Page 117 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1651

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    If they don't, maybe we'd at least see a Classic SE in Atlanta. Brand new dome down there!!!
    I've read that Henley mentioned a show in Atlanta just yesterday, so you're in luck.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Like I said in the other threads if a full tour is coming, which sounds likely now, I will for sure go as long as it's at one of the Ohio locations or Pittsburgh.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    No.

Heartstrings were tugged, but I knew they would be. I completely understand why watching videos of Deacon doing his father's music (and doing a good job of it) was enough to win lots of people here over completely. Emotion is a powerful thing.

But my objection to the band using the name "Eagles" never had anything to do with whether or not Deacon was a part of this band.

It never had anything to do with whether or not they'd say "This is for you Glenn", or "I'm sure Glenn is here with us", etc., or whether or not they'd dedicate a song to him, or how many Glenn songs they'd have Deacon and Vince Gill sing, or how many times they'd bring him up.

I fully expected them to do all of that. I was only surprised that they asked Deacon to do more songs than Tim, and at the way he looked.

My objection had to do with one thing and one thing only: Glenn is fundamental to the Eagles not only in heart but in sound. If he's not there, the band cannot legitimately call themselves the Eagles any longer.

To me, when I watch a video from the Classic showing Vince Gill singing "New Kid in Town", I feel like I'm watching a cover version that happens to have the former Eagles playing on it.

If you guys watched that and saw the Eagles, more power to you.

And when I watch a video of Deacon doing "Peaceful Easy Feeling", I don't see the Eagles, either. I see a young man paying tribute to his father with his father's former bandmates, and it's not the same thing.

If you guys watched that and saw the Eagles, with the tribute aspect only secondary, more power to you.

Glenn co-founded the Eagles; he's an essential part of their sound. Deacon doesn't sound like Glenn - nor should he be expected to mimic Glenn - and Vince Gill sure as hell doesn't sound like Glenn or bring what he brought to the table. I know, Vince Gill brings other things to the table because it's different now, the new Eagles. See, that's the problem.

You say, "It's the new lineup of the Eagles without Glenn." I say, "It's not the Eagles without Glenn." And there's how we differ.

Again, though, that's just me, and the only reason I'm even saying anything at all at this point is because I was asked.

It's over.
    Soda, this is exactly how I feel. I couldn't have put it better myself.

I was watching the Farewell I tour DVD this week and for the first time, I watched through the end of the credits. I didn't realize there was a blooper reel of sorts as the credits rolled. Glenn said, in jest, that the Eagles would continue forever and they would have the Reincarnation I tour. In light of the performances with Deacon and a recent article speculating that Will Henley will one day fill in for his dad, I didn't find this funny. A band with Deacon, Will Henley, and possibly Joe and Tim's sons is not the Eagles. It's a cover band. It had to end sometime and for me, it's already over. Having Deacon there, trying to look like his dad, is meant to pull at our heartstrings, but it doesn't mean Glenn is still with us - for the fans or the band. They're done.

WARNING: The following post is Negative Nancy time! Skip to the next post for happy thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    WF - I think we all suspected that. Just like when he said last week that the W/E "might" be their last. I laughed when I heard that one on one of the videos. I knew that would never be - too much money to be made.
    Honestly, I was surprised he said that. There's no way he couldn't have known more shows were already scheduled at that point with Classic NW announced just a week later. The only explanation: hoping more people would buy tickets for Classic East if they thought it might be their last chance to see the "Eagles." In that light, it was a very shrewd move on Don's part. I bet there were more than a few people who bought tickets because they trusted what he said.

When it came up on my FB page this morning most of the comments were positive, wondering if/when they would do a "real" tour and come to a city near them.
    I bet this only the beginning of the "new" Eagles.
    You're right. The market is there for the Eagles brand. Call it "Henley, Walsh, and Schmit" and watch the sales plummet.... even if you add Vince Gill and Deacon Frey. I read Don's recent interview. Don Henley said the fans are clamoring for more. I'm sure that's true. However, it seems those fans will only show up if the marquee reads EAGLES. Henley, Walsh, and Schmit? Those clamoring fans are Not Interested.

Oh well. In the end, this, too, shall pass. Even this husk of the Eagles can't drag itself along for more than a couple years; Henley himself admits that.

So, let's put it in perspective. Ten, twenty, thirty years from now, this bit of time will simply be recorded as the feeble last gasp of a great band, that bit that gets half a sentence at the end of an article, that gets a 20 second mention (if any) at the end of documentaries, that bit that eventually gets forgotten entirely by just about everybody.... Because the band that made history, the band that changed the world, is not the band that's on that stage.

What's important is that no matter what happens now, nothing will change the fact that this band was the one of the best rock bands in history. That will always be true; that's set in stone forever, and that's what I'm trying to focus on.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Positive Nancy Time

Regardless of my personal feelings, I recognize that a lot of you guys are totally into this and I get that. I'm happy for you because it looks like you are going to have a lot of opportunities to go to shows in the future.

Just shake your head and move along when you see any posts I make about this; don't even bother to read 'em. They'll just bring you down. Get back to planning all your fun times ahead.

Banned

No, 30 years from now they'll all be dead and none of this will matter anyway. It's difficult to believe that at a time when the band needs support the most that many are turning their back on them. Why are we putting stock in how this will be recorded by history? I can't imagine caring less about anything in the world. The Eagles have gracefully and appropriately answered every possible criticism against them and many still refuse to give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't maintain my Eagles fandom because I'm concerned about external impressions, I mantain it because the only people who could possibly come close to filling the emotional void left by Glenn Frey are Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit. It's ridiculous to give up on a lifelong relationship because they have the nerve to use six letters when referring to themselves instead of 17. Classic West was one of the most powerful nights of my life, an experience I will hold dear in 30 years when critics and history will remain irrelevant to their legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Positive Nancy Time

Regardless of my personal feelings, I recognize that a lot of you guys are totally into this and I get that. I'm happy for you because it looks like you are going to have a lot of opportunities to go to shows in the future.

Just shake your head and move along when you see my posts about this; don't even bother to read 'em. Get back to planning all your fun times ahead.
    I hope you're right, Soda. Everytime I come on this board, I feel like the minority. I try to ignore the negative vibe and replies here, but its so hard. I usually don't post in this thread and when I come to this thread all I do is come out of there angry and scared to post anything.

I really hope some of you who don't approve of this are not looking down on us who are happy to see them continue because the half the time that's what I'm feeling.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Aren't perceptions interesting, shun? I distinctly feel like I'm in the minority position.

However, I choose not to complain about that, and I certainly think it's a bad idea to become angry that people have a different opinion. People have every right to their opinion. That includes you!

I assure you that I am not looking down on you for yours.

Stuck on the Border

Wasn't Don's reference to it possibly being their "last dance" in LA? Which allows scope for dancing in many other places so long as everyone's health holds up.

Soda's right in that whatever happens now can't take away from what has already happened and those that don't like the new direction can look back at the catalogue.

I'm still not comfortable with the new Eagles but I'm still interested.

My biggest concern is that people will see this new version and decide it's the best ever. That Glenn will be dismissed as not having been that important or even holding them back. I know such views come from ignorance but history is often rewritten by the survivors (and that's been true of this band, too).

As this version of the band will continue whatever we think, couldn't we just accept it and view it in the same way we might a solo project? A name is just a name. Actually, I prefer "Eagles" to "Henley, Walsh & Schmit" because it's more inclusive and allows the opportunity of acknowledging the contributions of those who are no longer with them.

Stuck on the Border

Soda - You know I feel the same as you. However, I realize I am in the minority here - no big deal, everyone has a right to feel however they wish without feeling they have to justify their feelings.

To Shun and all those who want to go see the guys - go and have a great time! It looked like they put on a wonderful show last week and I would expect the same this weekend. We all know they will not be touring much longer, so if you can afford it and they are in/near where you live go.
    Shun - Please don't feel that way - I so appreciate everything you do for us - all the videos you post and articles etc. I hope you, Buffy and everyone else get to see the guys if/when they play near you.

Quote - UTW "My biggest concern is that people will see this new version and decide it's the best ever. That Glenn will be dismissed as not having been that important or even holding them back. I know such views come from ignorance but history is often rewritten by the survivors (and that's been true of this band, too)."
    UTW - I could not agree more with you regarding this. I have already read FB posts where people are saying this is the "best" version of the Eagles. This makes me sad as Glenn and his contribution are already being dismissed by some fans. If they ever make/come out with a new album, the blame will fall on Glenn that they never did anything after HFO to LROOE. I can just hear it now - "see he was the problem". While Glenn never stopped praising Don and his musical abilities, I have rarely read/ heard of any from Don praising Glenn(I do not count the press release from Don after Glenn passed). I am not knocking Don. I think he may have taken for granted how much Glenn meant/did for the band. Kind of like you don't appreciate what you have until they are no longer there. Anyway, this is just my opinion and I don't expect most people to agree with me but that's fine.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 07-24-2017 at 02:22 PM.