Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The UK and EU exit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default The UK and EU exit

Voted in the UK EU membership referendum today. Fingers crossed for a sensible result.

Border Troubadour

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Voted in the UK EU membership referendum today. Fingers crossed for a sensible result.
    I don't know how you voted, AT but I think the result is far from sensible!
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border

I agree DD. It nows seems like a world where Donald Trump and Boris Johnson could be meeting as US President and UK Prime Minister and that scares me.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

What happened in the UK is all over my various social media feeds and on the news. I never thought it would happen and it just seems like it keeps getting worse with what's going on now that they left the EU. I've even heard now it's likely Scotland and Northern Ireland will try to leave the UK, and Northern Ireland might rejoin Ireland. It's just crazy and I feel so bad for my UK friends and worried even more about our elections in November.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I dont tend to get political here but after over 800 years I can't see a NI, ROI reunification being that easy - not impossible but IMHO highly unlikely
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    I don't know how you voted, AT but I think the result is far from sensible!
    Fully agreed.

Can I say that even as someone in my 50s, I very much agree with this Financial Times comment that has gone viral. Particularly the bit about facts being ineffectual against myths in our society.

Stuck on the Border

My husband is British & would have voted 'leave' because he finds the oppressive bureacracy of Brussels & unlected fat cats dictating to sovereign nations too much. But then he hates all politiicans, both sides. I think they should have remained but there is a core of Britain which has always disdained Europe & refused to accept that the country was ever part of it. That is the core which won the argument.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Fully agreed.

Can I say that even as someone in my 50s, I very much agree with this Financial Times comment that has gone viral. Particularly the bit about facts being ineffectual against myths in our society.

Thanks for posting that, AT - that really sums it up doesn't it? Why didn't the 'Remain' campaign explain the consequences more effectively?

Boris and Donald - what a scary world! !!!
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Doesn't anyone else find the Financial Times piece condescending to those who voted to leave the EU? Just because one objects to open borders doesn't make you an ignorant bigot. Much of the U.S. press does this too: if anyone dares to suggest that uncontrolled immigration has some negative consequences, they are excoriated as racist.

I hope for the best for Britain; they are amazing people. I can't help but feel all the fear-mongering and predictions of doom by certain media news outlets is exaggerated. Let's hope so anyway.

Definitely hoping for the best for our British friends as you navigate these uncertain waters.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you