Page 45 of 129 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Welcome TS82!!! Like everyone else has said it's totally normal and for me it's nice seeing other younger fans like myself born in the 80s & 90s. My parents luckily were Eagles fans so I've known their music and solo music my entire life.

I also agree about Glenn's solo songs, which I've always liked too. I do think the r&b influences kind of made my Dad not care for some of them but he did like "Smuggler's Blues" and "You Belong to the City", but my Mom on the other hand loved all of it. LOL I also remember my Mom singing and playing her keyboard along with "The One You Love" as she had that album on cassette. My Mom can play by ear and harmonize by ear, traits I sadly didn't inherit but it's amazing to watch her do that.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaSunrise82 View Post
    So this is officially my first post on this site. I admit, I have been coming here for some time but for one reason or another never considered participating. The past month however has been tough for me (as I'm sure it has been for all of Glenn's fans) and I finally decided to "join" the community.

I'll start by saying that I am a relatively new Eagles fan. Being in my mid-30s, I grew up with only a vague idea of who the Eagles even were. Being a child of the 80s however, I was always hearing Don Henley and Glenn's solo work without realizing who they were. It wasn't until a year or so ago that I was reading an article somewhere and saw that Lyin' Eyes (probably my favorite song of all time) was an Eagles song. So over to Youtube I went where I watched Glenn sing it...and that ladies and gentlemen, was it. I was hooked.

I've spent the last year learning as much as I could about the band and my favorite member, Glenn. It's part of my personality I guess, that when I find something I like I really like it and maybe get a tad bit obsessed. Well I was perfectly happy with my new "hobby" and absolutely loved finding new videos, songs, and photos (many on this site!). Then on January 18th I was in Atlanta for work and came back to my hotel room after dinner with colleagues. I felt a strong urge to watch an Eagles video and decided on their Tequila Sunrise performance from Voorburg 1973 because I love how happy Glenn is in that one...when I scrolled down to the comments I saw someone had posted something about Glenn being dead. My first reaction was that it was a cruel joke or someone simply didn't know who they were talking about. Sure enough another comment below said RIP Glenn Frey. With my heart pounding I googled his name and saw it for myself. I don't need to explain how it felt as I am sure all of you felt it too, but I was in tears and complete disbelief. I didn't sleep much that night and in the morning I was hoping it was all some kind of nightmare.

I don't know many people who are hardcore Eagles fans so I haven't spoken to anyone about how this all feels. I have never felt so heartbroken about the loss of someone whom I didn't even know. Sometimes I question if this is normal. Which leads me back to why I decided to join in these discussions. Reading all your posts here makes me feel like I am not alone. This is an amazing community and I am so grateful to have found you all.
    Welcome, TS82. We're here for you. What a shame that you had just begun to delve into Glenn the past year, only to lose him in January. That's so sad.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Out on the Border TequilaSunrise82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Welcome, TS82. We're here for you. What a shame that you had just begun to delve into Glenn the past year, only to lose him in January. That's so sad.
    Thank you Prettymaid, I think that's what makes it such a shock.

Stuck on the Border

Has this podcast been posted? I'm only 30 minutes into a 2 hour show and there's already plenty of good stuff.
    http://thesoundla.com/tag/glenn-frey/

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Has this podcast been posted? I'm only 30 minutes into a 2 hour show and there's already plenty of good stuff.
    No it hadn't been posted yet, UTW. I can't wait to listen to it. And if you follow the same link and scroll down a little, there is also an interview with Rusty Young from Poco where he talks about Glenn. I had that one on my list of things to post, so there you go.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Thanks so much for this link UTW. I was at a similar show in 1982 and the set list was almost exactly like this one although I don't recall him playing "Peaceful Easy Feeling." Overall, this is a spectacular performance and I love his version of "What's Going On." What a great trip down memory lane!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    Thanks so much for this link UTW. I was at a similar show in 1982 and the set list was almost exactly like this one although I don't recall him playing "Peaceful Easy Feeling." Overall, this is a spectacular performance and I love his version of "What's Going On." What a great trip down memory lane!
    I think you meant to quote a different link (this one). I agree with you about "What's Going On" but I also love the song that comes immediately before it, "Cool Jerk".

Border Desperado tequila mockingbird's Avatar

Unhappy Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Song that Jack Tempchin wrote for Glenn...

https://www.reverbnation.com/jacktem...res-no-goodbye

"The first thing that happens is you get some kind of label and you've gotta live up to it and then you just get caught in that. And, I forget what the second thing is." ~Joe Walsh

That is very nice

Thanks for the link. Lovely song.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten