Page 70 of 166 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Reststorm - I have never seen the movie "Wayne's World" - not my kind of movie. Therefore, I missed the reference related to the film. In regards to the struggles between Don and Glenn in the late 1970's, the book "To The Limit" goes deeply into the struggle as does a couple other books. Don was interviewed for this book for the updated printing as was Jackson, Joe Walsh, JD, friends of the group and Eagles roadies who discussed it at length. I know it has been pointed out regarding glaring errors made by Eliot regarding family info, etc. However I tend to believe the info given by those who knew them best regarding the struggle for control by Don and Glenn. From statements made not only in this book but in press interviews later given by Don, the struggle continued during the HFO Tour and appeared to ebb and flow. Somewhere along the line Glenn regained control and was the acknowledge leader. However, I would think nothing ever got past Don(or Irving) without their ok. I hope this clears up my statements regarding this.

In regards to my other comments which were not intended for you, I am not attacking members of the band. I did state that this resumption tour/festival has, in my opinion, tarnished the legacy of the Eagles. I found it very hard that they can continue without the founding member of the band who was there since it's inception. I feel I have just as much a right to say this as people who feel that there is nothing wrong with them continuing as the "Eagles". This is simply my opinion. In reference to people stating hateful comments about the group - I have never stated this. I always have and always will love all the Eagles. They have been my favorite group since the 1970's. Don, Joe and Tim are extremely talented musician. I have seen Don in the past and he puts won a wonderful show. Unfortunately I have never had the pleasure of seeing Joe and Tim.
    In my opinion, Don, Tim and Joe can tour together and not bill themselves as the Eagles. They would have not trouble selling tickets. Again, it is just my opinion, but I feel this tarnishes the legacy of the band. Don is now the keeper of this legacy.

This is just my opinion and not intended towards anyone in particular. I believe the ticket prices for this event are outrageous. They are more expensive than last years shows, which was three days and offered daily passes. These high prices keep many fans who want to see them from being unable to do. Hundreds of people have made such statements on FB.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 04-22-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Banned

Angry Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Thanks for the welcome, Soda. I appreciate your criticism of my "newness" to the forum, but I have read it for many years and haven't felt compelled to post. My comfort level in conveying familiarity comes from the fact that I am a lifelong, die-hard fan of this band. I have dedicated a lot of time, energy and money to it, along with constant love. I communicate from a place of feeling as if you're all my people, even if none of you know who I am, and that I can say what I feel.

I'm just baffled by the feeling from so many that nothing the remaining members do, outside of stopping altogether, is good enough. Glenn's death hurt a lot of people, myself included, and this band will never be the same. The band, and its members, have consistently acknowledged his indispensable leadership. They have performed music dedicated to him, publicly and privately, for audiences big and small. They have gone out of their way to tell the truth that he can never be replaced. They have so clearly helped Glenn's survivors through an impossibly difficult experience.

They have also decided, contrary to previous statements, to continue with what's left. In keeping with the love for Glenn, they have discussed his irreplacability and received the go ahead from his family. One family member, it appears, may approve so strongly that he has opted to participate. Glenn will not be forgotten, ever, by the band or its true fans. I believe I am one of those.

So I understand an unwillingness from many to go along with the Eagles in current form. It's a struggle for me, too, believe it or not. I don't understand the harshness in expressing that emotion. I don't understand the lack of acceptance, of turning away from a group of people who, on whatever level, still carry enough love for one another to perform together. Who can survive and perhaps thrive because their former leader, Glenn Frey, nurtured his creation to become bigger than life, greater than the sum of its parts.

In that way, whether the band officially says it or not, anything the remaining Eagles do together will be a celebration of Glenn. Even their solo performances are celebrations of Glenn because none of them would have reached such heights without his influence.

I'm going to Los Angeles and I expect to be overcome by emotion. That won't change regardless of how much money the Eagles are making from these two shows. It is personal to me, and if I believe that Glenn is being celebrated and if I feel it within me, then he is. This is a different Eagles, but they will always be Glenn's Eagles.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    Not if Frey wanted them to continue on and you don't know that he didn't.

Here's a hypothetical for you: What if it came out that Frey told them to keep going or to continue on with Deacon? This easily could have happened. We don't know the particulars. We don't know enough to form such strong resentments towards the ones who are left.
    I don't know how to answer that. If it turns out that was the case, then they are honouring Glenn's wishes. But that doesn't mean I have to approve of it because it's what Glenn wanted. I am not Glenn or his family; I am just a fan who thinks without Glenn they are no longer a band. I don't agree that the entity 'Eagles' transcends the absence of either him or Don Henley. He sang & co-wrote too many of their songs for that to be the case. Because he was my favourite, I cannot envisage Henley, Walsh & Schmit performing on stage, calling themselves 'Eagles' and him not there. It breaks my heart.

