Page 63 of 92 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

I can't believe that it's been three weeks already!! I will never forget his music and I will forever have him in my heart!! His words and music takes on a whole new meaning for me now!! I love and cherish this man!! Long live Glenn Frey, in our hearts, through his music, and the videos!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I agree it's hard to believe it's been three weeks. I still keep hearing theirs and Glenn's solo music every day. Plus, thanks to the other thread I'm finally watching his eps of "Wiseguy" as I've never seen them and I'm loving it!!! My Dad loved this show and it originally aired when I was 3 so I don't remember these eps, but it was never on DVD and I had seen other episodes since my Dad has the other DVDs. I love gangster movies/shows/books and I'm so happy to finally see these. My Dad always talked about Glenn's arc and all the other music artists and now famous actors that were on it. I'm loving Glenn's character Bobby so much, his friendship with the Vinny character, the romantic suggestion of his and Debbie Harry's characters, and the bust of Tim Curry. It's comical at times and he was such a good actor. I saw his "Miami Vice" ep and "Jerry Maguire" years ago, but I'm loving these episodes. I still got one more ep to watch but I'm so happy being able to finally watch this.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Three weeks today. I broke down listening to the third verse of "Most of Us Are Sad" in the car... the one where you can hear Glenn clearly as he sings with Randy: "Love is here today... oh, the sun was bright. I will sing you far away... love is here tonight."

So many of those song's lyrics are relevant now. The song has always been grossly underrated, I think, but it takes on even more significance at a time like this.
    Story time! This song was my most-listened-to on Spotify during my almost-three-week Eagles music binge after finding out the terrible news. And I'd actually never listened to it before this! It came up on shuffle, I looked at the title, and thought, "Well... let's go with it."

And it got to that verse, and I sat there while this strange wave of melancholia washed over me. It struck me, upon that first listen, as an exceptional funeral song, especially with the "love is here today" verse. Saddening, yes, but that song was on my walking-to-class rotation for a long while afterwards. Something about walking to class in the bitter cold and dead of winter, yet with the sun still shining on most days, made me think that even though Glenn's gone, he's still with us through all the wonderful music he made.

So yes, Soda, that song is definitely in a new light for me as well. It's sad, but I think it has a glimmer of hope that everything will be okay in time.

...well folks, thanks for joining me on Tori Rambles About Eagles Songs.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Three weeks today. I broke down listening to the third verse of "Most of Us Are Sad" in the car... the one where you can hear Glenn clearly as he sings with Randy: "Love is here today... oh, the sun was bright. I will sing you far away... love is here tonight."

So many of those song's lyrics are relevant now. The song has always been grossly underrated, I think, but it takes on even more significance at a time like this.
    I've got the same feeling, sometimes it's really hard to listen to some songs...

"When you got no life to lose. Well, there's nothin' left to gain"

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I thought of Glenn a lot while I was at the ER. Just being in the hospital atmosphere made me think of him, especially when I heard the call that someone had gone code blue.
    On the way home, I heard Satisfaction by the Stones. I thought of the part in the documentary when Glenn mentioned being a junior who had had a couple of beers and sang that song with a group of freshmen.

Has it really been 3 weeks? It seems like only maybe 7 or 10 days. Of course, these past few week's have been a blur for me. I still haven't fully grasped that Glenn truly is gone.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I personally listened to the debut album the weekend after Glenn passed away. I felt better for it although there were a couple of songs that caught me by surprise - one was PEF ('This voice keeps whispering in my other ear, telling me I may never see you again' ) and the other one, which I really wasn't expecting, was Chug All Night ('On the day that I die, I just might scream, if I'm alive in the morning, I'll be alive in a dream'). Conversely, Take It Easy cheered me up as much as ever and MOUAS was comforting. I have listened to plenty of other tracks too. One of the best things I've found is to listen to the harder rockers, it's kind of reassuring to listen to Out Of Control or Heartache Tonight and hear his voice as loud and proud as ever. The lyrics of My Man are also resonating very strongly for me right now.

