Page 50 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    AT - Respectfully I have to disagree. With the exception of Jackson, JD, Linda and Bob, Irvin knows their music best. He toured with them for years while managing their career as the Eagles(going back to 1974). IMHO, Irvin's connections are much stronger to the music/entertainment industry than anyone connected to the Eagles. He would have no trouble organizing such a concert.
    Erm, but you're disagreeing with something I haven't said. I've said that Azoff doesn't know Glenn as well musically as well as Clapton and Lynne knew Harrison. Clapton & Lynne both have written songs with Harrison, performeed with him many times, produced albums with Harrison. Azoff has done none of these things with Frey. It's this musical closeness that in my opinion led to them doing such a good job with the Concert for George. I'm not sure there are people as well placed to organise a Glenn tribute as Clapton & Lynne were to organise a tribute for George Harrison.

Banned

IMHO, saying "This song is for Glenn", singing TITTL and PEF is not the kind of tribute I am talking about. I and many others here mean something along the lines of the concert done for George Harrison. Glenn certainly deserves something like this. JMO, but it is shameful something has not been done.
    I think it's unfair to even humbly criticise tributes to Glenn. Since they've worked closely with Glenn for several decades, I'm happy with whatever tribute Irving (with a "g" NKIT, sorry ), Don, Joe and Tim or anybody else sees fit.

IMHO tributes are a a voluntary action, not something to be expected of others, should always be appreciated and never taken for granted.

I thought I read, not long after Glenn's death was announced, that Irving wanted to organise the greatest tribute concert ever for Glenn.
    Maybe Glenn's family objected. Maybe Irving's satanic virtues got in the way. I don't know. It could still happen in the future of course... hopefully

Stuck on the Border

Funk 50 - Sorry for the typo error. I should not have been talking on the phone and typing at the same time. My nephew is getting married this weekend so I feel like I have been living on the phone for the past week to 10 days. I have sisters who live out of state so numerous phone calls back and forth.

I was not criticizing those tributes made by Don, Joe and Tim, and I am sorry if it came off that way. I just mean that Glenn is certainly worthy of some kind of tribute - something along the lines George received. I hope it will happen.

I was not criticizing those tributes made by Don, Joe and Tim, and I am sorry if it came off that way. I just mean that Glenn is certainly worthy of some kind of tribute - something along the lines George received. I hope it will happen.
    I don't think it's a matter of being 'worthy' or not. It's a matter of being what those who were close to Glenn feel is the appropriate way to remember him and commemorate his memory. I don't agree with everything that F50 has written in this thread, but I think this is a case where the point has been nailed. Even if they don't decide to have a huge celebration of Glenn a'la George Harrison doesn't mean that Glenn isn't considered worthy or that those close to him don't think him worthy. It just shows that they have chosen to do things in their way. I agree with F50 that we shouldn't be criticising people for not giving a tribute that we judge as 'sufficient' or not. It should be entirely up to them.

Don H has, for example, participated in the Grammys Tribute, has released heartfelt statements (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5gxPn1-KRY), has given tributes to Glenn at his solo shows, and I predict will commemorate Glenn at the upcoming concerts. In my opinion, what should count is how heartfelt these tributes are, not their scale as an 'event'.

I've been meaning to throw in my two cents about this for days...

To me, there is no Eagles without Glenn and for them to perform without him feels wrong and disrespectful. I'm not disparaging anyone who is excited by this or wants to go - it's certainly a matter of opinion. For me, a band is more than just getting someone to fill in on guitar or sing the same songs. It's a combination of personalities, and without Glenn on stage, it will be sorely lacking. The harmonies will be a lot less rich without Glenn's voice.

The nicest way to look at this is that perhaps the other three feel that continue to perform together keeps Glenn alive in some way, or maybe, as he was the first of them to go, they feel a need to be closer to each other. I get a feeling, from what they've all said in the past year, this could be true for Joe. The way this was done, however, makes it look like it was all about the money. After a year of emphatic statements from Don, Joe, and Timothy saying that the Eagles were done (with perhaps some caveats, as some of you have pointed out), they are suddenly performing together again, with no explanation? Like they weren't going to perform again...until someone offered them enough cash. I wouldn't be surprised if Irving talked them into it.

For those who suggest they made arrangements for this while Glenn was alive, we'll never know, but I doubt it. I don't see Glenn agreeing to do something where they shared the bill with anyone. They definitely could have pulled this together within the last year. This event seems to me like it's one step away from the state fair-touring has-been circuit of old rock bands, usually involving some combination of Def Leppard, Poison, Styx, Foreigner, or REO Speedwagon. I have nothing against anyone who goes to those concerts (I actually like Def Leppard and REO Speedwagon), it's just sad to me when bands that used to pack arenas are reduced to that. The Eagles are better than that.

We will never know what Glenn's wishes were about the band continuing on without him or if he ever thought about this at all. But think of it this way...when they wanted to reunite in 1990 and Glenn didn't show up, there was no reunion. They postponed several shows during the HFO tour when Glenn had surgery, when they could have gotten another guitarist/singer to fill in. They didn't go to the Kennedy Center Honors in December 2015 because Glenn couldn't be there. If Glenn had to retire and stop performing, because of his health, I sincerely doubt he would have said to the rest, "You guys go on without me."

