Page 118 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1651

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    My biggest concern is that people will see this new version and decide it's the best ever. That Glenn will be dismissed as not having been that important or even holding them back. I know such views come from ignorance but history is often rewritten by the survivors (and that's been true of this band, too).
    The only realistic way this could happen on a significant scale is if the "new" Eagles released an album of the caliber of what came before it - and one that outsold previous efforts. I think the odds of that are fairly low.

Even if these guys spent the next five years putting on the BEST SHOW EVER!!!! consistently, better than anything the Eagles EVER did EVER!!!! And the majority of the people who saw it agreed it was the BEST SHOW EVER!!!!

Those shows are ephemeral, fade with time. And even seeing the BEST SHOW EVER!!!! will not really make a person think "Glenn was holding them back" when they play those old Eagles albums, methinks. The music is what lasts. I'm not too worried.

So, as I said earlier, I choose to just wait it out.

(Although there will definitely be some BEST SHOW EVER!!! people out there. SHOW OVER ALBUM!!! Taste is subjective. And if they do, well, that's their right. If they listen to One of These Nights and think "If only Vince Gill had been on this album, THEN it would have been so much better!" then so be it. There are people out there who think the Beatles suck. )

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I believe they were at their best back in the 1970s and I just need that time machine so I can see them. That would be Eagles 1.0 in 1973.

Stuck on the Border

Now I'm starting to get this vibe that when I say I hear nothing special in Vince Gill's rendition of "Lyin' eyes" (and nothing that makes it the Eagles) some people think I hate them for enjoying it. Looks like everyone is feeling they're in the minority and that they're hated for feeling how they feel.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Quote - UTW "My biggest concern is that people will see this new version and decide it's the best ever. That Glenn will be dismissed as not having been that important or even holding them back. I know such views come from ignorance but history is often rewritten by the survivors (and that's been true of this band, too)."
    UTW - I could not agree more with you regarding this. I have already read FB posts where people are saying this is the "best" version of the Eagles.
    Well, they have unpleasantly surprised me before, but I really doubt they will put out an Eagles album without Glenn, and with Vince Gill and Deacon Frey instead.

We don't even know for sure if they're full-fledged Eagles; everyone has been quite ambiguous about that. Let's face it, more Eagles equals more splitting of money and we all know how much they like to do that. They've been characterized both as joinng the Eagles and as special guests, so I guess it's joining-the-Eagles-sorta-but-not-really, which is awkward in an album scenario.

Plus, step back a bit. Facebook groups are not representative. Of the people who went to the show and are members of a Facebook group (a minority of the concert-goers), a minority of THAT minority think this is the best version ever.

Meanwhile, in the real world, the VAST majority of Eagles fans will never even hear what the new Eagles sound like.

Even if they record an album together, how many people will buy it? As many people as bought the Greatest Hits? As many people as bought HC? As many people as bought LROOE, even?

Nope. This is not the version of the Eagles that will be remembered, no matter what a small percentage of people on a Facebook group say. The idea that they could put out anything as world-changing as Hotel California is highly unlikely, to put mildly. You have nothing to worry about.

I would be dismayed by another album simply because it would be a lasting reminder of an act that is best forgotten.

Anyway, don't borrow trouble, as my mother would say.

This makes me sad as Glenn and his contribution are already being dismissed by some fans. If they ever make/come out with a new album, the blame will fall on Glenn that they never did anything after HFO to LROOE. I can just hear it now - "see he was the problem".
    Glenn haters. Again, they are not representative of your average fan.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Soda - Many thanks for putting things in perspective. I should not be such a "Debbie Downer". Not feeling well as I have a severe sinus infection. So, I apologize for my "downer" post.

Let me say I really enjoyed watching Deacon on all the videos Shun so kindly posted(TY again Shun). He is a very talented kid and should have a great future ahead of him in the music business. I wish nothing but the best for him. I also think Vince is exceptionally talented and I loved his salute to Glenn with his "Lone Arranger" t-shirt singing PEF after Glenn passed.

