Page 110 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1651

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Rolling Stone December 2015
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...again-20151219

(Excerpt)

"Although Bonham believes a Led Zeppelin reunion will happen, Plant didn't share his optimism in a 2014 interview with Rolling Stone. "You're going back to the same old shit," Plant said. "A tour would have been an absolute menagerie of vested interests and the very essence of everything that's shitty about big-time stadium rock. We were surrounded by a circus of people that would have had our souls on the fire. I'm not part of a jukebox."

---------------------

Rolling Stone May 2014

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...kebox-20140508

(excerpt)

"Plant stands up to leave, but turns on his heel. "Do you know why the Eagles said they’d reunite when 'hell freezes over,' but they did it anyway and keep touring?” he asks. "It’s not because they were paid a fortune. It’s not about the money. It’s because they’re bored. I’m not bored"
    Last edited by Dawn; 06-22-2017 at 03:16 AM.

Red face Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Rolling Stone December 2015
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...again-20151219

(Excerpt)

"Although Bonham believes a Led Zeppelin reunion will happen, Plant didn't share his optimism in a 2014 interview with Rolling Stone. "You're going back to the same old shit," Plant said. "A tour would have been an absolute menagerie of vested interests and the very essence of everything that's shitty about big-time stadium rock. We were surrounded by a circus of people that would have had our souls on the fire. I'm not part of a jukebox."

---------------------

Rolling Stone May 2014

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...kebox-20140508

(excerpt)

"Plant stands up to leave, but turns on his heel. "Do you know why the Eagles said they’d reunite when 'hell freezes over,' but they did it anyway and keep touring?” he asks. "It’s not because they were paid a fortune. It’s not about the money. It’s because they’re bored. I’m not bored"

He clearly was not bored in 2007

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ricke-20071211

Or in 1985 (Yes I know that went badly but my point still stands).

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-live-aid/

Also in 1988
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-z...h-anniversary/

Not to mention at the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame in 1995

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1aFqjP1iuzY

Plant clearly was Bored enough to play only at thoes specific times. Plant said Zepplin would never play again after John Bohnams death. Well looks like he alsp changed his mind. Also I said they never got any flak from the FANS

Stuck on the Border

I've been watching Brian Johnson's "A Life on the Road". Each episode has Brian having a chat with a different rock musician, along with a bit of band history and comments from others such as roadies. The first chat was with Roger Daltrey and the second with Lars Ulrich. Of course, the subject of continuing after a band member dies has come up.

What Roger had to say was that although the replacements don't sound the same, when he's on stage and the music starts, it feels like Keith Moon and Jon Entwistle are with them. There was also talk about the high that comes from playing in front of a large crowd.

Metallica barely paused after the death of their bassist but Lars Ulrich said they were very young when it happened and he might have felt differently if it had happened later. There was mention of continuing to tour being healing.

For me, the chats are interesting because I get a sense of how important performing is to these men and how it has been part of their lives for decades.

Finally, there was a review of Chicago and The Doobie Brothers that discussed these bands continuing to tour with replacements. The reviewer came to this conclusion:
    So, in the end, so what if the 2017 Chicago isn’t the one you remember (even if you weren’t there) from 1967, 1987 or even 2007. So what if the Doobie Brothers didn’t have Michael McDonald also in tow. The fact is, as classic rockers age and newer generations come to the music, it’s the music that survives. But tonight, it also thrived.
    http://www.houstonpress.com/music/ch...8-2017-9537869

(Despite all the above, I still don't like the idea of Eagles-without-Glenn but I can see why it's attractive for some)

When Slash and Duff Mckagan left Guns N Roses in 96 and 97 people said. GNR broke up or its not GNR without Slash. Well Axl kept going with the members that were left at the time who were Dizzy Reed who joined in 90 and Paul Tobais to work up a new band with Robin Finck of Nine Inch Nails, Brain Mantia of Primus, Tommy Stinson of the Replacements, Buckethead and Chris Pitman. They worked their asses off for 23 years albeit with some changes Richard Fortus(Who is the guitarist that is in very high demand and well respected in the industry even Slash wanted him for his solo band) replacing Paul, Frank Ferrar replacing Brain, DJ Ashba replacing Robin Finck amd Ron Thal replacing Buckethead. But all these guys werent random people pulled off the street. These guys were friends and collaborators. So they chugged on from 1996 to 2015 playing sold out stadiums and arenas across the world and with some difficulty realasing an Album that is a natural evolution from Use Your Illusion 1 and 2. So because of their hard work and dedicstion when Slash and Duff returned last year Guns N Roses is selling out stadiums and making 200 million anleg. Axl is also the new singer of ACDC. You know why its because Axl and GNR kept on going and saying screw you to the critics. But they were attached as p some former and current memebrs which is understandable. But if Axl said screw it and did not contiune GNR which was his band as he founded it. GNR would not be having the sucess they have had over the past year

So of the current lineup Richard Fortus and Frank Ferrar have worked their butts off for 15 and 11 years respectively and thats why bands should continue within reason

What the people want is to see Zeppelin in its glory. But its true glory exists somewhere else now. As Cross says, “They survive on those albums, concert bootlegs, and only in memory, the one band that still stands untarnished by compromise.”

