Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pre-Eagles History

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Pre-Eagles History

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I spent some time, a while ago, looking up very early Poco shows. They were always well regarded live. The track mentioned as the Poco show highlight was Randy's performance of Anyway Bye Bye.
    Funk, were you successful in finding early Poco shows (when Randy was still in the band)? I remember you mentioning in the Randy discography thread you were looking.

Border Desperado

I'm not too surprised that Johns was swayed by a song with Randy as lead. His voice is just so pure.

This article promoting Randy's One More Song album has a reference to the 1969 Poco show at the Troubadour with Randy singing Anyway Bye Bye. It also has some good tidbits on the Eagles start. One in particular caught my eye:
    That's when John Boylan entered the picture. He was producing both Rick Nelson and Linda Ronstadt, and one day in 1970, Ronstadt's bass player mysteriously fell ill. Meisner was asked to sit in at a show at Chuck's Cellar in Los Altos. "I still don't know if that was planned or not," Meisner says.

Regardless, this gig brought Randy together with Ronstadt's guitarist, Glenn Frey, and her drummer, Don Henley. Frey, according to Meisner, remembered hitching a ride on Sunset Boulevard from Randy during the Poco days. Meisner still doesn't remember the incident, but he'll never forget this gig.
    "Ronstadt hated my bass playing," Randy recalls. "She gave me some looks that could kill. It may not have worked out with her, but it sure got The Eagles together."
    I didn't know Ronstadt was not a Randy fan. Fortunately Glenn and Don liked him!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Funk, were you successful in finding early Poco shows (when Randy was still in the band)? I remember you mentioning in the Randy discography thread you were looking.
    The earliest video I found was pre Schmit but after Meisner had left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqmJESFg7tA

It's hard to believe that there isn't a scrap of footage of early Poco with Randy in the band but I haven't found any.

Here's a great archive of live Poco information; http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/deliverin/poco68-69.htm

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Good detective work, FWIW! John Boylan also got Randy his gig with Rick Nelson's band.
    Ronstadt thought Randy's bass playing was "too busy" but she liked his singing.

There should be one of those blue historical plaques on the site of Chuck's Cellar, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    The earliest video I found was pre Schmit but after Meisner had left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqmJESFg7tA

It's hard to believe that there isn't a scrap of footage of early Poco with Randy in the band but I haven't found any.

Here's a great archive of live Poco information; http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/deliverin/poco68-69.htm
    Hey, F50, I've got this Newport video on my Poco video collection and the whole time I thought that was Randy playing bass. Thanks for the new info.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you