Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dislike Music Outside of the 60s and 70s?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dislike Music Outside of the 60s and 70s?

I was talking somewhere else, naming my favorite bands and artists, and someone responded with a patronizing "You probably like that stuff because YOUTH is good".

I'm 34, and 99% of what I love (music, movies, stand-up comedy) was created before I was born. And that 1% with music is the stuff recorded by bands/artists that started in the 60s and 70s.

Default Re: Dislike Music Outside of the 60s and 70s?

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    I was talking somewhere else, naming my favorite bands and artists, and someone responded with a patronizing "You probably like that stuff because YOUTH is good".
    What does that mean?

This person assumed I was much older than I was, and that I was just reminiscing.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

To quote Morrissey, "Not everyone is intelligent." Meaning not everyone who criticizes you even knows what the hell they're talking about

They dismiss it as nostalgia because they likely don't have any taste in music and just accept what the media conglomerates dish out. Or if your critic is a hipster, what the cognoscenti deems au courant.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    To quote Morrissey, "Not everyone is intelligent." Meaning not everyone who criticizes you even knows what the hell they're talking about

They dismiss it as nostalgia because they likely don't have any taste in music and just accept what the media conglomerates dish out. Or if your critic is a hipster, what the cognoscenti deems au courant.
    You're so "right on."

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

I think there is something to be said for the theory that when you're in the teens and in your twenties at your most emotionally vulnerable, the music you hear gets connected to your life in a way that doesn't occur with the generation before you... and that kind of intense life connection doesn't occur as much as you reach middle age and beyond. Thus, the vast majority of each generation will almost inevitably claim that music started to go downhill right after they left behind their youth.

I was a teen in the late 80s/early 90s, and when everyone hates on 80s and 90s music, I think of all those songs I connected with when I was young and how big a part of my life they were. To this day, I know the lyrics to just about every hit of that time period, even the ones from earlier in the 80s that were still playing on the radio when I was coming of age.

While the bands I am most passionate about (BY FAR) are the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, I know many more of the songs played on 80s and 90s stations than I do the ones played on the 60s and 70s stations. Thus, I find myself enjoying the music of those stations more...

... and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I have friends who keep saying "Dude, you gotta listen to new music?" - and when I ask why, they have no answer... First off, I've heard plenty being in someone else' car, television, movie, etc... Didn't move me, for many reasons. But most importantly, why would I deprive myself of pleasure?

Only music I like out of the 60s and 70s range is Gary Clark Jr and GNR .

My friend listens to Ed Sheran amd John Mayer who I like to call Corprate Rock

Stuck on the Border

I'll have to make it clear that I'm not referring to the original poster now, but it seems to me that when people say "they don't make good music these days", it usually means "I don't hear new songs I like in the radio station I listen to in my car". I don't listen to radio, but when I hear it somewhere a lot of the music doesn't move me (some of it does, like Hozier's "Take me to church"). But I do hear rather new music all the time - music that is not played in these radio stations - that I love. (And when I say a lot of the new music I hear on the radio doesn't move me, the same goes for music from the 70's.)

Most of what I listen to are old bands/artists, but it's more a question of habit than musical preference. I have this fixation with "the old", and it doesn't mean that it's better. I love Soundgarden now, but it took me a few years to fall in love with them. I didn't get Guns'n'Roses when I first heard them, but now I love them.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

My main musical interest is hard rock / heavy metal, with Metallica being my favorite group. I love a great deal of music from the 70's, and The Eagles are one of my favorite groups. I also enjoy some country and rap music as well. I leave myself open to experiencing all genres of music. I remember freaking out some folks at a Don Henley concert once because I was wearing my Slayer shirt with all my tattoos and piercings and singing along to all of his songs. Lol.