrong.

However, if this really is a new iteration of the Eagles, there is nothing stopping them from making as many albums as they like.

Would there really be much of a market for an album by this line up, though? Even the real Eagles didn't stay at the top long with LROOE, and that was 10 years ago. I don't think this line up would do nearly as well. To those who think of the Eagles as a rock band, Vince Gill might actually be a turn off, despite his considerable talent. A drop off in sales, a considerable drop off, would be hard to avoid.

Poor album sales would be another way to render the band's final years inglorious, although to be fair reduced sales is not an indicator of quality, and quality is what counts. Unfortunately, the quality would inevitably be reduced by Glenn's absence, so that's not a win either.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    An Eagles album without Glenn.... So. Freaking. Wrong.

However, if this really is a new iteration of the Eagles, there is nothing stopping them from making as many albums as they like.

Would there really be much of a market for an album by this line up, though? Even the real Eagles didn't stay at the top long with LROOE, and that was 10 years ago. I don't think this line up would do nearly as well. To those who think of the Eagles as a rock band, Vince Gill might actually be a turn off, despite his considerable talent. A drop off in sales, a considerable drop off, would be hard to avoid.

Poor album sales would be another way to render the band's final years inglorious, although to be fair reduced sales is not an indicator of quality, and quality is what counts. Unfortunately, the quality would inevitably be reduced by Glenn's absence, so that's not a win either.
    Assuming the "experiment" goes well and Azoff lines up more Classic tour dates and venues featuring the Eagles as headliners my initial thought on this idea was for them to do a Live concert album down the road. Perhaps even the upcoming summer Classic tour but that seems overly ambitious no matter how well they have their new act down.

Inglorious. Now that's a word tbat underscores my exact sentiments.

Earth, Wind and Fire approve of the Eagles continuing

http://www.wjbdradio.com/music-news/...nna-be-healing

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    @F50: He's that good. He's played with Albert Lee, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton -- and Mark Knopfler approached him in the early 90s about joining Dire Straits.

Here, he's with the great Gregg Allman and Zac Brown for "Midnight Rider." Hang with it until the end, when he lights it up with a howling solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbnWr1-Qsc
    Thanks Pippinwhite, I've no doubt that Vince is good. I definitely going to hang with it but you aint going to turn me into a Vince fan.

People are saying this tarnishes the legacy of the band. There have been quite a few occasions when I've thought the same thing in the 40ish years I've been an Eagles fan. A few that come immediately to mind are; the piped intro to the live performances of Long Road Out Of Eden, the huge backing band, particularly the horns, Steuart Smith's exclusion and their lack of new material. I've been bracing myself for the introduction of female backing singers for some time but frankly, the legacy doesn't bother me anymore. If the band aren't bothered, why should I be.

I disagree with the fans who say Glenn wouldn't have continued the band without Henley. When Glenn was struggling to sell tickets to his live solo shows, he roped in Joe for The Party Of Two Tour. A purely financial decision, as far as I can see. If Glenn's income dried up, I'd expect him to do, whatever it takes, to address it.

I'm sure Vince and Deacon would love to be on an Eagles album. I hope their enthusiasm rubs off onto the others. I'm sure Glenn would be on it too.

Stuck on the Border

Delilah - First off, I want to clarify my statement as to the band moving on. I of course did not mean them not moving on with their lives. What I meant to say was I objected to them moving forward as a group and calling themselves the Eagles. I worded it the wrong way and for that I apologize.

Obviously, you and others disagree with those of us who feel continuing and calling themselves the Eagles is fine. I understand that. However, I don't feel I am being sanctimonious when I say I object with the band continuing and calling themselves that. I have stated it before and will say it again - I would love to see Don, Tim and Joe touring together and in fact would pay to see a show like that. Of course they can do whatever they like. It dose not mean I have to be happy with it. I feel it tarnishes the legacy of the band.

As for filming these concerts series, I think it is sad to think they would film these and not have filmed at least one show of the HOTE Tour. And, yes, I know WHY they would film these Classic shows.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 06-03-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Stuck on the Border

On the question of whether Glenn would have continued the band without Don, my first instinct is "no", but then I believed the same of Don, so who knows? Overall, it seems less likely given Glenn's health issues. He seems to have had lots of other projects lined up and possibly his desire to perform would have been satisfied by the occasional private or charity show.

Looking forward, I'm keen to hear how Deacon sounds. He's got the look - like his dad but different - and I'm hoping the same will be true of his singing. I don't want a copy, I want something that will fit but bring something new. He has more formal musical education than Glenn had and is a graduate of Berklees College. He started playing younger, had better intruments and, no doubt, instruction from fine musicians. He's grown up backstage at major venues. He's played with his father in front of audiences and has been through the Frey rehearsal process. Henley says he's talented, so fingers crossed that he lives up to his pedigree.

Stuck on the Border

UTW, According to Deacon's FB Page( which he must have just closed) he went to Emerson College in Boston. Also, Glenn was classically trained in piano from the ages of 5 to 12. He also was first chair in his HS band that, according to someone who knew his brother that posted here awhile ago, played at Detroit Lions half time shows and competed in state championships. In fact, he was so talented the band director was pissed about him throwing his promising musical career away when he quit to join/form his first rock band. I had read an interview where Tim stated his son Ben was attending Berklee.

Just read where Deacon stated he started playing guitar at age seven "a baby Taylor", which was a gift from Glenn. Deacon is talented and being back stage at all those Eagles concerts since he was a baby has probably given him a good prospective on the music business. I wish him well.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 06-03-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Stuck on the Border

I wonder where I got that from? Probably my brain jumbling things. Anyway, I still want to hear him.