Page 69 of 166 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    The Eagles are such horrible people for not dedicating every single one of their remaining breaths to Glenn (whom I absolutely love, by the way), even though Don, Joe and Glenn have talked about him at every public performance and in every interview since his death while also performing a song in his memory at every live show.

Deacon Frey has possibly chosen to remember his father by performing with the band, which somehow makes the band even more evil. And that is fine to point out as long as you make perfectly clear your hatred doesn't reflect in any way on Deacon. It's laughable.

Some of you are absolutely determined to turn on this band and this group of people for the way they've chosen to live their lives, even though it's basically consistent with all of their previous years, save for one when they were unsure if they would continue. It's music. It's entertainment. And for the Eagles, it's work. They want to do it, and they want to get paid for it.

Get over it.
    Maybe I missed something, but where did anyone say that "The Eagles are such horrible people for not dedicating every single one of their remaining breaths to Glenn" and call the band "evil"? There was one guy about a month ago who quoted the Bible... that's about as close as you get to that.

Also, being extremely disappointed in the band and strongly disapproving of their choices doesn't mean we "hate" them. It's true I believe the band has lost its legitimacy as the "Eagles" and the remaining members have lost a great deal of my respect, but I'll always love the band they used to be. I don't wish ill on any of them.

I realize you're upset at people who aren't happy with the band's decision to continue without Glenn, but maybe sit back a bit and take a deep breath before lashing out. This is, after all, only your fifth post here. Perhaps it's a bit early to make such harsh judgments about people when you have not interacted with any of us outside of this very heated thread.

Belatedly... welcome to the forum!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

The talent budget for these mega concerts and festivals is HUGE. I would imagine Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles probably got the same performance guarantee as co-headliners.

FYI

Reportedly, the iconic and legendary band Led Zeppelin was offered $14 million to reunite and perform at last year's Desert Trip.

One member was all for it. The other said no.

Led Zeppelin did not perform.

The no guy won.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968
    Quote Originally Posted by New Kid in Town
    Delilah - I made the comment about Glenn being the leader in response to numerous comments made by other people. I agree with you in that there was a huge struggle between Glenn and Don in the late 70's over who would be the leader. This was one of the numerous reason why they broke up in 1980.

After they resumed in 1994 for HFO, I think there was still a struggle before they reach some kind of compromise. Somewhere along the way Glenn became the leader. However, I do not believe anything got done without Don's approval. I agree that the struggle between the two ebbed and flowed and it sounded like it continued during the making of LROE.

Chaim - I am not saying that Don, Joe and Tim should not sing together. However, I personally feel calling themselves "Eagles" without one of the two founding member negatively affects the legacy of the band. Nothing more and nothing less.

I know since 1994 that the Eagles have been all about money when it comes to ticket prices. Back than when I saw them I paid $75.00 - which was a lot of money. My friends thought I was crazy to pay that much money. I know they can charge what they want. However, when they charged $1,500.00 downward for tickets for the HOTE Tour they priced themselves out of many, many fans who would have loved to see them. Same thing with the Wast/West Festival, $2,750.00 on down is in MHO, just a crazy amount of money. The festival last year was three days and cost less then this and one day passes were sold.

I never said I hated Don, Tim and Joe. I am just disappointed that they could not be honest up front about this. This festival did not happen over night, it took months to plan. I feel it is wrong to charge those prices and not say who the "guests" are. Just my opinion.

I'm sorry but this is not accurate AT ALL. We don't know what Frey and Henley's problems with each other were because they never actually said what they were. All we have is other people's opinions.

While I'm at it, I have other points and observations:

Number one, Frey was always the leader of the band from the inception. That doesn't mean that everyone else was unimportant or had no voice, but it was his idea to build a band based on Geffin's advice to do so. Henley did not have the temperament or the inclination to be the leader by his own admission.

Number two, the Eagles have always been all about business. Since when is that a problem? Oh, yeah, the minute they did something you guys didn't want them to.

Number three, some of you act like you are actually in the know but the truth is you really don't know any more than the rest of us. Are you mental? It's all speculation. When's the last time you an Eagle confided in you what their plans and motivations were? Let's try and get some perspective here. You really don't know these people or what kind of people they actually are. You only see what they let you see. Take a pill, for chrissakes.

Number four, what has happened to FACTS on this board? It used to be that was what was encouraged. How about netiquette? Character assassination used to be reserved for Felder only. Now anyone can any anything about anyone except Frey.

In my opinion, this is slowly killing this board and all of the fun in it. It is making enemies out of people who are supposed to be united in their for the love of one thing. Soda, I am an Eagles fan and I'd rather see you shut this thing down than have all this hate continue. Now I am going to a less hateful thread.

