Quote Originally Posted by steve_e_dee View Post
Hi all. Rarely do I comment (as evident by my number of posts), yet I do enjoy reading the forum.

I can't say Glenn Frey was my favorite Eagle, but from how I've felt the last week, he might as well as been. From when I was 9 years old (1975) until now -- the music has been the soundtrack to my life (like many of us here). I was glad I got to see them one last time when they played the Forum here in L.A...which was a great bookmark to my Eagles concert experiences (The 1st time was HFO in 93ish, and late 80's at the Long Beach Arena with Henley, Felder, Schmidt and Walsh)

I was chatting with a family member last week about this tremendously tragic news -- not just Frey, but Bowie as well (This family member loved them both). He wrote "Two powerhouses -- one a weird genius and one who was the essence of cool" My reply was that I agree, then added:

"Here's someone who blazed a path in many forms of artistry, and someone else whose songs played in the background as you had that first relationship, broke up with a longtime love, pondered your future or just hung out with friends and created memories --- can you choose which had more impact!?!" Needless to say, we both agreed (although I like and appreciate Bowie, Eagles were always at the top of my list)

There's been great things posted here and elsewhere -- the Cameron Crowe and Bob Lefsetz's top the list (I've subscribed to Lefsetz for years -- he emailed comments that people sent in that are as humbling as I've ever read - including Walsh, Leadon and JD Souther). It's quite amazing the love Glenn is receiving. Rightfully so, I might add.

While it's too early for anyone in the know to think about this, I do hope the remaining guys continue on. Not as Eagles, per say, but maybe as a "Celebration of..." from time to time.

Finally (and really the point of my writing), Bruce Springsteen played an acoustic version of Take It Easy in Chicago last week. While the YouTube links have been posted here, Bruce just posted an mp3 of his entire concert, which includes Take it Easy.

Its free to download until tomorrow (I think). The tracks are separated, so after downloading, you can enjoy just Take It Easy (if you choose). Anywho, the link for the show can be found here:

http://live.brucespringsteen.net/liv...hicago-IL.html

Steve
Thank you very much for posting that. I'm not really a Springsteen fan, indeed I didn't even own any of his music. I say 'didn't' as I decided to download the mp3 of the concert and have since added Bruce's Take It Easy cover to my music library, very nice it is too. I figured as it was free it was worth downloading even if I never listen to any of the other songs.

I was not around in the 1970s, but my parents, who did live through the decade and through the Eagles and David Bowie would agree with you and your family member about their relative importance - they admire Bowie but would probably consider the Eagles to have been a bigger part of the soundtrack of their lives.

Some more wonderful tributes to Glenn too. I loved the Hard Rock Café marquee. I also thought the article about New Kid In Town was first class and was glad to see it get recognised. Apart from the fact that my username here is taken from the song's chorus, I have loved it since I first heard it and it has if anything become even more of a favourite over time (I have to thank FP and Toni in particular for some wonderful posts about what makes it such a great song). It is so cleverly structured and outstanding in just all of the important aspects (lyrics, music, vocals and melody). The only thing that I felt should have been mentioned is that wonderful moment when the music gets darker/heavier with the 'where you been lately' line. That is a stand out moment even in a song that's full of them, as it marks a clear shift in the song's mood and story.

I'd read the Telegraph article a few days ago, it's a pretty good piece I think even if there's relatively little I hadn't heard before.