Today I was on a train journey and decided to listen to the Desperado album in full. I knew this would be quite moving as the album deals with life and death and is darker in tone than the debut. I was moved during Saturday Night in particular, and even more so by the magnificent Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise). But there was something very positive I could draw from the lyrics 'Is there gonna be anything left?' Yes, there is - namely all the great music Glenn and the other Eagles have left us, which I am sure will still stand up when they have all gone (hopefully not for a long time), and hopefully when we have all gone.

I'll end by naming five non-Eagles songs that have also been comforting in this sad time:
    - Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan)
    - Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)
    - Don't Let It Bring You Down (Neil Young)
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pink Floyd) (hence my current signature)
    - Find The River (R.E.M.)
    I was also listening a lot to the debut album and also some Longbranch Pennywhistle for some reason subconsciously going back to his beginnings and understand him a bit. I love that article in the Free Press about his Detroit days. I must I always wondered why he never shared any real details about how he got into music so to hear about the story of his uncle and the piano in the basement and getting high in the college parking lot was nice also a clear timeline of when he was in each band and left for california. The train tickets to visit a girlfriend remind me of things Ive done which is nice to see Glenn as an everyday character.

The fact we knew so little about his past in terms of any real depth made him more of a superstar; when in actual fact he just never wanted to be a mick Jagger type of celebrity, none of them did and thats how the Eagles found their identity.
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Without wanting to drift too far off topic, your comparison between Glenn and Mick Jagger reminds me a bit of a comparison I once saw between Ozzy Osbourne and Jimmy Page - it argued that although Ozzy was always making a big deal out of being 'weird' and 'scary' (e.g. biting off a bat's head), he wasn't actually that scary as he was playing all his cards so to speak, whereas Page with his bizarre interest in the Occult which he never really spoke about, was a much stranger character (so ultimately had more of a mythology surrounding him) as he wasn't deliberately emphasising how weird he was for the sake of publicity. The conclusion I draw from that is that I guess I like bands who don't tell their whole story to everyone.

Unhappy Re: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

After countless internet searches for any tidbit of new information, here I am...somewhat relieved to see that there are so many others experiencing the same feelings. I feel somewhat silly talking to friends and family and get the "are you STILL talking about Glenn Frey look". So, I hope that this will give me an outlet to express what others just can't seem to grasp.

Just like you, I am deeply saddened by this devastating loss. I have submerged myself even more into their music, videos and concert footage. Besides the grief, I am appalled and outraged at the lack of attention given by the media. Don't they understand what has been lost?! Regardless of what some may think, Glenn Frey was one of the most talented artists/songwriters to ever come along.

After listening to both old and new material, my appreciation for his immense talent has grown even more. They all have their own unique sound which I thoroughly enjoy. But, I'm AMAZED at how Glenn's voice was suited to sing ANYTHING! From the early sound of "Take It Easy", then his solo stuff including "The Heat is On" to "The One You Love"....it just seemed to come easy for him. You add the country ballad, "The Girl From Yesterday", and his latest smooth touch to "Shadow of Your Smile"....his voice just seems to make the transition between genres without any effort at all. The lyrics just seemed to flow and touch whatever emotion we may be feeling. Whether it was an upbeat tempo to match our mood, or a ballad to share with that special someone...it just seems to fit.

I was fortunate to see the Eagles in concert twice in 2014, and I will forever be grateful that I was blessed to experience their amazing talent and harmony in person. I regret that I didn't splurge and take my kids as well. I was amazed that they sounded even better LIVE! They didn't need the studio magic or bells & whistles in their show. How many artists today write ANY of their own music or sound even better after so many years?!

I'm heartbroken that he was taken much too soon. Most of all, it's tragic that he was taken from his family. I lost my Dad just a few months ago so I especially feel for his children. I hope they know in some way how grateful we are that they shared him with the world. I hope he had some realization of the huge impact that boy from Detroit made in this world. His velvet crooning will always be music to my ears and forever in my heart! <3

Out on the Border

Still so sad about Glenn's passing =[ I still sit here listening to my favorite Eagles tracks. Every morning on my way to school, I play Take It Easy at least once <3 I usually look forward to my commute to and from school so that I can listen to my Eagles cds throughout the whole ride =]

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

MommaT, beautiful words! Thank you for posting and welcome to the Border!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten