• Governor Gary Johnson/ Governor William Weld

0 0%
  • Dr. Jill Stein/Unknown VP canidate

0 0%
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: US Election 2016 Poll and Disscusion

Default Re: US Election 2016 Poll and Disscusion

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    since I've been on this board it's been an enjoyable political free place...I am disappointed that Nancy didn't choose to keep it that way...just my opinion...
    First of all, I totally respect that....and now I think it should probably be closed, I suggested it a couple posts ago. I can't say I'm disappointed as I have posted in this thread from day one. And I respect one not liking political/religious discussion. I respect choosing when and where if ever to share it. Me, I only share it anonymously, or at least not with the majority of friends on Facebook. Me, I prefer the opposite. Clean social media accounts and forum discussion.

But it is something that is contained within this thread, I understand if it's spilling into other threads, but it is contained within one thread and one can choose to ignore it and not participate if they shall do so. As long as it's only in this thread, you could close it or delete it without it at all changing the atmosphere here. You can also do the same while keeping it open if you don't let it spill out or start getting hasty with each other. And so far that has not happened. It's been pretty mild compared to most discussions, IMO.

I feel this discussion has been mostly positive, and everyone has kept their cool unlike on Facebook or any other forum. I think everyone who's posted should be proud for doing so and keeping it respectful. I don't think we've crossed any boundaries with each other, and I feel we have been level headed so far.

That said, I respect your opinion and I respect Soda's decision for closing or not closing this thread and allowing or not allowing this discussion in the future.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    FDR is the only president to ever serve more then 4 terms. I thought that was universall knowledge?
    Desperada and I are Irish and would not necessarily know all the ins and outs of the US political system. So thanks to the people who clarified her question. You probably don't know much about ours. Would you know without having to google how long an Irish presidents term of office is?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Desperada and I are Irish and would not necessarily know all the ins and outs of the US political system. So thanks to the people who clarified her question. You probably don't know much about ours. Would you know without having to google how long an Irish presidents term of office is?
    You shamed me. Not only didn't I know how long the term of office is, I couldn't even name the current president. But now I know that Michael Higgins is the first president since 1990 to not be called "Mary". I remember Mary Robinson partly because she was the first woman president at a time where there seemed to be big changes for the women of the Republic of Ireland.

For me, this thread gave a more personalised view of the US election. At times I found it shocking because of the strongly-expressed hostility towards Hillary Clinton expressed by a few but there were also well-expressed views from both sides.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I remember Mary Robinson too, because she is from Ballina, Mayo which is where my ancestors were from. I know of Enda Kenny because (again) he's from Mayo, he's quite handsome (IMO) and when he came over to visit President Obama a few years ago, many people misspelled his name as "Edna." A lot of Irish names are popular in the U.S., but Enda is not one of them.

I'm ashamed that this Michael Higgins fellow has been president since 2011, and I've never heard of him! Sorry.

I don't mind political threads On the Border because (1) I learn stuff and (2) it's relatively peaceful and civilized compared to other Internet sites, where the political content can be abusive.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

We're not too impressed with 'Enda' right now. Industrial unrest is tearing the country apart and he doesn't even notice. He's a good friend of my brothers though so I have to mind what I say. He is Taoiseach - head of government. But any laws made have to be signed in by the President (Michael D as he's known as) after they pass all stages. In theory he could challenge a law. In practice its rarely happened.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    FDR is the only president to ever serve more then 4 terms. I thought that was universall knowledge?
    Yeah, it is universal knowledge - so is what happened in Europe in the 1930s. Are you aware of that? If not I suggest you brush up on your history especially regarding Germany. You might find some familiar themes there.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

I don't want to comment on whether Trump is a good choice for the USA. I don't live there so I'm in no position to do so. However, I am worried about the effect he might have on us all, because of his views on global issues. I fear he is a man who could start WW3 on his own!