What Glenn wanted was not always right, in my view. 'I sang less. We had Don Henley' wasn't right. He pushed himself into the background far too often. I guess it wouldn't surprise me that much if at the end he thought they could succeed without him. But that doesn't make it RIGHT. Now this is a contentious opinion; I am well aware of that.

It seems to me, cynic that I am, that the jury is still out on whether these shows will celebrate Glenn in any way. I say once more that if a proper tirbute show, billed as such, had been arranged, then I would not feel half the 'resentment' that I do feel. I am with others in being appalled by the clumsy & insensitive way this has been put together. That is why the impression is that it is about money, not celebration, and the more pro-Remnants people push the 'business' aspect the more alienated I become.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-23-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    The talent budget for these mega concerts and festivals is HUGE. I would imagine Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles probably got the same performance guarantee as co-headliners.

FYI

Reportedly, the iconic and legendary band Led Zeppelin was offered $14 million to reunite and perform at last year's Desert Trip.

One member was all for it. The other said no.

Led Zeppelin did not perform.

The no guy won.
    I'm probably nitpicking, but this make it looks like there are two Zeppelin members still alive. There are three.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I'm probably nitpicking, but this make it looks like there are two Zeppelin members still alive. There are three.
    Yes of course but pursuant to Desert Trip 2016 the news report I'm referring to focused only on two perhaps because it's unknown what the 3rd member wanted or didn't want. Personally I'm not surprised. If it was about money the band would have reformed/reunited long ago.

I'd say it was probably Page all for it and Plant saying no...no offense to Robert but his solo shows and material just doesn't do it for me and certainly not the whole bluegrass thing he did with AK. I wish he'd do it again with Page, Jones, and Jason Bonham. I think it would be a great show. Even another Page/Plant show. Again, another case where I would prefer a band continue but with the guys I just don't feel that way. I feel like as good as John Bonham was, he wasn't as irreplaceable as say Plant or Page. I feel Frey and Henley were/are the Plant/Page of the Eagles. I wouldn't go see them without one of them alive or gone. Just wouldn't feel right. Then again, I go see shows where the frontman isn't original. So it really is a case-by-case deal with me.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I'd say it was probably Page all for it and Plant saying no...no offense to Robert but his solo shows and material just doesn't do it for me and certainly not the whole bluegrass thing he did with AK. I wish he'd do it again with Page, Jones, and Jason Bonham. I think it would be a great show. Even another Page/Plant show. Again, another case where I would prefer a band continue but with the guys I just don't feel that way. I feel like as good as John Bonham was, he wasn't as irreplaceable as say Plant or Page. I feel Frey and Henley were/are the Plant/Page of the Eagles. I wouldn't go see them without one of them alive or gone. Just wouldn't feel right. Then again, I go see shows where the frontman isn't original. So it really is a case-by-case deal with me.
    It's "case-by-case" for me too. Personally I'd have no interest in Led Zeppelin if there was no John Paul Jones. It's not just an image thing ("must see the original guys"), but IMO Jones has always been their "secret weapon" musically. An unbelievable musician/player/arranger. Also my favorite Zeppeling song (No Quarter) is mainly his.

Stuck on the Border

Redstorm - Thank You for offer the olive branch. - it is greatly appreciated. I guess we all are too emotional about this...... and for this I apologize.

Frey Power - I agree with pretty much everything you said. I have no idea, nor does anyone else here, know what Glenn and his family wanted. This whole festival with the announcement could have been handled very differently. Days and days and days of speculation and than Don's comment of something along the lines of " So I'm told". I think it just left a bad taste in some people mouth so to speak. IMHO, there should have been some kind of official statement regarding their participation with perhaps an acknowledgement that it had the Frey families blessing.
    FP - I agree with you regarding Glenn - I think he hurt himself in regards to the numerous statements since the 80's regarding his participation/role in the Eagles as both a singer/songwriter when he lavished nothing but praise on Don(which was true) while downplaying his accomplishments. I have seen many statement on other fan sites and you tube stating he was the least talented of the group. I feel the group lost something when Don took over the role as lead singer. One of the things I loved about the group was that they had Don, Glenn, and Randy who sang beautifully and added so much with three lead vocalists.

