Page 56 of 166 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Walshfan

After the crash Gary, Alen collins and Judy Vam Zant agreed they would NEVER use the Lynyrd Skynyrd name again. Billy Powell also said therr wouldnt be another Lynyrd Skynyrd.

They did the same thing Don did.

Here is the audio from Eagles fastlane

https://soundcloud.com/melissa-preps...assicinterview

I had a feeling it would only be these two shows

Joe said if it works out there could be more.
    I don't see JD or Don F being involved as they each have a gig of their own on one of the Classic dates.
    My feeling is that it will be Bob Seger and Jackson Browne.
    That will be fine by me. I guess Bernie will be there too and also Steuart.
    It was great to hear Don saying that it will be a different Eagles and that Glenn could never be replaced.
    Last edited by Philh; 04-08-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Any guesses on who Henley/Azoff recruited to join the brand (not a typo).

I'm thinking one of them is Deacon Frey. Bernie? Jackson? JD?

What about Steuart Smith. Did he get a mention at all?
    Since Steuart was part of the backup band, he will be there regardless. The only time Steuart won't be there if he's touring with Rodney Crowell and usually Don and the Eagles were Steuart's top priorities. He only tours with Rodney when he's not on the road with Don or the Eagles. So I would be very surprised if he wasn't there.

Scott toured with Stevie after he finished last year's tour with Don. Scott had only a two week break between gigs before he was back with Don at the New Year's Eve show in Oklahoma.

I also expect Scott, Will, and Michael there too since they were part of the Eagles bandup band for 15 years(22 for Scott. Also Will and Michael were first with Don before they were hired as the Eagles backup band). Luckily these four are with Don and they never left.

Don hasn't played drums full time since the memorial service and he's probably going to need Scott to help him with some songs. Don is probably rusty and he has to learn to play the drums for majority of the songs for 2 or 3 hours again, but than again. He might just be at the front and have Scott playing all the songs, but I don't see that happening. And probably won't be hard for Don to get back into the swing of things. At the Grammys, I think that was the first time he played the drums since their last concert together. Like Don said in an interview, fans love seeing him behind the drums. He never understood why. I know I miss him behind the drums since he doesn't play them in his solo shows except when he plays the congas during the guitar solos of Hotel California.

As to who will be there. Bernie might come back and help. There's many who they are friends. JD, Bob, Jackson, Vince Gill(I heard rumors on him). Anybody. Deacon could be one, but can he handle singing with the guys he has known all his life for 2 or 3 hours. I think he could.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 04-08-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    Here's the thing.....None of us knows how Glenn would have felt about this. It's clear his family approves, so I'm glad they had the class to approach them first. We don't know how Glenn would have reacted if Don had died first and Irving bandied about the idea of these concerts to him. I still believe there is no Eagles without Glenn, but I respect the opinions that differ from mine. I remain disappointed, and will definitely not be going, but I can't say that Glenn wouldn't have approved.
    This is a touchy subject for many and I understand that, but I am going to say this with as much respect and sensitivity as I can.

Glenn Frey was an essential Eagle in many ways. There wouldn't have been the Eagles as we know them without Frey's initial vision, business savvy, gift for song arrangement and general leadership. He created, evolved and drove the concept of the Eagles from day one until the day he passed, and knew how to surround himself with great singers and musicians...and had a great sense for when to push one out and replace him with something better for the overall band. To his credit, he checked his own ego at the door...as he pointed out in the documentary, as the band went on, he sang less and less because....they had Don Henley.

Here is the irony. Frey knew how to create a sound, a performance and a set of songs that not only hard core fans would embrace, but, more importantly from a financial standpoint, tens of millions of casual fans would embrace.

These very same casual fans who Frey instinctively knew how to capture, by and large, know Don Henley and Joe Walsh more than they know Glenn Frey, I'd wager to say. If you were to poll the world at large and say "Would you go to an Eagles concert without Don Henley? the response would be "The Eagles without Don Henley?!? Huh?!?" much more than it would be "The Eagles without Glenn Frey?!? Huh?!?"

Henley was the far bigger solo star, for one. His performances live, due pretty much exclusively to his voice, is two. Live he stood out far more to the casual fan (of which there are many more than hard core fans), than Frey. Similarly, Joe Walsh, though not an original Eagle (and technically never even an actual Eagle), stands out in live performances much more than Frey.

So, to ask whether the Eagles would have continued on without Henley is not an apples to apples comparison, imho. Half the people in the audience who expect to hear, for example, Boys of Summer, probably don't even really know or are at best only vaguely aware that that's not an Eagles song. A significant chunk of the audience would absolutely expect and demand to hear Hotel California, Desperado and One of These Nights or they'd expect their money back. The one Frey sung song that fits that category is probably Take it Easy....

Now, the sentiment in an Eagles chatboard or community group or whatever is going to be significantly different. The people in here are exceedingly well versed in the band's history, dynamics and chemistry, and, therefore, would react much more negatively, as a whole, to the idea of the Eagles continuing on without Glenn Frey.

