• Governor Gary Johnson/ Governor William Weld

0 0%
  • Dr. Jill Stein/Unknown VP canidate

0 0%
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: US Election 2016 Poll and Disscusion

Default Re: US Election 2016 Poll and Disscusion

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I will be honest and say that as far as I can see the majority of Irish people (and this is represented across much of Europe, particularly European heads of State)would prefer to see a Hillary Clinton led government. The General consensus is that she may not be perfect but at least she can hold herself. They fear Trump
    I think you're right GA. I don't think many people here in England would want to see Trump as President. He is a vile, uncouth man. His attitude and behaviour is a disgrace, and out of line with accepted European standards. A recent news report said that some countries(no names given) think that the US is becoming politically unstable. Their choice of president is going to be under even more scrutiny than usual.
    I can understand US citizens wanting action on their border issues (as did UK citizens) and Clinton is falling on this.
    It's certainly going to be an interesting election.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I will be honest and say that as far as I can see the majority of Irish people (and this is represented across much of Europe, particularly European heads of State)would prefer to see a Hillary Clinton led government. The General consensus is that she may not be perfect but at least she can hold herself. They fear Trump
    I think most Canadians feel that way as well.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    She won't do anything so extreme that it would alienate enough moderates to jeopardize a second term.
    Good point but she also "owes" a lot of people - interest groups if you will - who helped get her elected. She's on record as saying she "won't break up families" (code for won't deport anyone unless they're serial axe murderers) and favors open borders. I just can't go there, as much as I like and respect her as a person.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

With regard to immigration/deportation, it probably not widely known in the general public that President Obama has had the toughest deportation policy of any president in U.S. history according to the Department of Homeland Security. Hillary Clinton has said she will adopt a similar policy as President Obama.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obamas-deportation-policy-numbers/story?id=41715661

How many people have been deported under Obama?

President Barack Obama has often been referred to by immigration groups as the "Deporter in Chief."

Between 2009 and 2015 his administration has removed more than 2.5 million people through immigration orders, which doesn’t include the number of people who "self-deported" or were turned away and/or returned to their home country at the border by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

How does he compare to other presidents?

According to governmental data, the Obama administration has deported more people than any other president's administration in history. In fact, they have deported more than the sum of all the presidents of the 20th century.

President George W. Bush's administration deported just over two million during his time in office; and Obama’s numbers don’t reflect his last year in office, for which data is not yet available.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Agreed Dreamer.

As far as Hillary having interest groups, I think all politicians do to varying degrees. However DJT's potential ties to Russia concern me way more than the possibility of Hillary having interest groups that have supported her. I don't think she'd do anything to favor them by hurting us. Donald, I'm not so sure. He shrugs off the fact he's supported Putin. I think there's more to that but that's JMO.

I'm going to vote for Evan McMullin w/ his VP Mandy Finn, since he has a chance in Utah. I think he's a better choice than Gary Johnson. As a Republican, I feel that is my best option. He's a write-in ticket in California, and if both candidates don't reach 270 and he wins Utah, then I think the GOP-controlled House and Senate would go for McMullin over that son of an orange. I thought to myself earlier that I felt that my name might get pulled more frequently for jury duty if I vote for Trump based solely on party solidarity, not that I like him.

I know that this last thought sounds ridiculous, but hey, you never know. I live in a Democrat-controlled state that just passed more gun laws and now it allows illegal immigrants to buy Obamacare thanks to Governor Moonbeam (Jerry Brown).

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    With regard to immigration/deportation, it probably not widely known in the general public that President Obama has had the toughest deportation policy of any president in U.S. history according to the Department of Homeland Security.
    I'm sorry but that's a deliberate deception - they're playing games with the numbers. Even President Obama has admitted the administration's claims of record deportations are "a little deceptive."

A couple of years ago, they started counting people turned away at the border as "deportations" - i.e., they're padding the numbers by taking credit for removing tens of thousands of people who were turned away by Border Patrol. These cases (which were counted as "voluntary departures" before) represented about half of all "deportations" in the supposedly record counts of the Obama administration.

This is how they're able to give the false impression that they are vigorously enforcing immigration laws. In 2013, ICE agents encountered more than 700,000 aliens who could have been removed. Most were found in jails. But they took action against fewer than 200,000; meaning that ICE is now releasing more illegal aliens — including criminal aliens — than it is arresting (Source: Center for Immigration Studies, URL: http://cis.org/node/5082).

This op-ed in the Washington Post gives a clear explanation of the shifting terminology and dicey claims: "Lies, Damned Lies and Obama's Deportation Statistics" https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...on-statistics/

As an English guy with an American sister, I am watching the US Election with interest.

Here is an opinion from Bruce Springsteen.

Bruce Springsteen: 'Trump is a conman'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37696852

Quote Originally Posted by RudieCantFail View Post
    I live in a Democrat-controlled state that just passed more gun laws and now it allows illegal immigrants to buy Obamacare thanks to Governor Moonbeam (Jerry Brown).
    How did you feel when the Gov called your state "the other Mexico" and said to undocumented people, “You’re all welcome in California”? As if your state - or any place - can absorb millions and millions of people with no decline in the environment and quality of life. That's magical thinking, a denial of reality IMO.

I checked out this McMullin guy's web site; I like his views.

I didn't catch Brown saying that in the news, but I'm not surprised that such a statement like that would come from him. We're in a drought and traffic sucks. We don't need more people in my state. I've heard that traffic is much worse in Southern CA than here in Northern CA, and I can't really imagine how bad it really is over there. If I wanted to live in Mexico, then I would go there but I don't. Mexico doesn't have that great of a government, since they can't control the drug war as well as they should among other things. This isn't a race thing. It's just that Mexico is really close to the US and it's much easier to get in here illegally versus someone from Europe, Asia, or Africa.

I don't blame illegal immigrants for wanting to come here, since it's much nicer here than where they came from. However, just because it's nicer here, doesn't mean we have to let anyone who feels entitled to come in here. I agree with your statement, NMB. If the immigration was done legally, I don't have a problem with it.