Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of Control: Eagles or REO?

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Out of Control: Eagles or REO?

I'm afraid the link to the REO Speedwagon cover isn't working for me.Every time I try to open the video I simply get an error message stating that the video isn't available. Shame, because I'd be interested in hearing it - I had no idea of its existence until now.

I think Glenn puts more passion into the song than REO. I love the gruffness in his voice on this one. I think it suits the song.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    OMG it finally makes sense now why I thought "Out of Control" sounded familiar when I heard "Desperado", I heard REO's version first. LOL My Dad is a huge REO Speedwagon fan. He has every album and just loves them (way more than my Mom, who is also a fan). When I was little my Dad would on his off days sometimes just blast his records (he still sometimes does), which I realized as I got older was him distressing from work, and that song I remember him playing a lot. LOL
    Whenever I'm playing that particular song on my 12-string, I always hear REO's version playing in my head. Always helps me to keep proper musical paceage and achieve a softer, more 'soulful' sound.

"River of Life," from the same album as the OOC cover, is also a great song, as is their "Dream Weaver" song(Not to be confused with the Gary Wright hit of the same name). Henley could have sung well on those had the alleged card game gone differently between both bands.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I think Glenn puts more passion into the song than REO. I love the gruffness in his voice on this one. I think it suits the song.
    I have to agree with you GL 100% just sounds a lot more complete with
    Glenn on vocal and the rest of the band. Sorry REO good try though.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I'm afraid the link to the REO Speedwagon cover isn't working for me.Every time I try to open the video I simply get an error message stating that the video isn't available. Shame, because I'd be interested in hearing it - I had no idea of its existence until now.
    The video wouldn't play for me either JCL. I was able to listen to Out Of Control here; https://myzuka.fm/Album/395830/Reo-S...e-Mean-It-1975.

It's great to know that such a well known act, adopted a minor Eagles track from, what would have been, an obscure and largely neglected album at the time.

I'm not that familiar with REO Speedwagon, I presume that they shared a bill or two with The Eagles.
    Would Reo Speedwagon have been bigger than the Eagles before the Best Of My Love and the One Of These Nights album?

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I think REO got more popular in the early 80s. I know most of the well known songs of theirs were 80s songs (Can't Fight This Feeling, Keep on Lovin' You, Time for Me to Fly), but a few got popular in the late 70s (Take it on the Run, Roll with the Changes). But again this was when Kevin came back as their lead singer (he didn't do the Eagles cover).
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'm not that familiar with REO Speedwagon, I presume that they shared a bill or two with The Eagles.
    Would Reo Speedwagon have been bigger than the Eagles before the Best Of My Love and the One Of These Nights album?
    I'm not sure if they shared any bills with the Eagles, but they shared a manager (Irving Azoff) in their early days.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...akout-19810319

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    The Eagles have always been bigger than REO Speedwagon.

REO were fairly unknown(even with the semi-played original versions of "Golden Country" and "Ridin' the Storm Out") until 1976, when "Keep Pushin'" was released as a single. 1978 saw the release of "Roll With the Changes" and "Time For Me to Fly" as singles, both of which were well out-stripped by the Eagles' Christmas-themed single later that same year.

Even when REO was really big in the first half of the 80's, Frey's & Henley's solo output(not to mention radio stations' continued spinning of old Eagles LP's & 45s) could still achieve more airplay.

If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border

Apart from the name, about all I knew of REO Speedwagon was that they were one of the acts Irving Azoff brought with him to LA. Perhaps he's the reason why REO recorded an Eagles song.

Having now read a Rolling Stone interview from 1981, I believe that in the early 80s they were more successful than Glenn Frey and Don Henley. Later in the decade, Henley probably surpassed them. However, it doesn't seem like they were ever more successful than the Eagles except maybe in their home town.

I haven't found a version of their Out of Control that will play for me, yet.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    ITA with this and it's no contest for me. The song title suggests that this song is supposed to be raw and hard-rocking and that's what we get with the Eagles' version. Sorry, REO Speedwagon, but I'm not interested in a polished rendition of this song with a horn section.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016