Chaim - I also felt that Vince's version of LE was not as good as Glenn's. But, IMHO, nobody but Glenn can do justice to that song. I also felt that SBR only sounded so-so. And, that is one of my all time favorite Eagles songs. Over all, I think they did a good job and they will probably even be better this weekend at the East Festival.

I guess one thing we can all agree on is that the Eagles were one of the best bands in history and I am proud to call myself one of their millions of fans.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 07-24-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Wasn't Don's reference to it possibly being their "last dance" in LA? Which allows scope for dancing in many other places so long as everyone's health holds up.
    When Don made that statement, he didn't have any certainty how the show would be received. It's possible that if the audience booed and/or the new critics panned the concert the next day, Irving's first task would have been to cancel the Seattle and Atlanta bookings. I'm just saying it's a possibility.

I'm still not comfortable with the new Eagles but I'm still interested.

My biggest concern is that people will see this new version and decide it's the best ever. That Glenn will be dismissed as not having been that important or even holding them back. I know such views come from ignorance but history is often rewritten by the survivors (and that's been true of this band, too).

As this version of the band will continue whatever we think, couldn't we just accept it and view it in the same way we might a solo project? A name is just a name. Actually, I prefer "Eagles" to "Henley, Walsh & Schmit" because it's more inclusive and allows the opportunity of acknowledging the contributions of those who are no longer with them.
    Good points, UTW!

I absolutely agree with what's been bolded. If they continue on for say, another 3-5 years, I would not like to hear, "Glenn was great but it's this Final 5 line-up that carried on the Eagles legacy and that's all that matters."

I also agree that using "Henley Walsh & Schmit" would not reflect the tremendous contributions Glenn made to the band. Even using the "Eagles" name isn't always enough to remind some folks of what the former members (Bernie, Randy and Don F) contributed.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Plus, step back a bit. Facebook groups are not representative. Of the people who went and are members of a Facebook group (a minority of them), a minority of THAT minority think they're the best version ever.

Meanwhile, in the real world, the VAST majority of Eagles fans will never even hear what the new Eagles sound like.

Anyway, don't borrow trouble, as my mother would say.

Glenn haters. Again, they are not representative of your average fan.
    Thanks for pointing this out. FB fan groups are going to be skewed in their opinions which is why I like to use other internet sites and forums to gauge public opinion. Even concert-goers make up a small slice of a band's fandom. However, I do think that if Mom/Dad/Grandma/Grandpa drag younger relatives to see the new Eagles, it will expose the band to a whole generation. And they will then seek out those classic records via Spotify or however.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I totally agree Delilah. My parents, aunts, and uncles love for the Eagles is what got me to love them too, but thankfully I got to see them reunite with HFO when I was 8. I'll always regret that I never saw them with Glenn (unless time travel does get invented) but I was very happy with how they did West and I will still for sure go. We don't know how much time we have left with Don, Joe, and Timothy so I wouldn't want to miss seeing them together (as I have seen Don and Joe solo now). Plus, I love Vince and have seen him twice already and really want to see Deacon now too. But it'll never compare to the original songs.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out. FB fan groups are going to be skewed in their opinions which is why I like to use other internet sites and forums to gauge public opinion. Even concert-goers make up a small slice of a band's fandom. However, I do think that if Mom/Dad/Grandma/Grandpa drag younger relatives to see the new Eagles, it will expose the band to a whole generation. And they will then seek out those classic records via Spotify or however.
    I don't think you can get an accurate tally of how the majority of Eagles fans feel one way or the other from social media or concerts. I would guess that a tremendous amount of their fans are in their mid fifties to early eighties. This age group often has little computer knowledge to care about Facebook , or the physical stamina required to attend stadium concerts.
    They are no less fans.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Banned

I sure hope a lot of people feel like this Eagles lineup is the best, because it's the first and only lineup a lot of people will ever experience. I was born in 1982 so I missed the original lineup and feel Frey-Henley-Walsh-Schmit is the best lineup even though many veterans probably don't share my view. I'm excited that the Eagles can continue to find a new and different audience 46 years after their genesis. If someone likes Henley-Walsh-Schmit-D. Frey-Gill better than any other lineup, who am I to begrudge that?