When asked what relationship he wanted with the UK he said 'they want to get back control of their borders and economy - why wouldn't we work together with people of the same mind?' I think he is forgetting that it is the VOTERS who want BritEx NOT the Government. Cameron resigned because the vote went against them! and parliament are currently trying to subvert the will of the voters. If Trump thinks he'll have the UK government eating out of his hand, I think he's wrong.

I am a BritEx supporter. My decision is a vote of no-confidence in our 2 main political parties because neither the Blair/Brown Labour government or the Cameron Conservative govermnent has acted to protect our NHS and Welfare state. Trump says the Chinese have been 'raping' the US. Immigrants from the EU have been 'raping' the UK. The problem has been brewing for a long time.
    British working people pay for the NHS(it's not so dissimilar to paying a health insurance policy), they also pay in order to secure benefits from the welfare state, including help for disabled people. Immigrants who come to our country, without money or having first secured a job, should not receive or expect to receive healthcare or benefits(they cannot get them in any other EU country). The governemnt should have make this the law but did not. If they had done so there would have been no call for a EU referendum. No free healthcare & benefits = less immigrants.

I'm not anti-foreigners and would have preferred the UK to stay in the EU, but our population is now well above what the UK economy can support. The government gave me no other option but to vote for BritEx in order to close our borders.

Apologies to those who don't like political discussion and for going a bit off topic, as this thread is supposed to be about the US election.

I haven't closed the thread because it seemed people were still enjoying posting in it, but if it were to become unpleasant, I'd certainly have no problem doing so.

Steph, there's also an Brexit thread here: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=6506 - I feel like I can't comment too much on that since I don't live in the UK, but it does appear nationalist trends are a global phenomenon.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I totally get that Soda...

This is something that scares me. This is indirectly about Trump, but more.

Today I landed in Florida on vacation and when we drove through McDonalds there was a big black truck with huge wheels and on the tailgate was PAINTED (not stickers) "TRUMP 2016" with his slogan. That's okay. A bit much, but okay.

What's not okay was the frog symbol of white supremacy, the KKK logo, the logo of two men in a sexual position with a circle and a cross through it, and the word "SAVAGE" above it. What was even more disgusting was a logo of God along with those logos. These were all PAINTED on his vehicle. It made me want to throw up. He's probably the guy who picks on black people, who assaults or insults LGBT people, who looks down his nose at foreigners, and who treat women badly.

See, not all Trump supporters are like this... I know that, of course. But they DO exist. The good natured Trump supporters like to brush the other side of his supporters under the rug and make it seem like not a big deal. It's a HUGE deal.

But TRUMP intentionally or unintentionally fuels the fire of these racist, homophobic, bigoted, xenophobic, misogynistic, bullying people like this man. It was going to be bad enough with him in the spotlight, it will be even worse with him getting the presidency. It sends the wrong message to people and says it's okay to be mean and judgmental and a bully. It is a disgusting, horrible thing.

I am anti-religion, but I am one who is not a hardcore atheist. Until this election I've never come forward for that. I will pray for people and myself but I don't pray as a Christian, Catholic, Baptist, Spiritualist. I pray to nature and I pray to an unknown higher power. I don't support bible thumping but I won't look down on those who do unless they use it as an excuse to tell others how to live THEIR lives. But IMO a lot of the christian people who are the things I said above use their political and religious beliefs for justifying their behavior. I don't care what the Bible says about homosexuality. In 2016, it's not okay to be against same-sex marriage. There are too many Kim Davis's out there. There are too many cops who are killing innocent black men because of the stereotypes. There are too many men forcing themselves on women. There are too many people bullying those who dare to be different or have a disability. And it will never be okay. It's also a person's choice on abortion. It's not the government's or other's business.

I DO respect Trump for saying he won't try to challenge the SCOTUS ruling on gay marriage, though Pence and other Reps want him to. It would be a disastrous step back for this country. I support a liberal, non-religion biased government and I support equality and equal opportunities for ALL. And I support those like me.