Edited to add: Only the first part of my post (regarding Frey/Henley leadership) was directed to NKIT. The rest in general.
    It is indeed disheartening to see so many people characterize those who are not keen on the "new Eagles" as people who have psychological problems or at the very least have major character flaws.

It's as if you are either gung-ho about the Eagles continuing without Glenn, or you are a "fanatic", "mental", full of "hatred"; etc.

You know, it is possible for two normal, psychologically stable, non-hateful people to hold opposing positions about the legitimacy of a rock band continuing without its co-founder.

This is exactly how Felder, Randy and Bernie fans felt when they were excluded from the KCH

Oh, goodness gracious, isn't this thread controversial enough without bringing that up, too?!

Stuck on the Border

Redstorm - I have never said that Glenn was not the leader of the band. Earlier in this thread I was criticized for stating this. I was concurring with you regarding the struggle between Don and Glenn over leadership of the band in the 1970's. I KNOW he founded the group, came up with the idea of the group and helped recruit Bernie and Randy. I never denied or questioned this. I am not mental and do not presume or claim to know what Don, Joe, or Tim are thinking - NOBODY DOES.
    I find it very sad that you and others make nasty comments about me and you do not even know me.

It upsets me that this is what this board has become. I did not join for this reason. I joined to be able to discus our favorite band and enjoy the stories people post regarding their experiences at concerts, etc.

I have never denied the Eagles were all about business. That is in fact one of the big criticisms against them over the years. I do not hold theis against them. However, I have complained about the ridiculous prices for concerts tickets since HFO. I am not the only one regarding this. There are numerous people on this board who have stated they would have loved to see the guys but could not afford the ticket prices.

I have never, nor would I ever criticize Deacon Frey. I lost my father in my early 30's While this is not as young as him, I know the pain and heartache it brings. I believe he is the innocent one in all of this.

Stuck on the Border

redstorm - My apologies as I should have stated most of the post was towards comments made by other people. It has been well documented regarding the struggle over leadership between Don and Glenn in the 1970's, and been confirmed this was one of that many reason for the break up of the band in 1980.
    Please do not patronize me about reading is fundamental - I can read quite well thank you. I do not appreciate your nasty comment about the mental reference either.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I don't think the reason for playing shows has changed since Glenn died. If it's a "money grubbing affair" now, it's been a "money grubbing affair" at least sinceHFO. I guess that they're just not ready to walk away from a band they've been a part of for most of their adult lives.

I don't see how keeping the special guests under wraps drives up ticket sales. Surely anybody who cares will be waiting for the guests to be announced before purchasing their ticket. I assume that people are buying tickets on the strength of the bands history and integrity.

Even solo, Don, Joe and Tim put on a good show so it's difficult to imagine them playing a disappointing show with their talents merged. I expect the majority of fans will say they got their money's worth and I'll still support the band, probably not so enthusiastically though, if the general opinion was that the two shows were below par.

Questioning someone's opinion is not criticising them.

I wish Deacon all the best but I'm not keen on nepotism.
    It could be the greatest show of all time but it cannot be anything other than disappointing with such a large part of what made the band great missing. Nothing they can do can make up for his absence & that includes drafting his son. However the 'nepotism' comment is bizarre. It implies that he will be there entirely based on his surname. This is what I meant when I stated earlier that he will be under a great deal of (I would say unnecessary) pressure.

The poeple who insist that they are 'all about business' are missing the point that common decency & respect would have on this occasion told them to forget all that and leave the band as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    That was not my point, Soda. I was not specifically referring to the people who are unhappy with the resumption, but everyone who is going overboard with all the ugliness. It just continues on and on, and it is destructive.
    Ah, yes, but criteria for what constitutes "going overboard" varies greatly from person to person... so you can bet posts addressed "in general" to "some of you" are going to be intrepreted pretty broadly.

I agree that ugliness is destructive, certainly, in these cases.

I also agree that when a thread is upsetting to you, it is best to step away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Maybe I missed something, but where did anyone say that "The Eagles are such horrible people for not dedicating every single one of their remaining breaths to Glenn" and call the band "evil"? There was one guy about a month ago who quoted the Bible... that's about as close as you get to that.

Also, being extremely disappointed in the band and strongly disapproving of their choices doesn't mean we "hate" them. It's true I believe the band has lost its legitimacy as the "Eagles" and the remaining members have lost a great deal of my respect, but I'll always love the band they used to be. I don't wish ill on any of them.

I realize you're upset at people who aren't happy with the band's decision to continue without Glenn, but maybe sit back a bit and take a deep breath before lashing out. This is, after all, only your fifth post here. Perhaps it's a bit early to make such harsh judgments about people when you have not interacted with any of us outside of this very heated thread.

Belatedly... welcome to the forum!

Well said.