Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No More Walks in the Wood

I remember my music teacher once telling me that the evidence of a very good harmony singer was when you had a hard time distinguishing them in the group. That's one thing I notice about the Eagles....sometimes I can pick them out....but a lot of times they're so smooth that is really difficult. This usually happens with Don or Glenn for me. Very impressive!

That's exactly what I mean scottside - thanks.

FP - I don't think you have to be a musician to judge structure, but if it makes you feel any better, I did play violin for seven years back in school, took piano for two years as a kid, and sung in the church choir for 12 years.

scottside, I think Glenn is more difficult to hear than Tim and Don in the harmonies - maybe because Tim is high end? - but I can hear him in the parts FP identifies. With WITW, it took several listens before I was able to discern him at the end segment. I also hear Don doubling on some parts. I think this is just another symptom of them doing so much work individually and in separate studios.

The exception is Fast Company, where Glenn's harmony dominates the chorus to the degree that it can almost pass for a shared lead.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

You see - this is the funny thing. I don't think Glenn's voice is that dominant in Fast Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    You see - this is the funny thing. I don't think Glenn's voice is that dominant in Fast Company.
    Just on the chorus.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I agree that Glenn's voice is very dominant in the chorus, but I think he's heard pretty often on the verses as well

Stuck on the Border

I think he's easier to hear in the verses than he is in the chorus.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    While the song's harmonies are beautiful, it's not my favorite melodically. It reminds me of some of the doxology-type songs we would sing in church, where we would try to make Bible verses that weren't intended to be sung into songs and it got a bit awkward with the melody.
    This is exactly the way I feel about No More Walks in the Wood. While the harmonies are very beautiful, somehow the melody just doesn't grab me the same way Seven Bridges Road does. While I love the concept of starting the album with the song, I am somewhat disappointed in the song for these reasons.

As far as Glenn's harmonies on the album, I really don't think they are lost, although I agree that they are not predominant in some of the songs. However, I can hear him clearly in both the verses and chorus in NMWINW.

As far as Fast Company, I remember telling Soda when this song first came out on the F1 bonus CD that I considered it a shared lead vocal between Don and Glenn because of the dominance of Glenn's voice in the chorus.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm a bit late on responding to this topic (mostly because I've only had the album for two weeks ), but I've been very interested to read the opinions here, and particularly about Glenn's harmonies apparently being drowned in the mix of the songs.

It's amazing, actually, as before I saw this topic, I'd been thinking the same thing when listening to songs like "Waiting In The Weeds". It initially sounds like only Don and Timothy singing together, but towards the end, Glenn's voice becomes audible to me. I think Glenn only starts singing towards the end, in my opinion.

I could be wrong, but I do think that modern technology has a lot to do with this. When I listen to The Eagles' '70s recordings, the different voices are easily distinguishable on all songs. LROOE sounds more "produced", for want of a better word, than any of their previous albums, simply for the reason that technology has improved so dramatically over the years, and particularly within the last 10 years or so. Perhaps it is the way the boys intended the harmonies to sound. I would like to hear more of Glenn's voice, though. When he joins Don in the chorus of "Fast Company", it's thrilling to me. He has an amazing range, but when he sings in the lower register, it has an incredible effect on my ears (and my heart ).

As for "No More Walks In The Wood", the harmonies are fabulous and Beatlesque - it reminds me of "Because" from the "Abbey Road" album every time I hear it. I particularly love this lyric:

No more walks in the wood
    This is the aftermath
    Of afternoons in the clover fields
    Where we once made love

So romantic . I have no issues with the melody - it's unusual, stunning and poignant. I particularly enjoyed listening to the boys sing it without technology playing a role in the "60 Minutes" segment. I just gasped and thought: these guys can really sing. Just stunning. And I could distinguish all four voices, too.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Stuck on the Border

I don't understand why Glenn would only sing towards the end of WITW. That is certainly the impression that I get, but why?

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I don't understand why Glenn would only sing towards the end of WITW. That is certainly the impression that I get, but why?
    I think as a band, the Eagles agreed that they'd all sing on every song. Glenn was probably only around minimally in the recording of this song. I wouldn't be surprised at all to discover that he played no instruments on it. Conversely, on ILTWAWD, Glenn does most of the harmonies himself except in a few short segments where you can hear the others. I really believe that this was far less of a band project than they would have us believe. I still have a tough time picking Glenn out of the harmonies. I hear him on "Do Something" now, but to me, it really sounds like Don's doing all those harmonies in the verses of LROE.