**NOTE - I was on Amazon the other day to check on an order of mine when I saw you can get "To The Limit" in Kindle. However, like I said, it was sloppy research, with numerous mistakes and some of it should be taken with a grain of salt. Eliot does not have too much of anything nice to say about Glenn. As a matter of fact, when Don gave that interview with him in I believe 2007 for the updated version of the book, he made some really mean, snide and nasty comments about Glenn too. IMHO, I believe this was one of the main reasons he tried to stop publication of the book - and not his arrest in 1980. You had to really search for that in the book. Of course until Eliot got pissed over Don's actions and he(Eliot) then went into detail regarding the whole incident. I think this may have been around when LROE was going on and Don and Glenn were at there "he loves me not" phase.
    ***I forgot to add that I feel much of Glenn and Don's arguing over control in the 70's was inducted by their heavy Cocaine use. Which Don F. stated in his book.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 04-23-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, Soda. I appreciate your criticism of my "newness" to the forum, but I have read it for many years and haven't felt compelled to post. My comfort level in conveying familiarity comes from the fact that I am a lifelong, die-hard fan of this band. I have dedicated a lot of time, energy and money to it, along with constant love. I communicate from a place of feeling as if you're all my people, even if none of you know who I am, and that I can say what I feel.

I'm just baffled by the feeling from so many that nothing the remaining members do, outside of stopping altogether, is good enough. Glenn's death hurt a lot of people, myself included, and this band will never be the same. The band, and its members, have consistently acknowledged his indispensable leadership. They have performed music dedicated to him, publicly and privately, for audiences big and small. They have gone out of their way to tell the truth that he can never be replaced. They have so clearly helped Glenn's survivors through an impossibly difficult experience.

They have also decided, contrary to previous statements, to continue with what's left. In keeping with the love for Glenn, they have discussed his irreplacability and received the go ahead from his family. One family member, it appears, may approve so strongly that he has opted to participate. Glenn will not be forgotten, ever, by the band or its true fans. I believe I am one of those.

So I understand an unwillingness from many to go along with the Eagles in current form. It's a struggle for me, too, believe it or not. I don't understand the harshness in expressing that emotion. I don't understand the lack of acceptance, of turning away from a group of people who, on whatever level, still carry enough love for one another to perform together. Who can survive and perhaps thrive because their former leader, Glenn Frey, nurtured his creation to become bigger than life, greater than the sum of its parts.

In that way, whether the band officially says it or not, anything the remaining Eagles do together will be a celebration of Glenn. Even their solo performances are celebrations of Glenn because none of them would have reached such heights without his influence.

I'm going to Los Angeles and I expect to be overcome by emotion. That won't change regardless of how much money the Eagles are making from these two shows. It is personal to me, and if I believe that Glenn is being celebrated and if I feel it within me, then he is. This is a different Eagles, but they will always be Glenn's Eagles.
    Very well said, and it pretty much sums up how I feel (except for the fact of being new to posting or having my posts misinterpreted). But it's definitely how I feel about the band. I won't be going to either of the festivals, but mostly of the price tag, and because I don't like that kind of a concert. If they announce more shows that are better-priced and near me geographically, I will definitely go to see them. It will be sad, yes, but I will go.

I just wanted to add my thoughts on a tribute concert. I think it would have been nice for them to do one for the fans' benefit, but I have my doubts as to whether they will and I'm okay with that. They chose to honor Glenn in their own way, behind closed doors. I believe that they probably needed a way to honor him where they weren't watched by the public. For performers constantly in the public eye, I think they value their privacy, and that would hold especially true when grieving. I would hope that they would honor Glenn in some way in the upcoming concerts, and I fully expect that they will. I would love to see a public tribute concert, but I am fine with not having one. Everyone grieves in their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I'd say it was probably Page all for it and Plant saying no... .
    And you'd probably be right ... Good call WF88

I love LZ but would rather see them stay retired than reunite for no better reason than to cash out because that's what it would be given "I'm Not a Jukebox" Robert Plant's long held sentiments.

A few years ago I was lucky to see a 50th anniversary Beach Boys concert with David Marks, Mike Love, Al Jardine and Bruce. Seeing them all together with Brian playing special tribute to his beloved brothers and original bandmates Carl and Dennis was incredibly moving. After the 50th Anniversary tour was over it became clear Brian would not be joining Mike Love's Beach Boys band but rather would have to go it alone as Brian Wilson. Hard as it may have been to accept -I felt it was the right thing to do and I still feel that way. In fact, it's turned out to be an amazing and very successful journey for Brian! His band is absolutely first rate and together they have gotten rave reviews for the Smile and current Pet Sounds tours. I don't hate Mike Love I just hate what happened and Thank God for Brian Wilson.