Page 37 of 166 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Yes. But we don't know if they are going to play any of his songs. This is the elephant in the room: what will the setlist be like? I see some have started speculating on that in the pre-concert thread. Forgive me if I don't join you.

By the way someone mentioned Steve Jobs & his legacy. There is a difference. Steve Jobs was not a musician/performer.
    That was me, FP. And I actually agree; I don't equate business with art. However, it appears others don't agree. It was they who used the "if I quit/got fired from my job/company" analogy to explain why they believe the former members deserved to be shut out of the Kennedy Center Honors. I was just extending the analogy they used to the scenario of the boss/CEO passing away, and the permanent imprint left behind by that person as the business/company continues to function.
    Last edited by Delilah; 03-31-2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Correcting omission.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I am not only going to blame Irving for this. Don is the next most obvious person, the person who said they would be 'desperate' to perform without Glenn. The cold hard facts are that Joe & Tim have no say. They do what they are told. They always have.
    Indeed, TBS himself practically admits he just wants to play bass and sing, and Joe stays absolutely neutral on any question about Eagles governance or feuds. Look at what allegedly happened when Felder asked them both for help just before he was given the boot: they shied away from him and basically apologised for the verdict. Both Joe and TBS were / are very firmly under the cosh whenever it comes to Eagles matters, their bargaining powers are virtually nil. The only being who could put a stop to this cash grab (more so than Glenn's estate) is Don H. He hasn't. I openly admit Don is my favourite Eagle and one of my heroes, so his seeming compliance really does hurt.

I just thought of something but it may be a long shot. What IF they had they had talks of doing this thing BEFORE Glenn went into the hospital and passed? Festival's often take a Year or 2 to plan so if it was in talks right after or during the HOTE tour and were ready to sign off on it but then Glenn unfortunately. Became Ill so they could be just honoring a commitment. If they pulled out of this if it was indeed planned before Glenn became ill and he was actively doing the negotiations and left Don to finalize it, they could have faced a very big lawsuit .

So maybe they said we will do this and be done with it

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    I just thought of something but it may be a long shot. What IF they had they had talks of doing this thing BEFORE Glenn went into the hospital and passed? Festival's often take a Year or 2 to plan so if it was in talks right after or during the HOTE tour and were ready to sign off on it but then Glenn unfortunately. Became Ill so they could be just honoring a commitment. If they pulled out of this if it was indeed planned before Glenn became ill and he was actively doing the negotiations and left Don to finalize it, they could have faced a very big lawsuit .

So maybe they said we will do this and be done with it
    I believe no-one expected Glenn to pass away at the time he did though, so I can't imagine they'd have had that conversation specifically. And even if they did and Glenn did give his blessing, why was Don H. so insistent it was over in the weeks after his passing?

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I believe no-one expected Glenn to pass away at the time he did though, so I can't imagine they'd have had that conversation specifically. And even if they did and Glenn did give his blessing, why was Don H. so insistent it was over in the weeks after his passing?

Maybe it was still a period of mourning for him and a very emotional time. So maybe they told the Festivial Organizers hold off until we decide what we are doing.

He also said that him Joe and Timmothy were going to sit down and talk about what they were going to do about this festival thing.

Yes, Don Henley has every right to celebrate his birthday and I am sure it will be a fantastic concert. I had planned to go myself before all this; I was really excited about it.

I guess the reason I, and many other Eagles fans, are so upset:

"The Eagles" continuing without Glenn sends the message that he was not an essential part of the band; he was not - and is not - necessary.

And that is what I find so very disrespectful to his memory.

As I said before, I don't think Don is a bad person, nor do I believe Joe and Tim are. I believe they care deeply about Glenn. As Mary said, though, there are some things they consider more important.

That's why I must admit that in addition to my sadness I feel disappointment, resentment, and even some anger - not just at Don, but at Joe and Tim too. They could have said no (unless Joe and Tim were contractually obligated), but they couldn't resist the cash.

To me, the Eagles died with Glenn in January of 2016. My last memory of an Eagles show will be of the four of them, standing there and singing with the burning passion and fierce beauty that made me love them. Their voices forked lightning, as Dylan Thomas would say, and they lit the arena on fire. I will never forget what that was like.

I will not go to a show that bills itself as the Eagles when Glenn is not there. I don't blame those who want to go, but I won't be among them. Of course that won't affect their bottom line; my place will be taken by someone else. However, it's the end of an era for me.

I still have to sort out how I feel about seeing the other guys live solo. Like I said, I can't help but feel some anger and resentment. I have cancelled plans to see Don in Dallas because I'm so upset, but will that last forever? Have I seen my last Don Henley show, too? I hope not. I hate to think I'll never be able to enjoy him again when seeing him perform used to make me so happy. I'm also considering skipping Joe in Memphis, even though I've already bought the ticket. Perhaps with time I'll feel differently, when it's not so fresh, when it doesn't feel like Glenn dying all over again...

I never thought I would feel this way. I desperately hoped this would never happen. Now that it has, it feels even worse than I feared it would. However, it's the new reality and I have to make some hard choices about how I want to handle this board, my sites, everything.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Some people here seem to suggest that it's better that they continue performing without Glenn than to let the Eagles music die. Does this mean the Eagles music will die a few years from now, when they really can't play live anymore? So they only have a few more years to desperately keep the Eagles music alive? If so, I don't agree. (The) Eagles's musical legacy is big enough by now to survive without live performances by the band.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-30-2017 at 10:00 PM.

Like it or not this recent article in the New York Times makes a strong case for why many folks, myself included, can't help but see this as a veritable money grab not just by the the Eagles but everyone else associated with the event.

Three words: Supply and Demand.

In essence there is an undeniable demand for mega concerts and festivals that focus on fans of classic rock and Azoff happens to manage almost all the bands involved. It's a fate accompli. One ticket. 6 Bands. Baby boomer fans with money to throw down on expensive VIP packages, field seating, etc.

I'm content to sit this mega Eagles concert and any others like it out. If there is ever a benefit tribute concert for Glenn Frey I'll be there but I doubt it will happen which is truly a shame and shameful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/a...=fb-share&_r=0

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Like it or not this recent article in the New York Times makes a strong case for why many folks, myself included, can't help but see this as a veritable money grab not just by the the Eagles but everyone else associated with the event.

Three words: Supply and Demand.

In essence there is an undeniable demand for mega concerts and festivals that focus on fans of classic music and Azoff happens to manage almost all the bands involved. It's a fate accompli. One ticket. 6 Bands. Baby boomer fans with money to throw down on expensive VIP packages, field seating, etc.

I'm content to sit this mega Eagles concert and any others like it out. If there is ever a benefit tribute concert for Glenn Frey I'll be there but I doubt it will happen which is truly a shame and shameful.

I got a "page not found".

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I got a "page not found".
    Sorry about that I fixed it above.