Why Robert Plant Still Refuses to be a Prisoner of Success

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robasgh.../#73b393293849

----------

"So kudos to Robert Plant for being one of the first people in rock to simply accept his legacy, and his already large bank account, and avoid a nostalgia trip.”

What the people want is to see Zeppelin in its glory. But its true glory exists somewhere else now. As Cross says, “They survive on those albums, concert bootlegs, and only in memory, the one band that still stands untarnished by compromise.”

Why Robert Plant Still Refuses to be a Prisoner of Success

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robasgh.../#73b393293849

----------

"So kudos to Robert Plant for being one of the first people in rock to simply accept his legacy, and his already large bank account, and avoid a nostalgia trip.”
    Well I for 4 words for you. Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert.

Also known as Celebration Day

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vyqU6aTvCsE

Banned

the one band that still stands untarnished by compromise.”
    Who's that, U2?

I respect all the acts that did Live Aid, apart from Bob 'let's divert some of the aid money to American farmers' Dylan.

What's so great about an untarnished legacy anyway

I guess I feel the need to clarify something.

I have no ill will towards Vince Gill (or Deacon, but lets focus on Vince for a sec). I think he's a masterful musician and highly respected for his voice and guitar playing. I'm not much on classic country but I'll be the first to say he's great.

It wouldn't have mattered WHO they put in that "chair", I would feel the same no matter who signed on. I like Vince, he seems like a nice guy but if I want to see or hear Vince, I'll listen to a CD or see him live. If I want to hear the Eagles I'll listen to a CD, or in the past with Glenn performing, see them in concert. To me it's just such a basic realization but obviously not everyone will think the same.

So I certainly don't mean disrespect towards Vince. He seems like the nicest person on earth. We disagree about continuing the Eagles and the need for those songs to be played live to stay relevant. But that's not a beef with him. That's water under the bridge with me. Not mad at him certainly. Just disagreeing.

As far as Deacon, I certainly wouldn't wish ill on Glenn's son. This has nothing to do with him. Much like with Vince, for me it wouldn't have mattered who they picked to attempt to replace Glenn or sing in his spot. I DO hope that this "gig" puts him in a broader light and helps him start his own music career and hopefully legacy as well. I certainly would buy his music without thinking twice and/or see him live if he came around my area. Even though it's in the family, it just isn't the same for me. It just isn't. Especially under the "Eagles" moniker.

I'm disappointed in Don, and I can understand Don fans must feel very uncomfortable here and that's very unfortunate and I mean that in the most sincere way possible. If the reverse had happened, I'm sure some of you might be cool with Glenn continuing, and some maybe not (like me). When favorite members and favorite bands get involved, things can get very hasty. I certainly have seen that over the years not just here but on other forums and certainly social media. It happens. I'm not mad at Don, I don't hate Don, etc. Disappointed is still something, I get that, but I guess I ask for your forgiveness with that. Mad is a word I reserve for Irving Azoff, who I do admittedly dislike very much. I feel he messed up big time. I guess I can only speak for myself when I say I'm sorry that if it seems we are dogpiling on Don. I certainly also wish him no ill. Glenn's death and the events thereafter have very sadly but not surprisingly (in my mind) drove a wedge between all of us here and certainly some of those bridges are irreparable. Again, I see it from both sides but ultimately I have to go with what I feel in my heart/gut and that is to say I don't support Don, Joe, and Timothy continuing in any form with another singer (or two in this case) as the Eagles.

I'd still go see Don in a heartbeat if he came to one of the venues I go to. I will also continue buying his music. I'm not mad at them as to boycott Don/Joe/TBS shows, though if some do, I don't hold it against them. Me personally, I would love to see Don live as he is my favorite voice and lyricist of the Eagles. But Glenn was just as important, and he was the vision and the bandleader. The arranger. And another voice that was just as important to the music of the Eagles. A part too big to replace, as it would be for Don Henley. No Glenn = No Eagles. No Don = No Eagles. Simple as that, for me personally. To each their own and I respect your choices. For me, that's it in a nutshell. I can't go against what I feel is right.

I thank Dreamer again for moving the Beatles comparison comments over here so those who wish to view East and West in a positive light can continue to do so.

That's all for now.

Stuck on the Border

WalshFan - Thank You for expressing exactly how I feel. I could not have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    WalshFan - Thank You for expressing exactly how I feel. I could not have said it better.
    Glad to know I'm not alone!