Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Road Out of Eden: First Impressions Survivor

I have sailed on to Lahaina. Put up a neon sign 'Jesus is Coming'

Default Once again I cast my vote for "Somebody"

Not only do I just enjoy the remaining material more, which should be the only real standard. I am more inclined to keep songs collaborated by members of the band over others. No matter how long or how many times other writers have been around.

So once again I must vote for "Somebody"
    I've been biding time with the crows and sparrows while peacocks prance and strut upon the stage. If finding love is just a Dance, Proximity and Chance, You will excuse me if I skip the masquerade.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - it is time for me to vote. Although I like Center of the Universe, I'm not extremely fond of the verses. The harmony parts where Glenn chimes in and the chorus are gorgeous, and I'm not just saying that because I love Glenn so much. If the verses were as beautiful and melodic as the chorus in the song, it would be absolutely stunning. Also, I want to keep Joe's song around for at least another round or two, so ...

I cast my vote for Center of the Universe.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Results for Round 12 are the Center of the Universe

The twelfth song to be eliminated from Long Road Out of Eden Survivor is Center of the Universe. “Center of the Universe”, I know this is not where you want to be, but please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
    Center of the Universe – 6
    Last Good Time in Town – 5
    Long Road Out of Eden – 1
    Somebody – 1

Vote Breakdown
    Center of the Universe - DonFan
    Center of the Universe - Easyfeeling
    Center of the Universe - Maleah
    Center of the Universe – rcknalwys
    Center of the Universe – Glennsallnighter
    Center of the Universe – Ive always been a dreamer
    Last Good Time in Town - scottside
    Last Good Time in Town - timfan
    Last Good Time in Town – Mrs. Frey
    Last Good Time in Town – Brooke
    Last Good Time in Town – Freypower
    Long Road Out of Eden - SodaScouts
    Somebody – bdr529

Songs eliminated:
    I Love to Watch a Woman Dance 11/13
    Fast Company 11/15
    Frail Grasp on the Big Picture – 11/17
    I Dreamed There Was No War – 11/19
    Business As Usual – 11/21
    I Don’t Want to Hear Any More – 11/23
    Guilty of the Crime – 11/25
    It’s Your World Now – 11/27
    No More Walks in the Wood – 11/29
    Busy Being Fabulous – 12/1
    You Are Not Alone – 12/3
    Center of the Universe – 12/5

Songs remaining:
    How Long
    What Do I Do With My Heart
    Waiting in the Weeds
    No More Cloudy Days
    Do Something
    Long Road Out of Eden
    Somebody
    Last Good Time in Town

Voting for Round 13 begins now.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

This game is so wild! I'd never expect things to go down like they have. Songs that hardly receive a vote in prior rounds in the next round suddenly go down in flames, while others I thought would check out early tenaciously hang on. I love the unpredictability!

Since this has been a game of close calls and ties, I'll continue to think ahead for those tiebreakers.

I cast my vote for Long Road Out of Eden.

I hope I don't regret not waiting to do the strategic voting!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I have hardly said a word about Centre (I prefer to use the spelling I was brought up with) of the Universe. It's a pretty song but it doesn't seem finished. Don's voice sounds double tracked at the start of it. Some overblown comparisons which have been made with the Beatles go too far, in my opinion.

The persistence of Last Good Time In Town here is a huge surprise. I admit it is a departure for the Eagles in that it sounds so relaxed and positive (something I would also say about COTU).

And to bdr, there are songs by outside writers on this album, yes, but they almost count as Eagles songs because of who those writers are (Tempchin and Souther). Saying they are inferior songs simply because of that doesn't really work. I know you've been voting for Somebody. If you think the song is inferior, OK, but don't vote for it just because of the songwriting credit.

Anyway.... I cast my vote for Last Good Time in Town.

Hell, people can vote for songs because they don't like the letter they start with if they want to! Who's to say one reason is more legitimate than another? I voted earlier to save It's Your World Now more for the concept than for the quality of the song, as its tune doesn't sound too original to me. I don't think that was wrong. It's all subjective.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

It's legitimate, yes, but just saying a song should be voted off because a member of the band didn't write it doesn't seem quite right to me.

Default Let me clear up what I said.....

I did first state that Somebody was my choice because of all the remaining material I felt it was most deserving of my vote.

Let me ask this. Is choosing a song to be voted off because of who wrote it worse then saying I want to keep a song because it is the only one remaining by a certain artist? I believe not, this should be solely based one your opinion of the song.

Now please do not get me wrong. I have been an Eagles fan for more then 30 years now. I enjoy each member of the band on his own ability and recognize the fact that what each individual has accomplished on his own absolutely does not compare what they have been able to accomplish together.

This brings me to my point. We are at a point right now where the voting is very close and it becomes more and more difficult to choose a song each round. I feel of the remaining tracks there are five that stand above the others. So if there are three remaining I do not feel are part of that group and I have to find a way to choose which one to eliminate. The song I choose was the one I felt deserved it. I am not campaigning to eliminate songs. It is in my opinion the song most deserving to be voted off at this time. It is not the reason why I choose it.
    I've been biding time with the crows and sparrows while peacocks prance and strut upon the stage. If finding love is just a Dance, Proximity and Chance, You will excuse me if I skip the masquerade.

Default Surprise.......

Once again my vote goes to "Somebody"

I was not clear last time why, my bad. Its not necessarily who wrote the song but the lyrics and music themselves. It doesn't have the feel of their great works. The lyrics are simple for lack of a better term. Not that it is bad but there are better. It certainly was not the first song I would vote for, but its time has come.

For the record I happen to enjoy the Paul Carrack written "I Don't Want to Hear Anymore" Simply I think it’s a better song.

I would not have voted off "No More Walks in the Wood" so early either.

As I've said before, I haven't been able to participate in this game as much as I would have wished. I too have been surprised at the order in which the songs have gone down, although the remaining ones are among my favourites. I would have thought BBF would have lasted longer, and I am very surprised at COTU going at this stage - I would have put it in the top five. Do you know, if we repeat this after a year or so, I wonder if the voting will be similar? I have found already that songs that initially didn't make much impact are growing on me - IDWTHAM being a case in point. (I'm one who loves LWKUA too!)

Personally, I would love to see Somebody last to the final stages. I think it has a great Eagles sound and is one of the few real rockers on this album.

Anyway, let's not get too serious - this is just a game, and half the fun is tactical voting and defending one's favourite!

Reluctantly now, as I've championed it up until now,

I cast my vote for Last Good Time In Town

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...