Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Self-Titled LP Survivor

Default Re: Eagles Self-Titled LP Survivor

Earlybird. The chirps at the beginning are just jarring to me. Of course, I could lower the volume. Nah.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Get past the bird and Earlybird is pretty good! I really don't dislike any of these songs, but one has to go so

I vote for Tryin'.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Man, these Survivor threads are tough on Randy fans - his songs tend to get kicked off the island early

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I vote for Tryin'. For me, the album ends after PEF.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Man, these Survivor threads are tough on Randy fans - his songs tend to get kicked off the island early
    I was thinking the same thing. I think that "Take The Devil" is one of the best songs on the album. But, song preferences are all subjective.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I will start by saying that I really like this album a lot - I listened to it in full a couple of days ago in preparation and I find it very enjoyable to hear it in that way. I personally think it has several great songs, not at all of which were hits or are even fan favourites.

My least favourite song from the debut album is Nightingale, which I don't dislike but it's not a song I find myself playing much except for when I listen to the full album. I find it decent enough, but it's one of the very few Eagles songs that has never quite clicked for me. However, I suspect it will probably survive this time as right now it seems as though it will be either Earlybird or Tryin' that will be first to go.

Given that it will probably be one of these two, I will cast my vote for Tryin'. I personally think it is too soon for Earlybird to go. I personally find the infamous chirping amusing, but I think that's just my sense of humour! However, more importantly, I think Earlybird is a really good song musically. The harmony vocals (especially after each verse) are terrific - Randy and Bernie's vocals are wonderful here - and I love the combination of Bernie's banjo with Glenn's slide. The lyrics are 'youthful' but there is a clear focus to them and the song is great fun overall. I enjoy Tryin', but I don't think it's as good as a song - I agree with Soda in that the lyrics aren't great (unlike Earlybird, the meaning of the lyrics is vague) and musically it isn't the best rocker on the album. It works very well live, especially with the extended instrumental outro, but I think on record it doesn't stand out for the most part.

I absolutely adore Randy's bass work on Take The Devil. I was blasting this cut while driving the turnpike at 75 mph on Tuesday.

"And you're so hard to find." (Boom!)
    "Waiting so patiently." (boom)

Then, here comes those blasted chirping birds.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

This was never my favorite album by the guys and this is album way at the bottom. Only a few songs I like from this album.

With that being said. I'm voting for Earlybird. There's just something about that song I don't like. Maybe its the chirping of the birds at the beginning and I'm not really banjo fan even though I love country music.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Jonny, did you say the lyrics of Tryin' are vague, or did I misunderstand? To me, it's a straightforward tale of pursuing one's music dreams in the big city - it's very autobiographical for Randy (and all the guys in the band probably).

I like the slightly dissonant banjo and harmonies on Earlybird, and the way the electric guitar kicks in near the end.

And how could anyone not love Take the Devil?! It's Witchy Woman's tormented twin.

Stuck on the Border

In this case, he has quite a few songs in the mix (3 lead vocal, 3 writes/co-writes). He's either a singer or writer of 4 out of the 7 non-hits on the album.

Lyrically, I think Tryin' and Take the Devil are pretty strong. Tryin' seems to be autobiographical - a young musician coming to town and trying to make it while leaving his family behind and hoping that they will try to get on without him. I'm not so sure about Take the Devil - possibly about resisting temptation? Considering he wasn't a song-writer when he was in Poco, he'd come a long way.

I love the feel of Take the Devil. It's like Witchy Woman in that it has the native american sound. And there's that wonderful part where Randy's voice just keeps going higher and higher (around 2:23). I love the electric guitar, too - they had such an interesting guitar sound in those early days.

Tryin' is more straightforward musically. Bet it worked well live.

I also like Randy's "rock" vocals over the high vocals he's known for.

I've already voted, but I'd love for both of these to hang around for a few more rounds.