Thread: United States-Should the drinking age be 18 again?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default United States-Should the drinking age be 18 again?

My opinon is that.

Here are things we are allowed to do at 16/18

Drive a car.
    Vote
    Buy Marriguana(Where Legal )
    Buy Lottery Tickets.
    Join the Military
    Get A Job
    Buy Cigaretts.(Not actually doing this myself)

So like we are allowed to join the millitary and even die for the country but not allowed to drink Alcholol?
    Now my father is from Italy and in Europe threy have no Drinking limit and Imo it allows parents to educate children when they are young and kids my age wont be currious and do something stupid. Its called the Forbidden fruit syndrome

Default Re: United States-Should the drinking age be 18 again?

I'm actually with you on this TM2. And I have no dog in this fight (I'm already over 21 and don't drink but once a year or so)...so I have nothing to gain by saying I think drinking age should be 18, or everything at 21. I don't understand why someone at 18 can do all of the things you suggested but can't drink.

And again, I really don't have anything to gain by wishing for it but I do wonder about that now and again.

I am sure some of your favorite Eagles did some underage drinking

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    I am sure some of your favorite Eagles did some underage drinking
    Ya think! lol

I have nothing against alcohol if done responsibly (meaning no harm to others, and no drunk driving and no acting out in the open in public.

I'm all for the drinking age being 18. Just so you know, I'm with you on that.

In several states, there's an outright ban on alcohol consumption under 18, but in most other states, you just can't purchase it if under 21. You can drink at home under 21, and personally, I don't think it's good. However, you're at home, so you're hopefully not going to go anywhere. If you're out and about drinking, then I don't think being under 21 is good.

The brain is still developing at 18 years old, so I don't think alcohol or marijuana really helps it at all. I think it stunts it to an extent but more so w/ marijuana's long term effects. The part of the brain that's affected is the prefrontal cortex, which is where you may or may not make impulsive decisions. Alcohol is bad for that, since people can do dumb things that they don't normally do under the influence.

I'm 18 years old, and I haven't consumed a serving of alcohol. I've taken small tastes and I don't really like it. Although it sounds like I'm a stickler for it, I don't mind as long as it's an occasional drink. However, I don't trust people my age to make it a once in a while thing, and I wouldn't want them to be more susceptible to abusing it. Then again, there are those who are doing god knows what at college. It would affect those like me who aren't that inclined to drink in the first place, since the barrier has been lowered and we might start earlier than 21. For those who want to, the age doesn't matter, since they're going to do it anyways. Let's face it, teenagers and those slightly younger than 21 do drink.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

In Ireland its 18. Although officially illegal many kids do manage to procure alcohol and drink it if they want to. Its illegal to drink in public bars before 18 but in the privacy of your own home its at the discretion of your parents/guardians. You can be carded up to about age 25. I was amazed I was carded in Albuquerque during the summer!! Lets say i'm the wrong side of 40 and I had 2 teenage kids with me!

I think 18 is a reasonable age. 16 might be too young but if you are legally an adult at 18 (ie you can sign stuff in your own name, take a mortgage, be drafted and really qualify as an adult in everything else) I think its unreasonable to have to be 21 to be able to drink. JMHO!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP