We were doing a few Christmas songs in guitar class tonight, and I was just wondering if you guys have a favourite Christmas song or Christmas carol. Or perhaps one with a particular significance or story attached to it that they'd like to share. If so let us know.

For the record, my favourite song is the 'Fairytale of New York' by The Pogues and Kirsty McColl. I just love the rhythms, the way the different sections of the song are sung at different tempo's and the earlier sentiments of the song
"You're handsome, you're pretty, Queen of NY city"
"This Years for me and You"
"I can see a better time when all our dreams come true"
to mention a few

And the chorus is very uplifting. You can see the NYPD choir singing and nearly hear the bells.

It was also one a lot of Irish people could relate to at the time. It was a very cold winter that year
"The wind goes right through you..."
And also a time when there was a deep recession. Emigration (to the States) was high and people could relate to the hope of a better time when all their dreams came true.

Its also poignant in that Kirsty McColl is no longer with us.

My favourite carol is 'Oh Holy Night'. Quite simply I remember it being sung at Christmas church and carol services from a time when I was very young and anytime I hear it it brings back all that old magic and helps remind me of what Christmas is about.

But they're just mine! I'm dying to hear everyone elses. Hope I didn't bore anyone!