But the bottom line here for me is, it's just too soon. Whatever their motivations are for doing this, it looks like they don't care. For me, at least, that hurts.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Erm, but you're disagreeing with something I haven't said. I've said that Azoff doesn't know Glenn as well musically as well as Clapton and Lynne knew Harrison. Clapton & Lynne both have written songs with Harrison, performeed with him many times, produced albums with Harrison. Azoff has done none of these things with Frey. It's this musical closeness that in my opinion led to them doing such a good job with the Concert for George. I'm not sure there are people as well placed to organise a Glenn tribute as Clapton & Lynne were to organise a tribute for George Harrison.
    This is clutching at straws. No, Azoff is not a musician. But he was Glenn's manager for decades. He should have done SOMETHING.

It's all very well talking about various five second dedications of songs at shows. That doesn't help the Frey fans who weren't at those shows. They have been left with nothing. The comment about tributes are 'not something to be expected' while entirely, monotonously predictable, misses the entire point. Frey fans, misguided though some of us may be, DID expect some sort of public tribute.

And it is even worse, for me anyway, when not only was there no public tribute but now we have this 'move on, nothing to see here' approach from the Remnants, as Soda calls them.

The thread has been bad enough in the last few pages with some analysing how Frey's place will be filled while at the same time reminding us of Henley's alleged obsession with money. Is this how the Eagles should be remembered? No. They should have ceased operations last January.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-05-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    This is clutching at straws. No, Azoff is not a musician. But he was Glenn's manager for decades. He should have done SOMETHING.
    I wasn't saying that Azoff should or shouldn't have done something. I was just saying that I believe that he's not as well qualified to do something of the quality of The Concert for George as Lynne/Clapton were.

It's all very well talking about various five second dedications of songs at shows. That doesn't help the Frey fans who weren't at those shows. They have been left with nothing. The comment about tributes are 'not something to be expected' while entirely, monotonously predictable, misses the entire point. Frey fans, misguided though some of us may be, DID expect some sort of public tribute.
    There have been public tributes. And, I think that the songs played themselves form part, or most, of the tributes. E.g. when Joe played "Take It To The Limit", it's clearly the song that's the tribute, and the dedication just starts the tribute off. Don H. released a particularly heartfelt tribute to Glenn. So, it hasn't just been five second dedications, it has already been more than that.

Here's a report on the statement Don H. released about Glenn.

“He was like a brother to me; we were family, and like most families, there was some dysfunction,” Henley writes. “But, the bond we forged 45 years ago was never broken, even during the 14 years that the Eagles were dissolved. We were two young men who made the pilgrimage to Los Angeles with the same dream: to make our mark in the music industry — and with perseverance, a deep love of music, our alliance with other great musicians and our manager, Irving Azoff, we built something that has lasted longer than anyone could have dreamed.”

It continues:

But, Glenn was the one who started it all. He was the spark plug, the man with the plan. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of popular music and a work ethic that wouldn’t quit. He was funny, bullheaded, mercurial, generous, deeply talented and driven. He loved his wife and kids more than anything.

We are all in a state of shock, disbelief and profound sorrow. We brought our two-year ‘History of the Eagles Tour’ to a triumphant close at the end of July and now he is gone. I’m not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life.

Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some.
    And it is even worse, for me anyway, when not only was there no public tribute but now we have this 'move on, nothing to see here' approach from the Remnants, as Soda calls them.
    For a start, there have been public tributes. The Grammys, the statements, the tributes at solo shows. It's incorrect to say that there has been no public tribute.

We don't know what they are thinking. I don't believe that they are thinking anything like 'move on, nothing to see here.' It's unfair to place those thoughts in their heads without proper evidence that that is what they are actually thinking.

Considered a Tribute Album "Common Thread The Songs of the Eagles" was released in 1993 and reportedly initiated by Don Henley and Irving Azoff in part to raise funds for Henley's Walden Woods Project.

"A portion of the royalties from the sales of this collection will go to the Walden Woods Project, a non-profit organization founded in 1990. The purpose of the Walden Woods Project is to purchase, and thereby preserve, environmentally sensitive and historically significant forestland located near Henry David Thoreau's famed retreat at Walden Pond."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comm..._of_the_Eagles.

Personally, I would like to see a tribute album of Glenn Frey music and songs performed by his friends in the industry. His former band mates could record a song or two as well. With input from his family and others like Azoff I'm sure it would be very successful.

A live tribute concert to record the album would be amazing.

Just food for thought ...

List of Tribute Albums

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tribute_albums

Stuck on the Border

I guess that I am being pedantic but the statements which were made in the immediate days after Glenn died were inevitable. So were the Grammy awards, really.

Making comments at solo shows is not giving Frey fans anything. Again, that was expected. We wanted to see his songs performed at a public concert, where people could celebrate his life and work. I suppose I will now be told that I am a very hard person to satisfy. I want more than was given. Perhaps I did expect too much. So perhaps it's time I just forgot about it.

It is patently obvious to me that I am not only out of step with the mood of this thread, but also the mood of this board which now seems to be swinging towards the band continuing without Frey. I honestly never thought I would see such a situation develop.

Banned

You're just being unrealistic, FreyPower. People can't spend all of their time grieving and mourning, regardless of how deeply the loss is felt. Life has to go on. The remaining Eagles have paid their respects to Glenn, publicly and privately, and now they're moving on. We can debate their method of moving on, but to expect Don Henley's remaining years to be a shrine and tribute to Glenn is totally unfair. That would be denial.