Page 115 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125165 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1651

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Now that we've some idea of how the Classic West line-up, has anyone changed their mind?

My worst fears were not realised. There was no sign that anyone involved is ready to forget Glenn and pretend he never existed. It didn't end up as Don Henley and Friends - songs and MC duties were shared around. I had a few last minute concerns when I read that some of Henley's solo band taking part but it turned out they were to play violin on "The Last Resort" and a few accents to other songs. I had also wondered if Deacon would be just a token presence, brought in to sing one or two songs as a sop, so I was heartened to see him so well-integrated, playing guitar and singing harmonies throughout. Clearly, he's not his father but while he is up front on stage, noone is going to forget Glenn.

I've heard members of other bands speak about how continuing to play after the death of another member is a healing process and I feel I saw some of that.

I'm happy with these Classic shows but I still have doubts about what might come after. However, I've been reassured a little that it will be done in a respectful way.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Now that we've some idea of how the Classic West line-up, has anyone changed their mind?

My worst fears were not realised. There was no sign that anyone involved is ready to forget Glenn and pretend he never existed. It didn't end up as Don Henley and Friends - songs and MC duties were shared around. I had a few last minute concerns when I read that some of Henley's solo band taking part but it turned out they were to play violin on "The Last Resort" and a few accents to other songs. I had also wondered if Deacon would be just a token presence, brought in to sing one or two songs as a sop, so I was heartened to see him so well-integrated, playing guitar and singing harmonies throughout. Clearly, he's not his father but while he is up front on stage, noone is going to forget Glenn.

I've heard members of other bands speak about how continuing to play after the death of another member is a healing process and I feel I saw some of that.

I'm happy with these Classic shows but I still have doubts about what might come after. However, I've been reassured a little that it will be done in a respectful way.
    Well said, UTW. I think my feelings about this have been like Don's. I started out very opposed to it, but later became glad that they would go on, because I love these guys. As I've said before, I wish they wouldn't use the Eagles name, but I understand why they are doing it.

I hope those opposed to it will at least watch some of the videos (if there are any still available), particularly those of Deacon and the words of Joe and Don. A lot of people have been wanting a Glenn Frey tribute, and make no mistake about it, this concert was a tribute to Glenn Frey. I had tears in my eyes more than once.

Do I think that this group is as talented as the Eagles with Glenn? No, probably not. But it's respectable and respectful to his memory and a lot of fun to watch!

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I feel the same as MaryC. I too was against it at first, but then accepted it and was very happy with how it really was done. It's like a lot of things at first that you worry about and turns out to be a lot better. They did a great job and was so respectful to Glenn. It seemed too like a public memorial that we all were hoping they would do. Deacon did such a great job and they had a lot of fun.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

No, my thoughts and feelings have not changed.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    No, my thoughts and feelings have not changed.
    Have you watched any of it?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yes, my mind has been changed. UtW and maryc expressed my thoughts better than I can!

I'm not interested in seeing them myself, but I can see that they haven't forgotten Glenn and I wish them success if they do decide to continue.

I do wish they would change the name somewhat (Eagles and Friends or whatever). I also think they will have to use "Eagles" somehow to be as successful as possible. Obviously, Glenn's family is ok with it.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

No.

Heartstrings were tugged, but I knew they would be. I completely understand why watching videos of Deacon doing his father's music (and doing a good job of it) was enough to win lots of people here over completely. Emotion is a powerful thing.

But my objection to the band using the name "Eagles" never had anything to do with whether or not Deacon was a part of this band.

It never had anything to do with whether or not they'd say "This is for you Glenn", or "I'm sure Glenn is here with us", etc., or whether or not they'd dedicate a song to him, or how many Glenn songs they'd have Deacon and Vince Gill sing, or how many times they'd bring him up.

I fully expected them to do all of that. I was only surprised that they asked Deacon to do more songs than Tim, and at the way he looked.

My objection had to do with one thing and one thing only: Glenn is fundamental to the Eagles not only in heart but in sound. If he's not there, the band cannot legitimately call themselves the Eagles any longer.

To me, when I watch a video from the Classic showing Vince Gill singing "New Kid in Town", I feel like I'm watching a cover version that happens to have the former Eagles playing on it.

If you guys watched that and saw the Eagles, more power to you.

And when I watch a video of Deacon doing "Peaceful Easy Feeling", I don't see the Eagles, either. I see a young man paying tribute to his father with his father's former bandmates, and it's not the same thing.

If you guys watched that and saw the Eagles, with the tribute aspect only secondary, more power to you.

Glenn co-founded the Eagles; he's an essential part of their sound. Deacon doesn't sound like Glenn - nor should he be expected to mimic Glenn - and Vince Gill sure as hell doesn't sound like Glenn or bring what he brought to the table. I know, Vince Gill brings other things to the table because it's different now, the new Eagles. See, that's the problem.

You say, "It's the new lineup of the Eagles without Glenn." I say, "It's not the Eagles without Glenn." And there's how we differ.

Again, though, that's just me, and the only reason I'm even saying anything at all at this point is because I was asked.

It's over.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Rebel

I think I feel somewhat better about it all after seeing most of the youtube videos. However, I would never go to an Eagles show without Glenn in it and as much as he may look like Glenn when he was younger, Deacon sounds NOTHING like him. He did a respectable job singing the songs he handled lead vocals on, but because he is Glenn's son didn't make me think that it gave more relevance to the performances. However, on a purely emotional level, I get it. There were times I felt misty eyed watching some of these songs being played...maybe call it nostalgia for something that just won't happen again, but it was a genuine sadness.

I think I would be more interested to see what happens with the band once the Classic East show is over. Where do they go from here?

No. I knew Glenn would be remembered and his legacy respected. I knew it wasn't going to be the same; how could it? But I also knew there's still plenty of talent left in the remaining Eagles and they were still capable of putting on a good show even if it didn't live up to past ones.

It was disappointing that Bernie wasn't there, although I figured that was a long shot. I was also hoping someone would perform a solo song or two of Glenn's as part of the tribute.

With the absence of Glenn and all the extra personnel, it's understandable how some fans believe they shouldn't call themselves "Eagles"; it does seem in a way like they are holding onto that name by a thread. I didn't really see it until I watched the videos. I'm not saying they shouldn't use the name--they have the right to--just that it doesn't seem to fit as much, if that makes any sense. I guess I did change my mind just a bit about that.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    I think I feel somewhat better about it all after seeing most of the youtube videos. However, I would never go to an Eagles show without Glenn in it and as much as he may look like Glenn when he was younger, Deacon sounds NOTHING like him. He did a respectable job singing the songs he handled lead vocals on, but because he is Glenn's son didn't make me think that it gave more relevance to the performances. However, on a purely emotional level, I get it. There were times I felt misty eyed watching some of these songs being played...maybe call it nostalgia for something that just won't happen again, but it was a genuine sadness.

I think I would be more interested to see what happens with the band once the Classic East show is over. Where do they go from here?
    Yes, that's close to how I feel.

I think the emotion was a big part of what made the Classic West performance work, and why it was so well received. I'm not sure it would carry over into an extended tour.

I was probably done with seeing "Eagles" live after just two HotE performances (which makes me a lightweight, I know) but I'd have travelled to see a Glenn Frey solo show.