But if this is a business decision, which it to at least a significant degree it is, the ability for the Eagles to continue on without Glenn Frey, becoming its own cover band if that makes sense, is much greater than it would have been to continue on without Don Henley, and, to some degree even, Joe Walsh, who ultimately also sells more tickets than Frey did.

[quote=OutlawManNJ;356108]Don Henley sued a guy he had a website with his name. Note the guys name was also Don Henley. DH portrays himself one way in interviews but his actions always seem to be about $$$$[/quote

Maybe? Or, it could be about status, falsehoods, preceived slights. Or any number of things.

In, any event, I knew the Eagles were a go when he didn't immediately squelch reports that the Eagles would be doing the Classic festivals with the Mac in the first place.

It's my observation that, you would have had to bind and gag the man after first sedating him with a powerful antipsychotic, to silence him if the reports were false. Remember, this is a man who proclaimed in song that he would "not go quietly...not back down."

Stay Tuned!
    CarolC

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesfan View Post
    This is a touchy subject for many and I understand that, but I am going to say this with as much respect and sensitivity as I can.

Glenn Frey was an essential Eagle in many ways. There wouldn't have been the Eagles as we know them without Frey's initial vision, business savvy, gift for song arrangement and general leadership. He created, evolved and drove the concept of the Eagles from day one until the day he passed, and knew how to surround himself with great singers and musicians...and had a great sense for when to push one out and replace him with something better for the overall band. To his credit, he checked his own ego at the door...as he pointed out in the documentary, as the band went on, he sang less and less because....they had Don Henley.

Here is the irony. Frey knew how to create a sound, a performance and a set of songs that not only hard core fans would embrace, but, more importantly from a financial standpoint, tens of millions of casual fans would embrace.

These very same casual fans who Frey instinctively knew how to capture, by and large, know Don Henley and Joe Walsh more than they know Glenn Frey, I'd wager to say. If you were to poll the world at large and say "Would you go to an Eagles concert without Don Henley? the response would be "The Eagles without Don Henley?!? Huh?!?" much more than it would be "The Eagles without Glenn Frey?!? Huh?!?"

Henley was the far bigger solo star, for one. His performances live, due pretty much exclusively to his voice, is two. Live he stood out far more to the casual fan (of which there are many more than hard core fans), than Frey. Similarly, Joe Walsh, though not an original Eagle (and technically never even an actual Eagle), stands out in live performances much more than Frey.

So, to ask whether the Eagles would have continued on without Henley is not an apples to apples comparison, imho. Half the people in the audience who expect to hear, for example, Boys of Summer, probably don't even really know or are at best only vaguely aware that that's not an Eagles song. A significant chunk of the audience would absolutely expect and demand to hear Hotel California, Desperado and One of These Nights or they'd expect their money back. The one Frey sung song that fits that category is probably Take it Easy....

Now, the sentiment in an Eagles chatboard or community group or whatever is going to be significantly different. The people in here are exceedingly well versed in the band's history, dynamics and chemistry, and, therefore, would react much more negatively, as a whole, to the idea of the Eagles continuing on without Glenn Frey.

But if this is a business decision, which it to at least a significant degree it is, the ability for the Eagles to continue on without Glenn Frey, becoming its own cover band if that makes sense, is much greater than it would have been to continue on without Don Henley, and, to some degree even, Joe Walsh, who ultimately also sells more tickets than Frey did.
    I think that's selling Glenn short. There are many more Frey songs that fans expect to hear than Take It Easy. If I were going to an Eagles concert before Glenn died, I'd certainly expect to hear Heartache Tonight, New Kid in Town, Already Gone, Tequila Sunrise, and Peaceful, Easy Feeling, at the very least. And that begs the question of who is going to sing those songs? I never liked Glenn's rendition of Take it to the Limit, and I'm not sure if I'll like the special guest stars (friends and family) singing leads on Glenn's songs. Maybe I will. Most likely I'll like some better than others, but it definitely won't be the same. Even if they're great new versions, it will be sad.

And here's where I can especially understand the Glenn fans' points of view: if Henley died, I don't think I could get on board with anyone else singing Hotel California or Desperado.

But I will say that Don is right in that continuing to tour keeps Glenn's legacy alive.

Just a note on Steuart, since someone else brought him up: I've felt for a long time that DH considers Steuart an Eagle. He's never been given the title, and most likely won't be, but I do think that's how Don views him. Unless something major keeps him from it, he'll most definitely be part of this new venture.
    Last edited by maryc2130; 04-08-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Like I posted in the Press thread after reading what Don, Joe, and Timothy said I feel a lot better about it. I do think they're going to do tributes to Glenn with these special guests and I too think it'll be at least Bernie, Bob Seger, Jason Browne, and Deacon. They might get others too but we'll have to wait and see.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Reportedly Desert Trip 2016 offered a boatload of money ($14 million) to Led Zeppelin to entice them into reuniting. One said yes. The other no. No prevailed.

Edited to add

The Eagles without Glenn Frey are not the Eagles. Shame on all involved for not retiring the band to preserve and protect its TRUE LEGACY and the irreplaceable Glenn Frey who will now be memorialized at each and every concert to remind people there once was a band called the Eagles but this isn't that band. There are two Eagles brands. Two legacies.
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-08-2017 at 02:36 PM.